inTank Media Baskets

Calculating leds ?

Fiesta90150

Good morning everyone.

So here it is. I have one meanwell switching power supply.

It is a 24v 6 to 6.5A

I figured out, I think lol, that I can put up to 24vX6.5A= 156watts. Is that correct?

Then I needed to know how many leds I can use on one string. I am going for these http://www.rapidled.com/philips-luxeon-rebel-es-660nm-deep-red-led/

Its not written how many watts they are. And also someone told me that they arent 2.4v but 1.8v.

Thar same persone told me that at 6.5A all the leds would burn.

Can some one help me out? I just wanted to know how many of these leds I could put on one powersupply. It can also be in multiple strings. Thanks for the help. http://www.rapidled.com/philips-luxeon-rebel-es-660nm-deep-red-led/

I'm lost now.

You want to put LED drivers between your power supply and the LEDs.

Those will determine wattage.

The voltage of the LEDs determine how many you can have per string/LED driver. 24v ÷ 2.2v = 10.9, round down to 10 LEDs per string, then the LDD takes ~3v, so try 9 LEDs. Many Meanwells one can change the voltage a little bit with a built in potentiometer, so its not an exact thing.

The LEDs in fact do tell you their wattage. 2.2v x 0.7A = 1.54 watts at full power on a 700mA LDD driver for example, with the reds you linked to.

If all you are running are thise reds at 700,,,, 6000 ÷ 700 = 8.57, round down to 8. 8 LDD strings are possible.

So 72 possible red LEDs total. That's a lot of red, probably would be good growing a closet full of cannabis.

The driver I showed you would be perfect for what you want to do with these LEDs. It's a 700mA driver and the LEDs max current is 700mA so that's fine. Also the driver I showed you does between 9-48v so for those LEDs at 700mA (since the driver is a non dimmable 700mA driver) you need atleast 4 and no more than 20.

The driver I showed you would be perfect for what you want to do with these LEDs. It's a 700mA driver and the LEDs max current is 700mA so that's fine. Also the driver I showed you does between 9-48v so for those LEDs at 700mA (since the driver is a non dimmable 700mA driver) you need atleast 4 and no more than 20.

He has a 24v power supply, he can't run 20 LEDs. Not enough juice.

I should have posted the driver I showed him. It's meanwell LPC-35-700. Figured it would just be easier for him since he just wants to run these at 100% for an ATS to just wire them up to a non dimmable driver, instead of using his power supply, then a driver like an LDD. Just seems more practical to wire them right to that driver.

I should have posted the driver I showed him. It's meanwell LPC-35-700. Figured it would just be easier for him since he just wants to run these at 100% for an ATS to just wire them up to a non dimmable driver, instead of using his power supply, then a driver like an LDD. Just seems more practical to wire them right to that driver.

^Agree

Fiesta, you should do that. Save the 6amp power supply for something else later on.

Archived