Cultivated Reef

Par Meter Led tank

tierarzt

Hey, I'm looking for a reliable par meter to fine tune / perfectly dial in my razor nano over my 20G cube. I have read that par meters can read lower or in general be inaccurate with leds. If anyone has had success with a specific meter and can recommend one please let me know. Thanks!

You pretty much have two choices in the 'feasible' realm - the Apogee meters (which are good), sensor itself runs $160 and have your own multimeter or buy the whole shebang for $320ish, or the Li-cor meter, which is around a grand, but is much more accurate. Obviously I'd recommend the former lol.

Sometimes if you are super duper lucky you can get a refurb LiCor directly from them for ~$450. When they come up though they disappear very quickly. But if you have the luck gods in your favor you can score big time.

Apogee meters is not good. It has up to 3-times error in critical important violet part of spectrum. Even experienced reefkeeper may devastate own reef owing to using Apogee meter.

Apogee meters is not good. It has up to 3-times error in critical important violet part of spectrum. Even experienced reefkeeper may devastate own reef owing to using Apogee meter.

That's scenario would be less the fault if the meter and more the reefkeeper for not researching his tool correctly.

The correction calculations are rather well documented after all. :)

You know about flaws of Apogee meter. You also know about correction. But you sure about ALL reefkeepers has this knowledge? I'm not sure.

Please understand my opinion - trust to Apogee may devastate home reef. This is extremely important point.

I doubt all reefkeepers do have such knowledge and i respect your opinion on the matter.

My opinion is that if someone is going to spend money on something as expensive as a quantum meter or similar device they should throughly research the product first.

A similar strategy should be used with all matters in this hobby honestly but that's another debate fire another time.

It will not measure spectrum (any spectral plots the software shows will be approximations based on the RGB light sensor used in the device), nor will it be any more accurate than the Apogee (again because of that RGB light sensor)

Seneye Reef is a toy. Not more. At least when we speak about of light.

Ok but not everyone can drop $1k on a LiCor. At least the Seneye can give a good approximation like the Apogee and also measure other useful things. What's the point of coming into the thread and bashing everything when you have no other solutions to offer.

A little late in the game, but has anyone compared a PAR meter against a light meter?

Either a cheapo lux meter or a real photographic light meter, like a Sekonic or Gossen.

Seneye Reef is a toy. Not more. At least when we speak about of light.

A little late in the game, but has anyone compared a PAR meter against a light meter?

Either a cheapo lux meter or a real photographic light meter, like a Sekonic or Gossen.

The calculation when using a cheapo lux meter if I am not mistaken is divide by 67 to get PAR approximation.

The calculation when using a cheapo lux meter if I am not mistaken is divide by 67 to get PAR approximation.

This is very approximate ratio. To be honest, it is mistakenly ratio. Please note - visibility of 410nm light is approximately 100 times less than 555nm. So, any luxmeter will be wrong for this critical important part of spectrum many times, noticeably more than Apogee.

I hope, till end of September I will show in which way this task can be solved by cheap and elegant way.

I thought the Apogee was bad reading at blue and violet.

It reads low at both ends of the visible light spectrum. Compensation factors are given on Apogee's site and are mentioned and disussed all over the Internet.

Like any scientific instrument, one needs to do some basic research in order to use it properly.

Thanks for the lively input. I may look into renting the apogee before shelling out to buy one. I am aware of the corrections that need to be calculated in for the blue and violet light. Thanks again!

Archived