Innovative Marine Aquariums

What power supply for 24 leds?

antonr

Hello,

I want to make a 24 led fixture:

- 10 Cree XP-G R5 5 W cool white

- 10 Cree XT-E Royal blue

- 4 SeniLeds Violet UV 410-420nm

I use 3x Mean Well LDD-700HW dimmable driver.

I got at home 2 power supply's:

- 36 V/DC 4.3 A,150W

- 36 V/DC 3 A, 100W

My question: will one of those power supply's suite the 24 led fixture?

Hope i gave you enough informatie.

Greetz,

Anton

A little more reading, and you would have come up with the answer to your question.

Anyway, what you need to do is figure out what the highest voltage string is. That sets the required voltage for the power supply. In your case, the string of 10 XT-Es will be the highest voltage string, with each LED having about a 3.1v drop, and the total string being 31v as a result. You then have to add 3v on top of that for the LDD, so the minimum voltage requirement would be 34v. 36v is obviously higher, and acceptable for use.

For current, just add the max current for all three drivers together, making 2.1A. You always want a bit of breathing room (I like a minimum of 20%) so the power supply is not running at its limit (reduced heat and extends life), so the minimum current you would require would be about 2.5A.

Both of those power supplies meet those requirements, so you can use either.

Does wattage come into play here? 24 of those LEDs at 700ma, what would that be, about 50 watts?

Since 50 falls well below those power supplies it should be good, but what if the wattage was closer like 60 on the power supply, would you be uncomfortable with that?

Uncomfortable? No. Why would I be?

Watts = Volts * Amps

His setup is drawing about 53W (not including the power draw of the LDDs, which is inconsequential), well below the wattage rating for either power supply.

As long as the requirement from the LED setup is under the voltage and current ratings for the power supply, you are fine.

Archived