SaltCritters.com

How did you get into Reefing?

Dr.Brain Coral

I wanted to set up a tank and my husband said that if I were going to I had to go with saltwater because the fish are so much more colorful. That was ten years ago in Florida. Now I have decided to add corals in too. Slow going but it is getting there. Hubby doesn't like the corals as much, they just sit there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that budget reef video on YouTube, the one by I think it's indo pacific reef farms at the time I was a freshman in high school, super broke and could only really afford what was in the video( mostly cause I already had most of it). Being able to concentrate on building a mini ecosystem kept me out of a lot of trouble and made me make friends :)

My husband has always had FW tanks and when we would go to LFS I was always drawn to the reef tanks. One day while he was trying to justify getting himself some enormous tank he suggested I set up a tank. I did. And I'm pretty sure my little 20G cost the same as the total of all his tanks!

Growing up in Australia I always had a fascination for the great barrier reef. After visiting it with my familiy in my early teens I was hell bent on becoming a Marine Biologist but when High School rolled around I forgot this ambition and found myself studying IT and Business at University after High School. During my time at University I met one of my now good friends who had a number of tanks over the years and whos brother was in the process of setting up a small 30G AIO. After seeing how the tank was set up and what was involved I got the itch and never looked back and somehow in my first attempt at a SW tank I managed to get voted TOTM :).

Builder Anthony

I used to watch a friends tank and a pet store closed down and threw a bunch of live rock into the gravel by a alley.There were some nice PC's and bought some salt.

lilmatty5dimes

i always thought they were hard to keep so never really got into it. a friend sold me his biocube 14 for $100 on 11/11/11(no lie) and i've been on it ever since. lol

Three years ago a co-worker set a 14G nano up on his desk one day. Little by little I got hooked as I learned something new every day about his tank. I have a 28G JBJ Nano LED now and just recently I set up a 15 G planted tank (Freshwater) downstairs.

Archived