CAD Lights 4G Build

drewgrano

FTS 10/12/14

IMG_20141012_183503559_HDR.jpg

FTS 9/30/14

IMG_20140930_171514099_HDR.jpg

FTS 9/17/14

IMG_20140918_175127762_HDR.jpg

So I started my CAD Lights 4 Gallon build last night. I attempted a minor aquascape but the water was so cloudy it was pretty difficult. I have some more rock that I can mess with after work tonight. I actually don't think its terrible right now. Pretty simple, but sometimes simple can be a good thing. But before I get back at it, I was hoping for some suggestions? I have about 2 lbs of additional rock to play with.

P.S. - I'll clean the glass tonight. B)

Thanks for any suggestions!

post-85791-0-10442500-1410964873_thumb.png

post-85791-0-51822700-1410964874_thumb.png

post-85791-0-25763800-1410964875_thumb.png

Day 3:

I added a blue EcoPico LED strip to the stock lighting. Wish I would have bought two! Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all at 0 and I'm hoping it stays that way. I bought the live rock and sand from my LFS, so I'm hoping I have zero cycle, or a very short one. I can't wait to start stocking this thing.

Stock Lighting

IMG_20140918_175127762_HDR.jpg

Stock + EcoPico LED

IMG_20140918_174851585_HDR.jpg

EcoPico Only

IMG_20140918_175210696_HDR.jpg

I'm definitely going to have to invest in a camera...

looks good! i have to play with my fotos in

photoshop. it's just really hard taking them

with the LED lights on. the colors come out all

strange. looking forward to your build! i just

started a cadlights 8g myself. i think i'm stocked

up full on corals, now just need to get fishies in

october.

Well, I woke up super excited to buy my first coral today. Unfortunately my night didn't quite go as planned. I ended up picking out a beautiful torch from my LFS, along with a couple cerith snails. When I got it home I decided to cut the dead heads off using a dremel. Well I got about half way through the stem when the thing practically exploded. I don't know if I got the dremel a little crooked or what, but the poor little guy is mighty beat up. There's cracks kind of everywhere. I attempted to put him back together with super glue, but I have low expectations. I guess time will tell... :unsure:

IMG_20140924_201400157_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140924_201523584_HDR.jpg

12 hours later and the torch is inflated quite a bit more than I expected. However my super glue surgery definitely failed. Both sides have blown out further, and the right side has a couple of pieces hanging by soft tissue. :( Maybe the left head will make it at least?

IMG_20140925_070854150.jpg

12 hours later and the torch is inflated quite a bit more than I expected. However my super glue surgery definitely failed. Both sides have blown out further, and the right side has a couple of pieces hanging by soft tissue. :( Maybe the left head will make it at least?

IMG_20140925_070854150.jpg

good gracious, what happened!!!!

were you trying to shorten the end? poor coral.

hard lesson learned.

It was attached to a much bigger piece with 5 other dead heads on it. I was just trying to remove the 2 good heads! I think I inadvertently might have been twisting the dremel a little as I was cutting which caused the whole thing to bust apart. As careful as I thought I was being, I will definitely be even more careful next time!

I'm still deliberating over which tank to get, but I don't see the 4 gal size on the CADLights site--can they be bought elsewhere?

Called customer service and they have them, but had not added them to the site since the sale. They gave me the sale price so now I have a 4G on the way!

About how many actual gallons in the display area?

Thanks!

Hmm.. Not sure about gallons in the display area only. I can't even remember how many gallons it took to fill the whole thing up after adding the rock and sand. But I can tell you that you'll love the tank. It looks great in my living room. And when I inevitably upgrade to something a bit bigger, it'll look great in my office at work!

Yea, I just taped some filter floss to the end of a stick and that's working so far. If need be, I'll do the same with a small razor blade to gently scrape stuff off the wall.

Looking good, I see you've taken a liking to torch corals, they are one of my favourites. The damaged torch looks like it will be fine, no need to worry

• 2 weeks later...

FTS update! I'll get a better one tonight w/ some closeups when I don't have to deal with reflections. I actually think the zoas in the bottom left are doing the worst... only about half of them ever open up at a time. A lot of times most are closed.

IMG_20141012_134428361_HDR.jpg

I test every other day and no never above 5-10. I've never been able to detect any ammonia or nitrites. So far the only difficulties I've had is attempting to glue corals down. It never goes as planned, but part of the fun i guess!

Archived