Cultivated Reef

brownish orange hairy algae

MadReefer13

its like 6 mounths old but like 4 in the 20 was a ten gallon. and has no skimmer or filter.should i get one and what?

UV, brush it.

Water change with clean salt water. Get a bigger, better skimmer. Baste rocks every day, twice a day.

It will go away, takes time.

Doesnt even look like you have coralline growing, thats a new tank.

Cut carbo hydrate feeding, try more protein foods instead.

Get some Macros.

Even the SCA POS Crap Chinese skimmers are better than no skimmer. Skimmers remove poop from your water with no human intervention. No other type of filter really does that. Bubble Magus and Sea Something make inexpensive nano Skimmers, higher quality than the SCA crap.

UV, I really like the Turbo Twist 9w. I hook a TLF 150 inline after the UV to slow water throughput, powered by $15 MJ400. ROX carbon and GFO in the TLF. Nice Nano 3 way punch for like $150.

Ben pointed out in a thread Jebao make a 55watt for like $40.

You need some type of physical filtration to catch poop before it hits your skimmer.

Macros, caulerpa prolifera, get a bunch if that and put it in the display. I have a fast growing caulerpa in my fuge now, grows faster than microalgae. I dont know species, but its awesome. Chaeto dies in all my tanks.

Even the SCA POS Crap Chinese skimmers are better than no skimmer. Skimmers remove poop from your water with no human intervention. No other type of filter really does that.

UV, I really like the Turbo Twist 9w. I hook a TLF 150 inline after the UV to slow water throughput, powered by $15 MJ400. ROX carbon and GFO in the TLF. Nice Nano 3 way punch for like $150.

Ben pointed out in a thread Jebao make a 55watt for like $40.

You need some type of physical filtration to catch poop before it hits your skimmer.

Macros, caulerpa prolifera, get a bunch if that and put it in the display. I have a fast growing caulerpa in my fuge now, grows faster than microalgae. I dont know species, but its awesome. Chaeto dies in all my tanks.

I have no fish as of now tho

I have no fish as of now tho

Poop is my catchall for all organic metabolic waste, from living organisms.

Easy to grasp, easier to write. Everything alive poops, and most things poop when they die.

Crap algae is my catchall for all algaes, diatoms, cyanobacteria, etc that you dont want growing in your tank. Some species require special methods, everything I wrote will help in your fight against all crap algae.

If you have crap algae, you have poop in your system.

ok was just making sue so a skimmer should be one next things i look at getting

Poop is my catchall for all organic metabolic waste, from living organisms.

Easy to grasp, easier to write. Everything alive poops, and most things poop when they die.

ok was just making sue so a skimmer should be one next things i look at getting

90% of this hobby is removing poop from the system.

You are doing septic sewer work, for free, and/or paying for the priveledge, for animals that cant bark, meow, or even walk.

Archived