Top Shelf Aquatics

Stand Questions

jabeuy

I'm in the middle of planning a new build and have some questions about stands.

1) I see metal stands all the time that are just frames. Should the stand be hollow (bottomless) like that where the tank rests on the edges? Should it have a at least an additional center brace. Should it have a bottom? Or does it not matter?

2) For a rimless tank, is a mat necessary when there's a tabletop? What if its sitting on thr edges of a metal stand?

Thanks!

For a tank with a plastic bottom frame, the stand just needs to support the frame (as the actual bottom of the tank does not touch the stand). For a rimless tank, the stand should have a solid top. Follow the tank manufacturer's recommendations regarding a foam mat.

If you watch the TV show tanked, their tanks have plywood attached to the bottom of their tanks to provide support. As for center braces, I'm not sure what the rule is. However, I would recommend a center support for any frameless tank that exceeds 2' (unsupported segments no longer than 2', with supports under all of the edges/seams). Someone please correct me if this is not accurate.

Yes I have used 80/20 quick frame for my 25 gallon Mr. Aqua cube tank.

I did add a piece of Delrin plastic under the tank as well as for the shelf area for the sump.

An put Mr. aqua mats under the tank.

The stand is then skinned with oak plywood and I use french cleats to hold the sides on which then just lift off for service of the

sump.

Here is the bare stand after I finished. I use quick frame at work all the time I have been using it now for 40 years.:)

Photo%20Apr%2006%2C%205%2040%2048%20PM.j

Yes I have used 80/20 quick frame for my 25 gallon Mr. Aqua cube tank.

I did add a piece of Delrin plastic under the tank as well as for the shelf area for the sump.

An put Mr. aqua mats under the tank.

Nice! That stuff is so versatile, lots of things you can make :D

How did you put the mat under the tank? Did you add some sort of a flat top to the stand?

Interesting... I think this might actually work for me? I could probably drill it to do what I want, too. The only problem I see is that the 1" square pieces only seem to come in 15" lengths? I guess with the end corners, that would be ~17" each side, correct (if one made a square). I'm trying to build a stand to be around that in terms of wide and length, but I wanted a 32" height.

Interesting... I think this might actually work for me? I could probably drill it to do what I want, too. The only problem I see is that the 1" square pieces only seem to come in 15" lengths? I guess with the end corners, that would be ~17" each side, correct (if one made a square). I'm trying to build a stand to be around that in terms of wide and length, but I wanted a 32" height.

Where do you see the 15" lengths?

I found this place near me to sells these: http://store.cpiautomation.com/mechanical/aluminum-extrusion/1515-ls-t-slotted-aluminum-extrusion/

They seem to come in different lengths.

You can get pieces as long as you want. They will cut to length and ship to you. I had a piece of 12 foot that I used to make this stand with some left over. You generally have to work thru and industrial supply house in your area. I just called and gave them the parts I needed and they where on my door step in two days.

The outside of the tank is being finished with oak veneer plywood then held on the outside with french cleats for easy access to the sump.

Where do you see the 15" lengths?

I found this place near me to sells these: http://store.cpiautomation.com/mechanical/aluminum-extrusion/1515-ls-t-slotted-aluminum-extrusion/

They seem to come in different lengths.

I somehow ended up on a pdf on the 8020.net site and saw that. I was wondering.

You can get pieces as long as you want. They will cut to length and ship to you. I had a piece of 12 foot that I used to make this stand with some left over. You generally have to work thru and industrial supply house in your area. I just called and gave them the parts I needed and they where on my door step in two days.

The outside of the tank is being finished with oak veneer plywood then held on the outside with french cleats for easy access to the sump.

The french cleat thing is what I was planning, myself. I need to try and find a local dealer for the framing. I assume a hacksaw is what you use to cut?

I also wonder what kind of loads they can handle?

I'm wondering about the loads too. They look like they have different size profiles for different strengths.

And there are all different types of connectors, also wondering if these have any effect on load bearing capacity.

There is a program that you download that lets you calculate the load.My stand can hold 800lbs.

Here is a stand for a 600 liters = 150 gallon tank. Same size framing.

178319d1410856927-hello-germany-uploadfr

178320d1410856967-hello-germany-uploadfr

Archived