inTank Media Baskets

So I did a noob thing...

Genie382

Okay okay, I know that I should know better guys, but, I couldn't help it!

So I was at my LFS yesterday picking up some RODI water and spotted a TailSpot blenny in one of their tanks. I inquired if it was eating and the manager of the store, responded that the would throw some food in the tank if I wanted to. I said yes, absolutely. Well...he put some demysis in there and all of the other fish went crazy, but this little guy (while interested) seemed really reluctant to leave his perch. I will point out however, that he was housed w/ a huge black clown, a large blue damsel and some other large fish. He did at one point dart out and grab a small piece of shrimp.

The manager informed me that he was a trade in and the prior owner had had him for a few months. I don't think he's the kinda guy to lie about something like that.

I know that I shouldn't take em home till I'm sure their eating, but I just didn't think he was gonna thrive in a 5 gallon tank w/ those other huge fish, so I nabbed him. I dropped some Decap'd brine shrimp eggs in the tank a few hours later and he seemed to gobble them up! So here's hoping.

In other news, my Citron goby is still being picky about eating, but is definitely perching on the base rock more often...and I've caught him nipping at all of my soft corals...should I be concerned (he constantly will float up to my duncans, which have stayed shut in the last 24 hrs).

Also, anyone have experience hatching decap'd brine eggs? I tried a hatchery last night, but nothing hatched this am. ::sigh::

I bought my Tailspot (RIP) before I saw him eat. I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're grazers. He'll eat algae, micro fauna, and anything else he can find. Good luck!

Thanks, I think he's got a great little personality. I hope he makes it.

They have the best personality... My favorite fish by far. Smart as a whip. You're gonna fall in love!

I'm telling you, you have nothing to worry about. He'll be much happier with you, I promise.

Mr. Microscope

lol, love the title of this thread.

Sounds like it'll be okay. Just keep persisting with your feeding attempts. Though they'll be temped and will eat meatier stuff, I think they're mostly herbivores. You might want to try something like nori or Hikari Seaweed Extreme.

I bought some omnivore mix at the petshop (that I haven't tried yet), but I'll keep an eye out for nori (or can you just use the unseasoned sheets for sushi?).

I have had lucky feeding both of those guys on just flakes. In fact we have a yellow clown goby that only eats flakes. He wants nothing to do with Mysis or anything frozen for that matter. You may give that a shot if you haven't already.

I have had lucky feeding both of those guys on just flakes. In fact we have a yellow clown goby that only eats flakes. He wants nothing to do with Mysis or anything frozen for that matter. You may give that a shot if you haven't already.

Any brand in particular? (My fridge is slowly but surely starting to hold more fish food than human food...thankfully my significant other has yet to notice but...waiting for the extreme side eye that's gonna be thrown my way...T_T)

thanks for the post.

i'm considering blennies or gobies

for my 8g nanao. just two fishies. also

perhaps a stubby clown, also on list.

Love Blennies, have read nothing but good things about them (esp the tailspot) so I had to have one. So far, he seems to be adapting to the tank much better than my Citron. He's always out and about and watching things from his perch in the tank. I've caught him pecking at some of the dry rock too (maybe snacking on some copepods?).

Any brand in particular? (My fridge is slowly but surely starting to hold more fish food than human food...thankfully my significant other has yet to notice but...waiting for the extreme side eye that's gonna be thrown my way...T_T)

We feed New Life Spectrum Optimum Flakes when feeding flakes.

happens to the best of us. got a purple tang shipped in from NYaquatics. Supposedly was in a customer tank for 4 years and was in a system with copper for 2 weeks as a prophylactic. TRUST NO ONE!

https://flic.kr/p/oZEVe9'>15092482478_dc6759ecd7_z.jpg

so, now he's in my quarantine system getting the proper treatment.

happens to the best of us. got a purple tang shipped in from NYaquatics. Supposedly was in a customer tank for 4 years and was in a system with copper for 2 weeks as a prophylactic. TRUST NO ONE!

15092482478_dc6759ecd7_z.jpg

so, now he's in my quarantine system getting the proper treatment.

O_O! Poor guy! Hope he bounces back soon.

NirvanaandTool

Tailspots are awesome fish. Perfect nano blenny. Tons of personality too.

Ouch on the purple tang. Was he in the DT when the ich came about?

Tailspots are awesome fish. Perfect nano blenny. Tons of personality too.

Ouch on the purple tang. Was he in the DT when the ich came about?

Yeah.. i let the seller have it. like for realzzz.. they're not cheap. I put all my fish through min 4 week quarantine. Currently doing hypo treatment and all the crypto has fallen off. It'll have a hard time reproducing at 1.009. Fish is plump and eating so it should make it through.

no jeopardizing this:

https://flic.kr/p/oWtZZk'>15056402777_3751096158_z.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/oWtZZk'>IMG_0693 by https://www.flickr.com/people/109332561@N02/'>Mik3TR, on Flickr

NirvanaandTool

Ah good. Ya I'm with you - all my fish go through about a 6 week quarantine. I've had ich once in a DT and won't again. I do a minimum 4 week hypo treatment even if I don't see a spot.

The fish should get some relief in hypo as the ich will fall off (and out of its gills) plus there's more oxygen at the lower salinities.

Ah good. Ya I'm with you - all my fish go through about a 6 week quarantine. I've had ich once in a DT and won't again. I do a minimum 4 week hypo treatment even if I don't see a spot.

The fish should get some relief in hypo as the ich will fall off (and out of its gills) plus there's more oxygen at the lower salinities.

I always run to API general cure (prazi/metronidazole) right off the bat for flukes, internal parasites, and bacterial infections.. and only treat for ich if I see signs of it in quarantine, or even think I see signs of it.

happens to the best of us. got a purple tang shipped in from NYaquatics. Supposedly was in a customer tank for 4 years and was in a system with copper for 2 weeks as a prophylactic. TRUST NO ONE! https://flic.kr/p/oZEVe9'>15092482478_dc6759ecd7_z.jpgso, now he's in my quarantine system getting the proper treatment.

That guy once sent me a Regal Angel that was missing an eye ball. When I called him he assured me the fish was perfect when shipped. I told him" well it wasn't in the bag!". This was many many years ago. Think his name was Michael.

Not talking trash here. I've been in the business and know how crazy ness can occur no matter how good your intentions are. I think it's a funny story actually.

Yep.. same guy. I'm not afraid to call him a straight up liar. I can hardly approach the tank without the tang curling up in the corner. You'd think he'd be a little more used to people by now.. and not afraid of an algae clip.

NirvanaandTool

I always run to API general cure (prazi/metronidazole) right off the bat for flukes, internal parasites, and bacterial infections.. and only treat for ich if I see signs of it in quarantine, or even think I see signs of it.

I go with Prazipro for flukes & IPs but have heard good things about general cure. Might switch to it or add a metro-based medicine to my QT period. I'm of the school of thought that ich can always be present lying dormant on the gills if the fish was not treated for it previously, I know all don't agree but this method has worked for me so far.

Quick update: my frozen cyclops arrived (couldn't find cyclop-eeze anywhere) and did a small feeding. My tailspot was alllll over it! My goby...not so much. I'm starting to get pretty worried. So far I've tried 6 different types of frozen foods, hikari pellet food and decap'd brine shrimp eggs. Not sure what I should do next if be doesn't start eating :(

Quick update: my frozen cyclops arrived (couldn't find cyclop-eeze anywhere) and did a small feeding. My tailspot was alllll over it! My goby...not so much. I'm starting to get pretty worried. So far I've tried 6 different types of frozen foods, hikari pellet food and decap'd brine shrimp eggs. Not sure what I should do next if be doesn't start eating :(

Can you get a hold of any live mysis or brine?

Archived