Pod Your Reef

What is this stuff on my duncan and zoas

my_sons_reef

Ya the white on the zoas is most defiantly a type of sponge. I had a similar problem I took the rock out of the water for a few minutes which killed off the sponges. This does not work with all species of sponge but its worth a try. Otherwise manual removal will be your only option.

As MikeTR said, the brown specs are flatworm and the white stuff is sponge. I had the white sponge choke out my GSP, various zoas, and mushrooms. It kinda pisses you off because they grow insanely fast. Never had a for sure way of getting rid of it without damaging the GSP or shrooms. Scrub as much off as possible with a toothbrush is all I really know. Zoas can handle being out of the water for long periods of time (it happens to them during low tides).

Word of Caution: Wear gloves and protective eye and skin gear when handling them as they can squirt and/or secrete a palytoxin which could possibly blind you or something even worse... Good luck with it! :)

If a sponge is actively growing in your tank I say leave it, they are pretty beneficial and add to the tanks diversity. I don't see them as a nuisance at all only a few choke out corals and those shoot out runners.

Hey hey (haha), his does look like the kind of white sponge I had and they did shoot out the runners. I know the yellow and black sponge are pretty beneficial and harmless, but I didn't see the white one beneficial, just bothered my corals... though his may be a good white one.

Did the first treatment of Flatworm Exit and it killed a bunch. I did another water change this morning to be safe. I'll see if I need a second dosage tonight.

Archived