Coral Vue Hydros

Good website reference for livestock ?

Han Solo

hey everyone. I notice I usually start with a site like saltwaterfish.com or aquacon to do initial research on a specific coral/fish, just to see basic info like "reef safe" or minimum tank size. A lot of information is contradicting between each retail store, and usually not comprehensive enough to care for the coral. Problem is those sites have a huge database of corals and other livestock and is really easy to browse through pictures of course.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of sort of a "wikipedia" style reef tank database?

Searching through forums and other FTS of people online is a good way to discover now looks, but I'm thinking a compressive database may be a good idea. A wiki would be even better considering the wide variety of care techniques that exist in the hobby! Maybe I'll have time soon to get one set up :)

Liveaquaria has saved me from purchasing bad decisions while shopping around the Lfs. For example, when I asked my lfs for an easy, beginner fish that would swim in the middle of the water column in a 16 gallon nano and they recommended a cleaner wrasse. Liveaquaria saved me from making that mistake. Quick and handy guide.

NOT aquacon. Seriously, just don't.

Another vote for the liveaquaria/bluezoo combo... usually they'll give a decent basic "should I/could I" level of information.

If it's listed, thereeftank's reviews section on livestock are another good source as you can get a more "I added it and this happened" idea.

Archived