Innovative Marine Aquariums

safe blackout duration?

amored

so i am attempting to get rid of various types of pest algae that i have been battling on and off for months. bryopsis, GHA, diatoms etc. phosphate is testing as undetectable on a salifert kit and nitrates hover around 5 ppm. i tried tech-m dosing for the bryopsis and it helped a little but not totally.

SO- i have a mixed reef here, some acros, montis, LPS and softies. one neon dottyback, a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp, and a pincushion urchin (who is eating god knows what because it's certainly not eating the pest algae).

i'm thinking 3-4 days, BUT:

1. can i go longer?

2. water change before AND after, or just before/just after?

3. do i continue feeding/dosing during the blackout?

thanks!

I ended up blacking out my tank on accident for over a week. I was out of town for a couple weeks and my roommate was supposed to be taking care of the tank. When I got back everything was quite pissed, but they all recovered. Mine is a mostly lps tank, a couple candycanes, a frogspawn, some ricordea and a hydnophora frag.

Before this, I had a growing red turf algae problem and some hair algae as well. I added a Mexican Turbo who did a decent job of trimming everything back but after the blackout I had absolutely no trace of algae left. Its been two months since then and still algae free.

So, the TL;DR I'd probably say a week would be the upper limit. Feeding during that time I don't think should be an issue, and I would just keep whatever water change schedule you currently have. I personally change about five gallons every sunday and that works well for me

72 hours should get rid of most cyano and algae. How long has you're tank been set up? You don't have to feed, but if you do won't hurt anything if it's a minimal amount. Fish can go well over 72 hours without eating. The fish will hunker down like they do at night so they will be in a subdued state of activity anyway. What are you dosing.

72 hours should get rid of most cyano and algae. How long has you're tank been set up? You don't have to feed, but if you do won't hurt anything if it's a minimal amount. Fish can go well over 72 hours without eating. The fish will hunker down like they do at night so they will be in a subdued state of activity anyway. What are you dosing.

tank has been set up for almost 2 years. some recent additions but they've all been in at least 2 weeks. i dose calcium and ph/alk buffer.

With sps especially I'd max at 3 days, 4 starts getting iffy.... it can be done and you may get lucky but I would't suggest it personally.

do you suppose 3 days will kill off bryopsis? the GHA and diatoms will definitely go.

Not to sure bryopsis is easiest killed by using Kent Tech M to raise mag above 1500 from my understanding.... there should be like 500 threads about how to do it properly as I've never had to personally do it. Lights out might work but if it was that easy I don't think people would do the tech m as it takes longer then 3 days lol

skimlessinseattle

I have found the best solution is to out-compete the nuisance algae. If you have the ability to run a macro fuge, that is the best long term solution. Once I did that, my issues were finally solved. Blackouts are too risky to your investment IMO. Aggressive macros with regular pruning works.

I have found the best solution is to out-compete the nuisance algae. If you have the ability to run a macro fuge, that is the best long term solution. Once I did that, my issues were finally solved. Blackouts are too risky to your investment IMO. Aggressive macros with regular pruning works.

I have three red mangroves that are growing nicely, i don't have room for a fuge and can't drill the tank to add one.

Not to sure bryopsis is easiest killed by using Kent Tech M to raise mag above 1500 from my understanding.... there should be like 500 threads about how to do it properly as I've never had to personally do it. Lights out might work but if it was that easy I don't think people would do the tech m as it takes longer then 3 days lol

tried tech-m for several months at 1800 ppm to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...

Three days won't kill the algae alone unfortunately.

My tuxedo urchin ate bryopsis and I believe Kat had some luck with hers eating it as well. Not sure if a pincushin has a different idea or if we got lucky.

Some googling shows another person suggesting specifically Tuxedo's for bryopsis saying theirs ate it.

:huh: Your experience may vary!

Archived