Cultivated Reef

what fish to add next?

jamescon85

hi guys,

I have had my nano tank up and running for around 6 weeks now, started off with a yellow tailed damsel which i had to take back due to it been aggressive. I currently have a green chromis, and 2 very small black clownfish, i have 2 red hermit crabs and 2 sand sifting snails. Looking at adding something peaceful and colourful and fairly hardy. I like the looks of royal gramma, although the guy at the shop i go tells me they can be aggressive? any suggestions welcome! tank is 70 litres

hi guys,

I have had my nano tank up and running for around 6 weeks now, started off with a yellow tailed damsel which i had to take back due to it been aggressive. I currently have a green chromis, and 2 very small black clownfish, i have 2 red hermit crabs and 2 sand sifting snails. Looking at adding something peaceful and colourful and fairly hardy. I like the looks of royal gramma, although the guy at the shop i go tells me they can be aggressive? any suggestions welcome! tank is 70 litres

I'd leave it as is until you know for sure that the tank can handle the bioload. It's only six weeks old and 20 gallons, and clowns get fairly large and eat quite a bit.

yep the chromis really happy and lively. Plays all day with my clowns. I was going to add another one but because of how well he is doing with the clowns and im not going to bother

I agree with Maria. The chromis will also get surprisingly large. These are all fish that like their territories and are bold/aggressive. I would keep the three you have and enjoy how well they get along. Plus you don't want a tank that looks overcrowded.

You have just 1 chromi? I thought it was best to get those in groups of 3+? Does he do ok by himself?

Actually chromis do best by themselves. They tend to pick on each other until only 1 is left.

Let's hang out in a school but lets also beat each other up. :blink:

Actually chromis do best by themselves. They tend to pick on each other until only 1 is left.

Let's hang out in a school but lets also beat each other up. :blink:

This is exactly what happened to my chromis :( got 5 then you end up with 1, on the bright side he was the biggest and strongest :P

Interesting. I am glad I came upon this thread. I was thinking of getting either a Blue Sapphire Damselfish or a Yellowtail Damselfish. I really want a blue tinted fish. Any other suggestions?

Interesting. I am glad I came upon this thread. I was thinking of getting either a Blue Sapphire Damselfish or a Yellowtail Damselfish. I really want a blue tinted fish. Any other suggestions?

Blue Sapphires are pretty peaceful as long as you only have one.

Archived