ReefCleaners.org

Brown surface film in SW mixing container? Reef Crystals...

MlDukes

I've used reef crystals for years now. This year especially I've noticed some nasty surface film building up in my mixing tank. My RO holding tank is prestine, so it is something in the salt. The best I can find is that maybe the brown gunk is clay? Used for anti clumping. How does this effect my tank? It can't be good. My mixing pumps and tank get gunked up and nasty from whatever it is. Seriously considering switching salt.

Any input is appreciated. Have you seen this same issue? Has reef crystals changed their recipe? Will switching salts alleviate this?

In addition to the anti-caking agents, Reef Crystals incorporates organics into the mix (they don't do that for IO) which will support bacterial populations. While your RODI bucket may contain traces of nitrates and phosphates, there is no carbon source so there won't be any bacteria, while the ASW bucket with Reef Crystals has all three and can sustain life.

This was one of the reasons I stopped using it and switched back to IO, in addition to the massive amounts of precipitation on the bucket itself as well as my mixing pump and heater.

Thanks great article... Still reading. Lol

In addition to the anti-caking agents, Reef Crystals incorporates organics into the mix (they don't do that for IO) which will support bacterial populations. While your RODI bucket may contain traces of nitrates and phosphates, there is no carbon source so there won't be any bacteria, while the ASW bucket with Reef Crystals has all three and can sustain life.

This was one of the reasons I stopped using it and switched back to IO, in addition to the massive amounts of precipitation on the bucket itself as well as my mixing pump and heater.

That makes sense I don't notice the film until the water sits for 2-3 days + (there is always a circulation pump running) but the longer it sits the worse it gets.

I've found that I get less precipitation if I use only an airstone to mix the saltwater as opposed to an airstone and a powerhead. The water always ends up much clearer in my experience.

I've found that I get less precipitation if I use only an airstone to mix the saltwater as opposed to an airstone and a powerhead. The water always ends up much clearer in my experience.

Hmmm I wonder why that is?

its normal. my saltwater if left mixing in my brute for a few days will get a surface scum on it . its done it for years. I think there was a big thread about it on rc a few years ago.

its normal. my saltwater if left mixing in my brute for a few days will get a surface scum on it . its done it for years. I think there was a big thread about it on rc a few years ago.
To good to stop by my thread to shoot the breeze ;)?

no not too good.lol didn't know if you guys would remember me.lol haven't been on in a while but the bug is starting to bite again. ill swing in and say hello.

Archived