Innovative Marine Aquariums

HW-Marinemix Salt

CrazyCarl

Anyone else care to post their initial parameters post-mix? (thanks, sangheili)

I'm looking at the end of my current bag of Reef Crystals sometime in January... might be time to look into changing over.

jedimaster1138

Following this. I'm nearing the end of a big box of ESV and I'm thinking about switching, especially given all the press about ESV coming with high PO4 levels out of the box (which I'm hoping to test myself).

I'm not a fan of high alk levels in a salt mix either, so that, among other reasons has me looking favorably at hw...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mixed up a batch this weekend. Mixed clear in about 10 minutes doesn't seem to be any residue in the bucket. Just tested calcium and alk after mixing and heating for 24 hrs. 2-2/3 cups of mix in approximately 5 gallons RODI gave me almost exactly 35ppt 1.0264sg.

Salifert kits

cal: 450

kh: 8.0

I am happy with those numbers though I expected the kh to be higher. will test the next batch again next week and post. Going to test phosphate and mag also.

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed another batch. after about 4 hours of mixing. Couldn't find my hanna checker for phosphate, but here are the other parameters.

Salifert kits.

cal: 450

alk: 8.3

mag: 1350

How have the corals in your tank responded? Both overall and immediately post-water change, I mean.

Those numbers look pretty decent, though. Thanks for keeping this thread updated with your findings!

Corals are responding well. Post water change everything looks great. My SPS are coloring up a lot actually. I just upgraded and transferred the corals a few weeks ago. the system is clean and I am running GFO and also added another light so I can't attribute it entirely to the salt, but I would like to think it has something to do with it.

• 1 month later...

Bump. Late to the game, as usual, but just waking up to this salt thanks to CrazyCarl. :)

Does the box come in individual bags, or one giant bag? I'm looking for a good salt that mixes closer to 8KH.

jedimaster1138

One giant bag. Well it's not that giant. They actually cram it into the box quite well. And the bag is heavy grade plastic, not super thin trash bag stuff. I'm able to pull out the bag and store it in an old IORC bucket.

I just opened a new box yesterday. I'll probably mix a batch this weekend and will test it. I finished a full box recently and find it to be excellent stuff. PO4=0, which was nice coming from the ESV phosphate party.

masterbuilder

On my second box of HW-Marine and mine mixes up very close to my last batch.

SG 1.025 (calibrated refractometer)

ALK 8.9-9.1

CA 425-440

MG 1350-1380

First numbers are with Salifert and second set is with Red Sea

Dont know why others test lower ALK but it might just be when you/me think the the colors indicate the proper change. I am happy with HW and have no plans to change. Instant mix up, consistent levels that are not crazy stupid sky high, corals are happy. Nice that it doesnt clump up in the bag like a few others do.

wannabereefer

Im using the hw- reefer salt and mine is around 6-7 alk on 2 different test kit. But i prefer the low alk as im dosing. Any higher than 8 alk im losing color. Seems like at 6kh i get crazy vibrant color but its kind of at a danger zone if my doser failed to keep up.

Back to topic, best salt i used up to date.

• 2 weeks later...
jedimaster1138

New batch with a new bag. Cleaned out the mixing bucket and all the pumps, rinsing with RO/DI.

SG 1.026 / Salinity 35 ppt calibrated hand held refractometer

ALK 8.1-8.2 (Red Sea and Hanna Digital)

CA 430 ppm (Red Sea)

MG 1260 - ish (Red Sea)

Definitely a fan of this salt.

Archived