Top Shelf Aquatics

ADA 60p Soft Coral Mangrove Peninsular - Long overdue update

East1

3f6947baaf.png
679388a4c3.png
15d832ed99.png

Things looking a little stressed after the K overdose, lost my acro colony too but I kinda like the empty space. Some of the healthier corals are really coloring up which keeps me hopeful! AIO biopellets quickly sorted out my cyano problems too which is handy

• Like 1

I really like what you've gr going on here. Just be VERY careful with Zeo supplememts,I dosed a lot of their stuff in my 2 gallon and lost 8-9 SPS frags within just a few days. I think I was dosing: ZEO Start 3,Zeo Food 7,k-Balance,b-Balance,ZeoBak,Phols Xtra,Coral Vital,LPS Amino's and Sponge Power.

If you want some colors,just dose Phols Xtra,and just go with your par LED bulb you got. Just be careful with Phols,it'll give you brown algae if you dose it too much. And K-Balance will do more harm that good in this size tank,especially if you're not testing for it. 400-410ppm is where most people keep their tanks but some report amazing colors at 420-440ppm.

Yeah it seems that at least once a tank I overdose K, usually I dose a drop of potassium, iron, iodine and halogens and whatever Red Sea has for blues, along with 1ml of salifert coralline amino acids and half a ml of pohls xtra. I use sponge power, CV and zeobak as needed.

I did have terrible cyano problems but that was down to phosphates and they've cleared up within a week of adding aio biopellets. I still do worry about the issues of dosing such a small tank, there are times when a drop is too much

My pH drops to 7.35 sometimes at night, especially in winter because I close my bedroom window and this worries me sometimes. Turns out all it took was 4 meters of airline tubing allowing the skimmer to draw air from outside, tank's been at 7.93-95 well beyond when it would be normally.

My ph's been stable between 7.95 and 7.89 now for 24 hours which is coo, might be why my acropora doesn't do well in my tank?

My girlfriend also saw my tank for the first time and left gems such as

"It doesn't look that tiny in pictures"

"I can't believe how much you've done with something so small"

so I took a picture for scale

5ee07d0abe.png

• Like 3
Had a dreadful experience with H2o Aquatics today if anyone in the UK is reading - After contacting the courier company for a non-delivery I was informed that the parcel was mislabeled, I'd called in the store and they were more than happy to help, however today when I called the lines were busy/down and so I posted on their sponsor forum over on UR, where I was graciously accused of not following up with the store enough and jumping to assumptions that the parcel was mis-labeled.The customer service comes with the levels of finesse I'd expect to see when I eat at McDonalds

I have also had a terrible experience with them. I ordered the fauna marin balling salts one of them arrived bashed up half empty and fully solid. The lid was unusable and so was the powder inside because it had got wet and dried out. Phoned them up, they said "left us fine and you signed for a box full of stuff" it wasn't even me that signed it lol. Nvm it coulda been worse, like my 23kg salt bucket every where

• Like 1

It's tiny!

What do you do for nutrient removal?

At the moment just AIO Biopellets and the BM Nac5e I have, the tree doesn't do /that/ much judging by how much goop I get in the skimmer - bacteria I assume from the pellets

1170_1236646826720_400_289.jpg

I tried to resist, sorry. :lol:

hehehe

I had a nice rescape last week Sunday, and I picked up a lovely tank grown pocillopora colony from my LFS. The smaller one is sulking because I bumped it around before the photo but you'll just have to deal. I really like the lack of rock now and the ample little nooks and crannies I've created. I'm still very wary of adding an acropora again after the last one stripped so I'm going to wait till things have coloured up and growth is taking off before trying another frag.

On the whole the tank's maturing really well and things look pretty good

gi1zKHd.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah I need to, it's a Canon D300 I think? I need to learn how photography works too, I just wanted to get pictures to illustrate that the tank is more crisp white than it is purple, the iPhone screws with colour :D

Thanks! I was trying to make it as clean as possible once I figured out how, I did have to add a small powerhead recently though I've ordered a second lily pipe to make my closed loop a two-outlet system

• Like 1

I added a nice Porities Cylindrica and an A. Millepora, as well as a small frag of A. Plana. The poccillopora colony at the back is slowly going pinker as time goes on grin.gif

The new additions necessitated more flow, so I've upgraded the closed loop to a maxi-jet MJ1000 and I now have two outlets, a lily pipe round the back and a standard jet outlet pushing water over the center. I've got 2/3 of the flow out of the jet and 1/3 round the back and everything's looking great.

I've also started to dose nitrates semi-regularly now, to keep everything growing healthily. I'm currently adding 0.02ml twice a week which equates to 0.08ppm twice a week. I don't test for it, though. I really should - the only test I run even remotely regularly is Alk

a0cdf53e2d.png
4b49f10a21.png

• Like 4

The lovely little lady got me an Ogles Mesoscope which has distracted me for most of the day, it's a bit tough getting photos with it but I'll get there!

• Like 1

On a tank this small a swing can happen very fast - my Calcium dosing bottle ran dry when I was out over the weekend, and I only noticed because my Pocillopora colonies both had terrible polyp extension, when I checked it, it had dropped 10ppm in the 24 or so hours that it wouldn't have been getting dosed, fortunately I caught it in time, and I manually upped the ca level by 10, only to see both colonies open up within 15 minutes