inTank Media Baskets

Photon 24".... tank size question...

fishstick41

Hey,

I am trying to find out the biggest tank I can make with this light... my original size was going to be 30W" x 30L" x 15H". Will this light work on the tank and grow corals anywhere in the tank. If not what is the size of your tanks with this light.

Thanks,

Martin H. Lawton

hmm.. I wouldn't trust it on something 30 wide. The light is only 8.5 inches wide. It is meant for rectangle tank. Depends on what type of corals too but it's not like we have rock next to the glass.

Post #10 shows a photon 24 over a 40 Breeder:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2379585

I currently have one on a 40 breeder as well but it is a macro/softy tank.

Maybe a superlux on a 30 x 30 mixed reef? Just my 2 cents..

wait, isn't it if you take off the optics off the more light is spread over the tank? .. how high above your tank is the fixture? I do plan on buying 2 fixtures in the future. but for right now i only have the budget for one. my plan is putting the high light corals in the center and then moving out. Thanks for replying by the way.

wait, isn't it if you take off the optics off the more light is spread over the tank? .. how high above your tank is the fixture? I do plan on buying 2 fixtures in the future. but for right now i only have the budget for one. my plan is putting the high light corals in the center and then moving out. Thanks for replying by the way.

Yeah, remove them to get 120 degrees. Mine is about 8-9 inches above.

If you already have the tank, a superlux may be a better option. They are meant for 24x24 for full SPS or 30x30 mixed reef.

Logan and I had a long conversation over E-mail and at the end he is telling me to get the photon 24". I'm probably going to end up buying one now and waiting until the tanks cycles and buy another one.

hmm.. I wouldn't trust it on something 30 wide. The light is only 8.5 inches wide. It is meant for rectangle tank. Depends on what type of corals too but it's not like we have rock next to the glass.

Post #10 shows a photon 24 over a 40 Breeder:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2379585

I currently have one on a 40 breeder as well but it is a macro/softy tank.

Maybe a superlux on a 30 x 30 mixed reef? Just my 2 cents..

lol that's my tank

it will work fine over a 30" tank, it covers my 36" 40b just fine.. that pic looks dark at the ends but it's just because the middle is so bright, the edges get dimmed by the camera (just the nature of led's, or any point source light really).. in my build thread, towards the end, I have some pics that show how bright the ends are, which makes the middle look washed out because it's so bright..

OP asking about 30x30 might be tough, I'd probably do two 24's parallel to each other.. I think reefbreeders says like 24" wide per unit..

Do you think the controller on the photon is worth the extra $100?

for me? yes.. for you? I don't know, maybe or maybe not..

it would probably be fine with 30x30 with 120 optics (or optics removed).. front to back is what would concern me, not side to side.. but if logan said it'll work then it should be fine.. I think he tends to err on the side of more light than less..

Archived