Cultivated Reef

What makes this hobby so addictive?

atrox

OMG definitely...... Only the finest Colombian uncut for my reef! :haha: It also reminds me of the time when I was dropping a bag of salt off to a friend that lived in a semi-shady area with a nosy neighbor, he had me write on the bag with a sharpie "NOT COCAINE" and leave it by his door until he got home from work LOL

That's exactly what I would write on the bag if I were trafficking.. :) So they sell 200g boxes of salt separated into 50g bags.. if one of those in the middle happened to be replaced with.. ah well nevermind..

I'm an engineer so I naturally have/had a lot of "nerdy" hobbies. Electronics, RC aircraft, computers, graphic design, you name it... so when I discovered reefing it was a good relief to find a hobby that seemingly didn't take much "technological" knowhow and I had a chance to learn more about the biology of the ocean, animals, work on my artsy skills, etc.

Then I found out people are using DIY automated systems, custom building aquariums in their shops, attaching microcontrollers to automate just about everything, and setting up crazy pneumatic systems.

Since then it has become a win-win situation for me! :)

being an introvert it's my time away from people. Don't get me wrong I interact with my kids and wife everyday on soccer and all other activities but when I watch or clean my tanks that's my time and it feel peaceful. It's calming in our very hectic life and I love it .

I think for me it is a mix of being able to create something that is hopefully aesthetically pleasing, interesting to watch and stare at, and requires a little bit of brain power to understand and do well. It's challenging.

1. I am in total control of success/failure.

2. Nurturing. I love to see something grow and thrive because I take care of it.(another reason I love being a dad)

3. Challenging. If it was easy, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

4. Scaping. I can create a reef exactly as I picture it in my head.(haven't done the best job so far, but there always will be another tank)

5. Innovation. I love tinkering/DIY. If there is a better way, I want to find it.

It's a great hobby but a difficult one. I love the challenge and even the heartbreak (minor tank crash this week). I was disappointed in the crash, but got me even more motivated.

Love having a small piece of the ocean in my place....the colors, shapes, life!

My friends aren't at all interested in reefing, but I've been talking their ears off about it! lol

My parents are from the Caribean so my reef reminds me a little of their home. It's also a great couples hobby. I've convinced my boyfriend to do all of the DIY and heavy lifting!

Like Dodger, I dont think I would be interested in reefing if it were easy.

Theres a movie called The Secretary. In it, the lead character is shown to be meticulous and fastidious by growing a small patch of grass indoors.

Growing beautiful animals, which are very difficult to keep alive, is an important aspect of the hobby.

SPS are probably the most difficult animals to be kept, and to grow. I usually have difficulty keeping the so called easy corals alive, acros are, for me, easier than GSP or zoas. I did keep my feather star crinoid for about 6 months before it finally perished, if I get one again I will be better equiped for its survival. That is fastidious animal to keep alive.

Also the DIY aspect of the hobby is important for me. Allows for a craft or even art to be done. I could far easier buy much of the things I make myself. But there's not much enjoyment in that. Woodworking, acrylic working, metal working, plumbing, electronics are important aspects of the hobby for me.

I love the diversity of SW. All the different fish with their diverse characteristics, then there are the inverts and their funky quirks. Corals also contribute all the colors, some wave long tentacles in the flow while others pulsesate. Finally there are the extreme exotic creatures like seahorses, pipefish and such. Finally the lure of cultivating and nurturing such creatures is just more than some of us can resist.

Archived