Cultivated Reef

uh-oh.. coral ban? mis-communication?

GHill762

Honestly I'd really like to know the logic and logistics if these corals actually were to be banned.

If its ends up being illegal in all of the USA, does that pretty much mean that people will be required by law to take and KILL all their affected corals on a nation wide scale or face prison?

If so it sounds pretty messed up and quite frankly morally reprehensible.

Nope not how it works it just stops collection, and trade or sale of it. There is no law saying current captive care is prohibited and that you can't gift it to your friends

Lol cuz they are gonna break down every door and look for my coralz. we do have to protect the reef but there should be more detailed rules about aquaculture companies because making it illegal to own isn't logical considering we would then have to take it out of our tanks and discard it... That would just ruin the enviroment in worse ways

Lol one of the comments was how... if you don't ban the captive bred ones too then there will be incentive to smuggle wild fish in.

Who is going to smuggle a fish in their pant-leg that sells for maybe $15-$20 bucks and are so easily bred. :rolleyes:

Lol one of the comments was how... if you don't ban the captive bred ones too then there will be incentive to smuggle wild fish in.

Who is going to smuggle a fish in their pant-leg that sells for maybe $15-$20 bucks and are so easily bred. :rolleyes:

my thoughts on the licensing thing too, yes this is my 60 year old pair of a. percula...

meh this sounds like theyre expecting a scenario 2, same as what the coral got. but srsly who buys wild caught percula, i thought the only people keeping true percs now were the designer ones.

Breeders, to add a larger (Possibly healthier) gene pool to their lineage, especially with designers.

Breeders, to add a larger (Possibly healthier) gene pool to their lineage, especially with designers.

with the sheer amount of percula in the hobby, strengthening the designers gene pool would be fine with any captive bred specimen. The family tree for regulars doesn't look like the telephone pole that resembles the designers.

I get what your saying with the breeding back in the lowest denom but thats not applicable really unless its being line bred over and over for a trait.

The bulk of breeders I have seen that are hobbyists keep a breeding pair and sell off the babies. They are doing it for the challenge of breeding saltwater not so much for the challenge of selective breeding something new and cool or perfecting markings.

I think it's still kinda pathetic you could have had a fish or coral for 10+ years and suddenly it's illegal and therefore you must surrender it... What so they can liter it die in holding or something similar, a shame I think. why wouldn't they license companies to to provide certified captive bred or cultured corals and fish.

I think it's still kinda pathetic you could have had a fish or coral for 10+ years and suddenly it's illegal and therefore you must surrender it... What so they can liter it die in holding or something similar, a shame I think. why wouldn't they license companies to to provide certified captive bred or cultured corals and fish.

The article says you get the fish registered and keep it as its grandfathered in, you don't have to surrender it.

Archived