Pod Your Reef

Filtration

Jonathan 40

I have a Nanocube 24 and was wondering the best way to setup the chambers for filtration. I am currently using the filtration it came with. I've have been reading a lot of forums and hearing a lot of different advice. It's a little confusing.

You could start with some sort of mechanical filtration like filter floss or a protein skimmer, if it fits in your chambers. Many people also like to follow up with some sort of chemical filtration like GAC/GFO, Chemipure (elite), purigen, etc. Some people also grow macro algae and prune it in order to trap excess nutrients. And finally, some people run very little filtration at all and solely rely on frequent water changes. I hope this helps!

I run a nano skimmer, live rock rubble, and biweekly 20% water changes in both my 21 month old 29 gallon biocube and 10 month old Spec V. The 65 mixed reef is a totally different story though. lol Lots of ways to skin a cat.... Find one that compliments how much time and money you care to spend on maintenance coupled with the type of livestock you plan to keep.

What are your stocking plans? ie. coral, fish, and or inverts

Thanks for the help, A lot of people have asked but I haven't see a definite answer, is there a protein skimmer that works in a Nanocube 24 with the canopy?

Sorry I didn't see the stocking question. I was planning on a pair of clownfish, a watchman goby and pistol shrimp then adding coral slowly. I have had the tank running for three weeks and have 2 margarita snails, 2 bumblebee snails and 2 blue leg hermits.

Archived