Cultivated Reef

ADA 60p Soft Coral Mangrove Peninsular - Long overdue update

East1

How did you feel about the Talbot's? I'm looking into either getting one or a trio for my 30g. I know you took them out because of aggression issues with the lemonpeel but if they were in a bigger tank do you think I would have any issues? I'm more worried about them terrorizing other fish

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How did you feel about the Talbot's? I'm looking into either getting one or a trio for my 30g. I know you took them out because of aggression issues with the lemonpeel but if they were in a bigger tank do you think I would have any issues? I'm more worried about them terrorizing other fish

I think of all the damsels, the chrysiptera family are the least agressive, and these are the most timid of the family, they sorta take a 2 inch cube area of the tank as territory and just hang out there. If I had a 30g I'd probably be tempted to add 5 or so at once.

in other news, the lemonpeel passed while I was away for a week and had the tank automated, I'm not sure why / how because the body was eaten (I assume, I can't see anywhere she could have jumped to) so the tank's had nothing but a single yellowtail damsel. I've since added a four-striped dascyllus damsel but I think I'm going to shy away from angels till I can house a regal. I found a brilliant sub-adult red-sea specimen, fat and eating at my LFS with most of it's eyespot still, but close to 4 inches, and I don't have the space nor the budget which actually broke my heart!

• Sad 1

It does, a lot. I watched her grow from a tiny little thing, the upside is that my SPS aren't permanently retracted now.

I've also just paid for an AI Sol to augment my lighting, I want to raise it because there just isn't enough spread for the mangroves to grow properly at the height I have the Radion, even with a 20ish watt LED right above the larger mangrove, the smaller one is growing directly toward the LED puck of the radion.

I'll run them both at about 30" from the sandbed, and should have around 650 par at this distance, according to stock measurements at the moment I'm getting around 550 or so with just the radion.

It's been a year since I added saltwater to the old 1.5 gallon pico I started. I look at the reef now and how far it's come, especially the mangrove and I somewhat impress myself.

I got a pair of birthday presents, one is a second hand AI Sol, though when it arrived I think a single led on a puck has blown and broken the circuit of one of the blue LEDs, anyone have a fix or any suggestions? it just serves to augment the mangroves and I think it's suitable, it does provide the most awesome spread of light, despite the overspill.

I've purchased a tiny changing Majestic angelfish, he's smaller then the lemonpeel was and is able to spend about 60% of it's time darting from crevice to crevice, it's a very cryptic fish and lives under the larger of the leather corals. It taken to New Life Spectrum from day one, and is looking fat and healthy.

I think it's time I start planning an upgrade, though. I move out toward the end of the year and I'll be moving the inhabitants to a new system by then I hope. I'm thinking a 24x24x15 or so, with a deep (6"-10" sloped) sandbed and semi-submerged liverock, I want to try and bring the Iwagumi style of aquascaping by creating variations in the sand supported by liverock, with semi submerged rockwork. I'd mostly just be glad to have a sump with more than 4" access!

I'll have pictures up possibly tomorrow.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I promised photos but I've had a bit of a headache with the box recently. I tested my water a few days ago to find my kH at 9 (I aim for 7-8) and my calcium at a worrying 275! I brought the parameters back in check with a water change and increased dosing, but two of my sps have started to shed some tissue, the larger brown acro in the middle lost a few spots at the base and a large strip up the side, and the green millepora lost two branches at the back. Oddly, the spots that started to slough tissue are spots that didn't show much, if any, growth in recent weeks, so I wonder if that's got something to do with how a coral sheds tissue.

c3SUxUdl.png

I hope having my parameters stable again will halt the recession, but all my other SPS seem to be doing fine. I've included the only good photo of my new Majestic, as well as some changes to the background of the tank, but when everything's smooth sailing I will update with a proper set of photos!

WAoCErD.jpg

rSnoGP6.jpg

• Like 2

looking great, is the mangrove aesthetics or does it help in anyway?

They help a tonne with nutrient and organic removal. Even when I did like one water change per 3 months or something, the water was clear without any yellowing, even without running carbon

Looks good, Ada tank?

Yep! The first I've owned, it's a 60P. I'm not too sure how I feel with the overflow hole being so low, but it allows for a really dramatic standing wave. I need to post a vid!

• Like 1
Yep! The first I've owned, it's a 60P. I'm not too sure how I feel with the overflow hole being so low, but it allows for a really dramatic standing wave. I need to post a vid!

Yeah! ada tanks are very high quality-sad that the Takashi Amano passed away.

I'm doing a short video right now myself-once I hit the 5th page i'll upload it

• Like 1

a video would be awesome

Yeah, I need to wait out the diatoms on the new sand and I'll get one posted!

Yeah! ada tanks are very high quality-sad that the Takashi Amano passed away.

I'm doing a short video right now myself-once I hit the 5th page i'll upload it

I'm actually so envious of that colour. I get almost close to it with my settings but it just doesn't look nearly as crisp for lack of a better word. I wish these things had like 3-4k white in the mix.

Absolutely good call on the upgrade,but why add a Sol to the mix ? I know the Radion had to of been more than enough lol.

It's actually just for the mangroves, they require a surprising amount of light - more than just a 36w light or some spill from the Radion, the extra coverage on my SPS is useful, though.

It was definitely needed, I'm actually amazed at how much space all my coral took up! I'm after a few small zoa frags to fill out the sandbed-rock divide.

The saddest of news, my Majestic angelfish died, it went on a hungerstrike and passed after a few days. I suspect it's an intestinal parasite but I ran an antibiotic course so I was caught by surrpise.

A tank in mourning

GvEWD9D.jpg

• Like 1