inTank Media Baskets

New Build 8 G Aqueon Evolve Update 9/29/14

Drexellake

I know it won't support more than a couple fish, but I would like to know about other non coral life such as crabs, shrimp, snails, etc. I've modified the filter so it holds about 6 times more media than stock.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shrimp goby with a pistol shrimp are very entertaining to watch and perfect for nanos. We have a high fin goby with candy striped pistol shrimp in our Spec V and they are so fun to watch. Sexy shrimp are entertaining also.

Shrimp goby with a pistol shrimp are very entertaining to watch and perfect for nanos. We have a high fin goby with candy striped pistol shrimp in our Spec V and they are so fun to watch. Sexy shrimp are entertaining also.

Would a Clown be OK with these? I love Clown fish.

Would a Clown be OK with these? I love Clown fish.

I have a pair of snow onyx clowns that I bought about a year ago and they grow extremely slow. Just get a tiny one. I see them more and more at the fish stores about 1/2" long. You could keep one of them in there for a while but it would eventually outgrow the tank. I bet by then you will have added to your tank collection though. :) That's one of my favorite excuses.. "Honey I need to get another tank. Nemo has outgrown his home." lol

Clown gobies are pretty awesome little fish too. Lots of personality in a nano tank and stay small. The one we have is a little beggar and demands food anytime you walk by the tank.

I have a pair of snow onyx clowns that I bought about a year ago and they grow extremely slow. Just get a tiny one. I see them more and more at the fish stores about 1/2" long. You could keep one of them in there for a while but it would eventually outgrow the tank. I bet by then you will have added to your tank collection though. :) That's one of my favorite excuses.. "Honey I need to get another tank. Nemo has outgrown his home." lol

Exactly. I already have a 30g acrylic in the shed with a wet dry and lighting picked out. So the more excuses to set it up the better. We don't have much of a saltwater collection around here. I should be up and running this weekend, so I still have a while to learn and decide what's next.

I have one of these tanks.

Fish currently residing in it are:

1 Tangaroa Goby with Tiger Pistol Shrimp combo, 1 Sharknose Goby, 1 Creamsicle Lyretail Molly

I have one of these tanks.

Fish currently residing in it are:

1 Tangaroa Goby with Tiger Pistol Shrimp combo, 1 Sharknose Goby, 1 Creamsicle Lyretail Molly

Nice looking fish on Google. I really like the Sharknose Goby. You say combo, so they complement each other?

The Tangaroa Goby keeps an eye on things outside the caves the Pistol Shrimp digs. So far about half of my sandbed is a tunnel network the shrimp has dug out.

sexy shrimps are perfect for your size tank!

pom pom crabs are also popular, but i got

mine maybe too early before tank was stable

enough and he died. i was very sad.

i've got all my coral now--no more space unless

i evict my bleached ones, ha! i'll be picking out

fish in early october. i'm considering blennies,

stubby clowns (basically dwarf clowns) or

gobies.

I have a yellow clown goby in my 10 gallon. He's a really cool fish. I've read they can be hard to get started eating at first. Luckily, mine was already eating frozen foods. There's a chance the could eat polyps from acros etc.

There's just not a lot if swimming room in that tank. I had one and felt kind of bad for the fire fish I had in there. I'd say go for a small goby of some kind.

+1 to sexy shrimp

+1 to pom pom crab

- I see my sexy shrimp out and about all the time and their little dance is so cute. Plus they're tiny so you can get away w/ a few of them :)

I've had a pom pom for over a year now. It started out in the evolve 8. Pom poms are really awesome little crabs that definitely entertain. I would highly recomend one.

I have the tank setup with water filled to about 5" from the top. Letting it settle and circulate with a small pump until it clears a little. Going to pick up some live rock tomorrow. Then it's wait and test while it cycles. IMG_20140919_211125571.jpg

Live rock has been added. Looks like three nice pieces. Small, medium, and large....at least as far as this tank is concerned. I found a red and white shrimp that came out of one of the rocks and it turns out is not good for reef tanks. A coral shrimp. It will be fine for now. I still have a ways to go before I plan to add anything else.

Pics to follow later tonight or tomorrow. Number one Son just showed up from Texas a week early. He travels the country wiring up windmills. Renewable energy. :D

The water is still clearing but it's doing great being that it's only one day old. I added floss temporarily as a pre-filter to the stock filtration that I modified with Eheim Subtrat Pro and tossed in a small bag of Purigen. Also running a Hydor rotating head on a 160 GPH pump for a day or two to make sure everything is mixed and settled, then the head will go on my main pump which is also 160 GPH. The lighting arrived missing some parts so it won't be where it needs to be for a few days unless I can find something at Home Depot tomorrow to rig it out over the tank more. 10K daylight 16 watt LED.

IMG_20140920_193315591_HDR.jpg

Monster in hiding.IMG_20140920_193237315.jpg

Lighting.

IMG_20140920_193255257_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140920_193222555_HDR.jpg

I hope I don't lose anybody by changing the title from stocking to Build since that's the direction it's headed. My "accidental" build thread. All credit to CindyP. :lol:

Did you mod this tank? I just did

Yes. I drilled holes in the bottom of the media chamber and blocked the overflow so there are no dead spots, and upgraded the pump from 90 to 160gph. The shrimp is still alive this morning. :)

Archived