Cultivated Reef

Biocube 29, refugium in chamber one?

squalldude

Ok so here is what is going on. just got a BC 29 got it up and running after the cycle 2 weeks now. I have added a lot of things and modded my tank a bit. My question is how would you make a good refugium in chamber one? I guess I could do it in chamber three as well but one has more space. Here is a list of all the things I have in my tank.

Livestock

25 lbs live rock

live sand

1 conk

1 Blue striped Halloween crab

10 Red leged hermit crabs

1 turbo snail

5 other snails (forgot name)

2 nassarius snails

1 pajama cardinal

1 firefish

Equipment

Upgraded stock pump to MJ 1200 chamber 3

Intank media basket chamber 2

Tunze 9001 protein skimmer chamber 2

Free heater from previous owner chamber 1

Steve's LED retrofit kit, 12,000K Super Full Spectrum

I plan on adding lots of coral, 2 clownfish and maybe a flame angel.

Now I know I don't need a refugium but I'm trying to make this the perfect set up, so later on when I upgrade to a bigger tank this is where I can grow coral, and keep hatchlings.

I'm also open to having the refugium be in the stand underneath, kind of like a sump but my original plan was to have everything else up above that's why I got the inTank media basket. This idea does interest me a lot though because it would add more water to the whole system so it can be managed easier.

What would you do in my situation? All inputs would be great!!

Small refugiums do not add much benefit. I would just sump it or add display macro to the display. Or put a reactor in there if possible if you need PO4 control.

It is better than nothing but certainly not the best use of space is all.

Small refugiums do not add much benefit. I would just sump it or add display macro to the display. Or put a reactor in there if possible if you need PO4 control.

It is better than nothing but certainly not the best use of space is all.

what would you recommend I use the space for?

I have:

Chamber 1: Thermometer probe, heater

Chamber 2: Skimmer (and soon, media basket)

Chamber 3: Pump

Some people have skimmer in 1, media basket and fuge basket in 2. But since you already have a skimmer that won't fit into 1, that doesn't work for you.

Maybe there's other ideas in the Biocube Resource Guide? http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/180788-the-biocube-resource-guide/

I would really like some feed back on this!!

I know it doesn't take much room, but if you're looking for a piece of hardware to invest in that will still be of use when you upgrade to a larger tank, I'd personally go with an ATO. I have the Tunze automatic top off and I love it, but it wasn't cheap. You will need space under your tank (or to the side) for your RO/DI reservoir as well as space in the rear of your biocube for the magnet mounted pump and regulator.

Archived