ReefCleaners.org

Ice Fire Echinata show off thread!

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hey all,

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an Ice Fire Echinata. Convince me!

Observations about care and actual color (vs. vendor photos) will also be appreciated.

Thanks! ;)

I don't have any experience with the Ice Fire echinata, but I did have a very nice Hawkins echinata (although some question whether it is an echinata). It was a fairly easy and hardy acro to keep. I placed mine in lower lights with medium flow.

Hawkins_001.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Nice colony and nice pic!

Yes, I've had the hawkins as well. Loved that one. I think it's actually a turaki. Better growth pattern than enchinata IMO, but I want more blue which is why I'm interested in the Ice Fire.

bumpage...someone has to have it!!?

If it has the white base don't hesitate, just buy it you won't regret it. One of these days I will track it down again myself, its a very beautiful piece with IMO a nice growth pattern.

Its been a while since I've seen it, had it, or seen anyone that had the original.... its very temperamental (although hopefully not as bad since its been around a while now) as well and likes to brown out when you cut it so most don't often.

Mr. Microscope

If it has the white base don't hesitate, just buy it you won't regret it. One of these days I will track it down again myself, its a very beautiful piece with IMO a nice growth pattern.

Its been a while since I've seen it, had it, or seen anyone that had the original.... its very temperamental (although hopefully not as bad since its been around a while now) as well and likes to brown out when you cut it so most don't often.

Awesome! Thank you for sharing your experience with this piece. I especially appreciate your observations about its temperment.

so...

1inch-ice-fire-echinata-48-inventory-8.j

....Thursday.. ;)

Awesome! Thank you for sharing your experience with this piece. I especially appreciate your observations about its temperment.

so...

1inch-ice-fire-echinata-48-inventory-8.j

....Thursday.. ;)

No problem, I have had quite a few of the "old school" pieces, or had experience with them at my old LFS. Note the "brownish" ting to the base on this one, I would bet that it was fragged around a month ago and still being a little pissy lol Should turn out to be a real stunner for you in time tho :)

Looks like a good size piece as well, nice pick up for sure IMO.

No problem, I have had quite a few of the "old school" pieces, or had experience with them at my old LFS. Note the "brownish" ting to the base on this one, I would bet that it was fragged around a month ago and still being a little pissy lol Should turn out to be a real stunner for you in time tho :)

I don't believe that is the actual piece Mr. M is getting. It is UCs' stock photo of one. We'll need to see what he actually gets......

http://uniquecorals.com/coral/acropora-echnata-aussie-ice-fire-echinata-1-stock-frag.html

I have ordered from UC before, so I'm sure it will be a nice frag.

I don't believe that is the actual piece Mr. M is getting. It is UCs' stock photo of one. We'll need to see what he actually gets......

http://uniquecorals.com/coral/acropora-echnata-aussie-ice-fire-echinata-1-stock-frag.html

I have ordered from UC before, so I'm sure it will be a nice frag.

Not WYSIWYG is kinda blah this day n age but whatever as long as it is similar I guess... but the comment about the brown base still stands regardless lol

Most echinata's are coming in tan/brown with blue tips these days. I haven't seen any "icefire's" in a while. Honestly, even the tan/brown versions are very nice. Such an awesome growth pattern on this one. IMO, you really can't go wrong regardless. That said, yeah, the actual icefire is by far the nicest.

Chris is spot on with the description/warning about echinata's. They will brown out if you look at them wrong, lol. However, IME, they tend to be fairly hardy once established :).

I almost picked up an echinata today, but I'm loaded up on SPS atm. Need to clear some space before I bring any more in.

Most echinata's are coming in tan/brown with blue tips these days. I haven't seen any "icefire's" in a while. Honestly, even the tan/brown versions are very nice. Such an awesome growth pattern on this one. IMO, you really can't go wrong regardless. That said, yeah, the actual icefire is by far the nicest.

Many of the ones that have made it in over the years have always had similar colors, an occasional green or even purple but rarely anything else that I've seen....

Chris is spot on with the description/warning about echinata's. They will brown out if you look at them wrong, lol. However, IME, they tend to be fairly hardy once established :).

Definitely can be hardy once settled in.... typically brown out a bit still IME even after doing great for a while if you cut them again tho, but time will heal that so its not a big downer but notable anyway. :)

Archived