ReefCleaners.org

brownish orange hairy algae

MadReefer13

So I have a 20 long it was up doing fine but only had rock from my old ten gallon.So I got some dry/dead rock from a buddy and it was fine for about three weeks maybe little longer.Then I start getting this nasty algae on all my rock.Could it just be diatoms and it'll just go away or need a take action?I scrubbed the rocks with toothbrush and did wc last night.Just want it all gone gonna take pics then upload soon if needed? the 20 long is about 4 months old,and the 10 was about three.So tanks about 7 to 8 months old.

ill do test now four days ago it was like nothing pretty much 0 and it just started like a week ago

What's your nitrates and how long have you had it?

Is it slimy?
forgot this and its a big thing I had one fairy wrasse for a bit then I added a flasher wrasse about a week ago with a fang blenmy well both the wrasses died one one day the other the next.flasher only lasted 2 days. I got them out right away so don't think the rotted but needed to add the deaths :(

I have one emerald BuT gonimg right now and adding more cuc what should I add

Should I add another emerald to my 20

So, prob what I just suffered from three weeks ago. I added an emerald crab and blue life's fx pro and within 4 days it was gone.

dang noone knows what this is or had it and can help ..i know someone knows and can help on here. its amazing how some people get answers fast over stupid ?s...but alot of people with a real ? or problem cant get help AT ALL

Someone answered you already. Looks like diatoms. Do a few extra water changes and suck it out. Every time I have used dry rock it has produced the same thing. Might take a couple of months to completely get rid of it.

thank you. the guy kinda answered but also said he dident know in the last post,

so no way to trust what had said if said he dont really know...thank you as you have used dry rock and had exp in it exactly what i was looking for

Someone answered you already. Looks like diatoms. Do a few extra water changes and suck it out. Every time I have used dry rock it has produced the same thing. Might take a couple of months to completely get rid of it.

dang noone knows what this is or had it and can help ..i know someone knows and can help on here. its amazing how some people get answers fast over stupid ?s...but alot of people with a real ? or problem cant get help AT ALL

Have you reviewed the Nuisance Algae Guide ? There is a lot of information here on how to ID and combat. Also, if you have a food source causing algae outbreak your parameters may not be a true reading because the algae is soaking up the food source.

i was looking at that guide and few other online,and so hard to tell some apart..so came here to see if anyone could forsure id it...what could the food source be that your talking about? sry if a easy question just wana get things right insted of just guessing myself and being all the way wronge.

Have you reviewed the Nuisance Algae Guide ? There is a lot of information here on how to ID and combat. Also, if you have a food source causing algae outbreak your parameters may not be a true reading because the algae is soaking up the food source.

i was looking at that guide and few other online,and so hard to tell some apart..so came here to see if anyone could forsure id it...what could the food source be that your talking about? sry if a easy question just wana get things right insted of just guessing myself and being all the way wronge.

Understandable...we all want the definitive answer :) John's guide is always my first source when trying to deal with an algae...maybe watch to see what critters in your CUC are eating it? Might help you identify what it is. It does just look like Diatoms to me though, they are always present in your tank but are generally only seen in large quantities at the end of a cycle or if you've introduced a new plastic. item into your water that's releasing silicates.

Just keep an eye on parameters and it'll probably go away.

Understandable...we all want the definitive answer :) John's guide is always my first source when trying to deal with an algae...maybe watch to see what critters in your CUC are eating it? Might help you identify what it is. It does just look like Diatoms to me though, they are always present in your tank but are generally only seen in large quantities at the end of a cycle or if you've introduced a new plastic. item into your water that's releasing silicates.

Just keep an eye on parameters and it'll probably go away.

That is also what made my two wrasse die huh ? Really kinda makes since now as I was lot how they had died the nitrate was never up and as u see in the pic above its slightly high. So few days before it was probley really high. I was at works so dident getting work on tank till yesterday and test so probley killed my fish with the mini cycle. That sucks I thought I was safe with good dry rock and wouldent get the cycle
  • 1 month later...

UV, brush it.

Water change with clean salt water. Get a bigger, better skimmer. Baste rocks every day, twice a day.

It will go away, takes time.

Doesnt even look like you have coralline growing, thats a new tank.

Cut carbo hydrate feeding, try more protein foods instead.

Get some Macros.

nothing?

Archived