ReefCleaners.org

Upgraded lights, adjusting intensity ?

Dell

Hello,

I have a Nuvo 20g, w/ ~15lbs LR. Mostly zoas, some ricordia, 1or 2 SPS, blastos, a hammer and pom pom Xenia. Recently I upgraded the light from 2 96w Current Orbit Marine LED's to a Radion XR 15 Pro. I have read various opinions on setting the intensity. What do you guys think? At what % should I start out and when should I up the intensity?

Thx

Right now I have it at 50% and was planning on raising it10% every week till I get to 100%. Does that sound like a good plan? I had it at 100% but some of the corals closed up, when I lowered to 50% they opened back up. So that's why I settled on 50%

Intensity is greatly affected by distance.

Its called the Inverse Square Rule (Law).

If a light is 100 'bright' at 12 inches, at 24 inches its now 25 'bright'.

If a light is 100 'bright' at 24 inches, at 12 inches it is now 400 'bright'.

'Bright' being any unit of measurement of intensity.

https://www.google.com/search?redir_esc=&client=tablet-android-att-us&hl=en-US&safe=images&oe=utf-8&q=inverse%20square%20law&source=android-browser-suggest&qsubts=1411406597227

Without distance information, any suggestions are really shooting in the dark. Except the one that states, "watch what your animals are doing, they will tell you if its too bright or too dark".

The IM tanks are all mostly on the shallow side, if your 15 is way above the tank, I can see 100% being needed. At a normal average height, I highly doubt you need it 100% on all channels.

Archived