Pod Your Reef

ADA 60p Soft Coral Mangrove Peninsular - Long overdue update

East1

Tank's still going strong.

I haven't changed water since a week after I upgraded to the 30c, which is pretty impressive, I've just been dosing a full set of trace elements. One damselfish got sucked into the overflow pipe, and one has been rehomed for aggression so i'm down to two yellowbelly and one talbots damsel, which I think based on the total reduction of aggression, probably works best for the tank.

I'll get a decent updated after my last final, I'm done on Thursday!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've been super lazy! I'll get one up, the tank was pretty overgrown with red filament algae, I cleaned it well today so I'll post updates when the dust settles

• Like 1

It's been an absolute age! I finished final week, then disappeared to seeing my girlfriend and playing videogames, it's been fun! I got confirmation that I graduate with a solid grade today, so I'm pretty chuffed. I have some photos for everyone who's still following this.

The bad, after some time left uncleaned. I think the fluffy red algae is actually a cyanobacteria, it grows insanely fast, and nothing I have eats it.

9eUwfHD.jpg

Finally, after some cleaning and removing 250ml of that stuff.

VLqyP0v.jpg

The corals are growing really well, and have strong coloration. I need to top up my collection of Zeo products, I think I've hit a nutrient point where the corals are very visibly showing the effects of change in the chemical concentrations.

I addded another two mangroves, too. I'm tempted to remove all the fish and get a single stunning centerpiece and just go with the tiny goby species now.

W9tRs6b.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Cyanobacteria is frustrating beyond belief. I'm trying a combination of Pohl's Coral Snow, Zeobak and CyanoClean from Zeovit.

it's odd, it's like a bushy filamentous thing, but it's definitely cyano.

• 4 weeks later...
HarryPotter

I'm still around!

so is the last of the cyano

pIiyjad.jpg

You should try ChemiClean. Ive used it on three aquariums, and within three days the Cyano is gone to never return..

Its an amazing product, and is totally reef safe Look up some reviews!

Tank looks awesome :)

You should try ChemiClean. Ive used it on three aquariums, and within three days the Cyano is gone to never return..

Its an amazing product, and is totally reef safe Look up some reviews!

Tank looks awesome :)

+1 to chemiclean. I used it on my mangrove tank that was disgustingly covered in cyano and it cleared it right up.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! You can see from the last 2 sets of photos, the cyano has gone down quite a bit, I've used a daily dose of 2ml Pohl's Coral Snow, along side 1ml of A Balance, 2 drops each of ZeoBAK and CyanoClean and over 2 weeks my problem is almost gone.

I've been pretty lax with testing and dosing, so I've ordered new test kits and I should be back on top of it within the week!

• Like 1

The tank gets a decent amount of sunlight anyway. The Zeo additives are actually bacterial strains, one for general nitrification and the other to outcompete cyano, coupled with coral snow which is a flocculant and just pulls stuff out of the water

• Like 1

Dude, beautiful. What exactly do you dose because im looking to colour up my sps :)

I dose Red Sea's Reef Colour package, I used to test and dose, but now I just dose 0.5ml a day. I dose it automatically by adding 10ml of each to 2L of water and dosing 100ml a day. I also dose Pohl's Xtra at 1ml a day, Nitrates at 0.2ppm net change a day.

When the tank looks slightly yellowing I dose Coral Snow with ZeoBAK and some A-Balance and it clears it up pretty fast.

I've got some other amino acids, and a trace element solution I also add but I don't notice a difference when I forget to dose these.

• Like 3

Looking good! Thats a neat little sps garden there. How long have you had the damsel? I love those guys, but I ended up getting rid of mine after he made it a habit of nipping at my gorg.

I've actually removed a number, I had 5 originally of the yellowbelly and 3 talbots, but as aggression became an issue from the dwarf angel, I'd slowly removed them over a number of months and I'm now just left with the angel.

I didn't have any issues with them, they would re-arrange the sand occasionally but intra-species aggression wasn't really an issue, it was more that one would get singled out by the dwarf and picked on. I think if I got the chance to re stock the tank, I'd just do it with damsels and gobies.

My dwarf is a nipper, she goes for any of my SPS polyps so I don't have much daytime polyp extension, but it's not the end of the world.

Photos:

I really like this angle, it makes the tank look huuuuuuge!

YdQMMHf.jpg

I lost some coral colour after going on holiday for a week, coming back for graduation and not really being on top of dosing and maintenence, but it's starting to bounce back

7gT3nCi.jpg

• Like 4

Ah thanks man! It means a lot especially after the hours of work I've put in!

I forgot to mention, the oldest mangrove is starting to outgrow the Radion, so I've added another desk lamp with a 6500k LED directly above it, it's newest set of leaves are small and shrivelled compared to the older foliage and I think it's due to poor lighting