Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Build 8 G Aqueon Evolve Update 9/29/14

Drexellake

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say coral shrimp do you mean a coral banded boxer shrimp?

They're reef safe but he'll outgrow that cube quick.

Cool hitchhiker though.

That's the one. I looked it up the other night and one site said not good for reef tanks. Then again the Internet is full of conflicting info. Either way he's fine for now.

Banded-Coral-Shrimp-2.jpg

Any idea what this is? Looks like a centipede of some sort to me. He was out when I turned the room light on this morning. Bristle worm? If so I read they are great cleaners.

IMG_20140924_063627679.jpg

it's a bristle worm! i thought they

were freaky looking, but i was a noob.

and i continue to be even more freaked out

by some of the creatures i see in tanks. ha!

(ie. bobbit worm)

supposedly it's a good hitchhiker to have, the

bristle worm.

What led is that that you're running? Looks like a wavepoint? Is it the super blue? Interested in getting one for a small frag tank.

Wavepoint 10K daylight 16 watt. It's much brighter than I thought it would be, and people seem to be using it will many different corals with no ill effects. Definitely not the best, but it will do at least for now.

it's a bristle worm! i thought they

were freaky looking, but i was a noob.

and i continue to be even more freaked out

by some of the creatures i see in tanks. ha!

(ie. bobbit worm)

supposedly it's a good hitchhiker to have, the

bristle worm.

OMG I definitely don't want a Bobbit worm in my tiny tank.

Day 6 and we have more life. Water tests good. I found several very small feather dusters, another smaller bristle worm, and something very small and bright white that almost looks like a shrimp.

I'm so pumped I already started planning my next tank. A 17 gallon rimless with Current USA Orbit LEDs. Not sure on filtration yet, but I would like to go with a 10 gallon sump so I have more options. Building the stand soon.

Day 10 and all seems to be well so far. Have a small amount of diatoms on the sand.

The hitchhiker Coral shrimp lost a claw but seems to be doing well. Water tests good.

Added a Hydor Nano circulating pump rated at 240GPH which seems to be just right for this small tank. It moves the water without disturbing the sand more than a couple grains here and there with a nice sine effect with the sand along the glass. I'll move it up towards the top next time I top off and it will probably be perfect.

Time to start deciding on what I need for a cleanup crew. At this rate I'm not expecting much if any ammonia spike.

I couldn't resist adding a pic of a crane in the back yard this morning.

IMG_20140929_184500025_HDR.jpgIMG_20140929_184445418_HDR.jpgIMG_20140929_184438360_HDR.jpgIMG_20140929_184429462.jpgIMG_20140927_191126825.jpg

I also got the Hydro Nano 240 but it's too much flow for the mushrooms I have in my tank so I removed it. I just use it now to blow the substrate before I do a water change.

As for the CUC, I only got a nassarius snail and a turbo snail right now. The turbo is very busy cleaning up everything but you have to watch out if it falls down on it's shell. They cannot upright themselves. These 2 are enough take care of my tank right now.

Added a Hydor Nano circulating pump rated at 240GPH which seems to be just right for this small tank. It moves the water without disturbing the sand more than a couple grains here and there with a nice sine effect with the sand along the glass. I'll move it up towards the top next time I top off and it will probably be perfect.

Time to start deciding on what I need for a cleanup crew. At this rate I'm not expecting much if any ammonia spike.

the ceriths are great. get smaller ones

if you can, as the normal sized can knock

things over. i don't recommend margarites.

they don't seem to do anything in my tank, really.

great fotos, and love the crane too.

I also got the Hydro Nano 240 but it's too much flow for the mushrooms I have in my tank so I removed it. I just use it now to blow the substrate before I do a water change.

As for the CUC, I only got a nassarius snail and a turbo snail right now. The turbo is very busy cleaning up everything but you have to watch out if it falls down on it's shell. They cannot upright themselves. These 2 are enough take care of my tank right now.

I moved mine up top and it doesn't stir things up nearly as much as where I had it. Only time will tell.

the ceriths are great. get smaller ones

if you can, as the normal sized can knock

things over. i don't recommend margarites.

they don't seem to do anything in my tank, really.

great fotos, and love the crane too.

Thanks Cindy. I plan to get the smaller ceriths. In fact I think that's all the CUC I'm adding to start off with.

you're welcome!

yeah, i'm not a fan of adding loads of

CUC tbh. LFS guy had recommended

about a snail for every gallon of water in tank.

and most crabs and shrimps are too aggressive

for my tank, given the sexy shrimps i have. but you already

have a great shrimp!

you're welcome!

yeah, i'm not a fan of adding loads of

CUC tbh. LFS guy had recommended

about a snail for every gallon of water in tank.

and most crabs and shrimps are too aggressive

for my tank, given the sexy shrimps i have. but you already

have a great shrimp!

And Bristle worms. LOL

Found two small green star today. Did my first water change and was kind of thinking things were taking a turn for the worse when I found a dead bristle worm. I also saw another larger bristle worm today. Water tests great. Ordered a cleaning crew that should be here tomorrow. Just some small cerith snails.

I added a cleanup crew of four different types of snails, now the tank looks infested. Guess I'll let them clean up and pull some out for my other tank when I get it up and running. They really did a good job in a short time.

31 days old. Just added some Frogspawn and a Goby 2 days ago. My first coral ever. The Goby doesn't come out much but seems to be doing well. Cleaned out some of the snails.

IMG_20141021_191419560_HDR.jpgIMG_20141021_191405458.jpgIMG_20141021_191351229.jpg

congrats on your first fish and the frogspawn!

they look great! did you glue them on??

No, I bought the whole thing dead coral and all.

Archived