Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Light spillage on rimless/canopyless tanks

jabeuy

Tank I'm getting made is gonna be 13" high, with the stand at 31". So when you sit, it's right at eye level.

What I'm worried about is light spillage, and being able to see the LEDs when you sit down.

I ended up getting a current orbit marine for my 10g tank, b/c it sits right on the tank so no spilling there. But for this build I wanna get a stronger set of lights

Does anyone know of any good lights that sit on the tank? I know of buildmyled, but have to wait for their new channel controllable lights. Or would a floating canopy help much here?

Thanks

Does anyone know of any good lights that sit on the tank? I know of buildmyled, but have to wait for their new channel controllable lights. Or would a floating canopy help much here?

A floating canopy will help but you will still get some spillage, especially depending on how much lower the canopy is then the bottom of the LEDs. I had one on my 70g, it was nice and helped with spilling into the room but it wasn't as good as a full canopy would have been..... that said I am highly considering another floating canopy for my upgrade thats coming soon.

Same problem. My tank sits next to my home office desk. I started out with a Radion and with it 9 inches above the water line it got me right in the corner of the eye..all day..every day. Lowering it down low enough so to minimize the blinding glare, I didn't have the proper coverage. I thought about a std canopy and as well as a floating but that didn't go will with my space or décor. Ended up with an ATI dimmable T5 that is low enough not to be a problem. Like it better anyway...so win win. The canopy idea might work out just right for you. Whatever you do...do it now before water!

Another cure....I have seen photo's of Kessils hung in some really nice lamp shades and surprisingly they looked better than any floating canopy I have seen. With the 1000's of lamp shades and a little DIY might find one to fit just about any pendant or semi-pendant type LED.

A floating canopy will help but you will still get some spillage, especially depending on how much lower the canopy is then the bottom of the LEDs. I had one on my 70g, it was nice and helped with spilling into the room but it wasn't as good as a full canopy would have been..... that said I am highly considering another floating canopy for my upgrade thats coming soon.

Hey Chris, do you have any pics of that canopy? I only see your 40B thread :)

Edit: nvm, I found it haha

Archived