Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HW-Marinemix Salt

CrazyCarl

Anyone using this salt? In the process of upgrading and was using premixed SW, I purchased an RODI and am researching salt mixes. I watched the video on BRS's website and it seems like it might be worth the extra coin (maybe I am just susceptible to their sales pitches). Planning on doing mixed reef with a decent amount of SPS. They are claiming purely synthetic (as opposed to mined, or byproduct from desalinization plants), mixes almost instantly, leaves no residue, zero phosphates, nitrates etc...

My other candidates are IO reef crystals or Red Sea Coral Pro (not too keen on such high alk levels though).

Couldn't find a whole lot of threads on this salt so just curious if anyone has any experience with it.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/index/view/id/250/

Honestly, salt is an interesting subject. Your best bet will probably be to find a model tank (one that keeps the type of corals you're trying to keep) and figure out what salt that person's using. But a lot of amazing tanks have had success using the cheaper salts.

You'll also want to figure out what parameters you want to keep (alk, calcium, mag) and find a salt that mixes closest to that (if you're looking for lower alk, does the plain IO or Red Sea match?). That way your weekly/biweekly water changes won't be too different from the tank's parameters, just in case. Of course, that'd only matter if you're doing particularly large WCs (say, in case of emergency). 10% WCs may not make that big a difference.

Honestly, salt is an interesting subject. Your best bet will probably be to find a model tank (one that keeps the type of corals you're trying to keep) and figure out what salt that person's using. But a lot of amazing tanks have had success using the cheaper salts.

You'll also want to figure out what parameters you want to keep (alk, calcium, mag) and find a salt that mixes closest to that (if you're looking for lower alk, does the plain IO or Red Sea match?). That way your weekly/biweekly water changes won't be too different from the tank's parameters, just in case. Of course, that'd only matter if you're doing particularly large WCs (say, in case of emergency). 10% WCs may not make that big a difference.

Yeah I have read through all of the "which salt is the best?" threads here. Since I am starting from scratch, just want to weigh all options. I am leaning towards IO reef crystals due to price and availability. RSCP mixes at 12.3-12.7 DkH for 1.025 salinity. I have dosers and an apex, just seems like it is unnecessarily high. I am currently keeping Alk between 8 and 9. Just looking for hands on experience with this particular salt.

Yeah I have read through all of the "which salt is the best?" threads here. Since I am starting from scratch, just want to weigh all options. I am leaning towards IO reef crystals due to price and availability. RSCP mixes at 12.3-12.7 DkH for 1.025 salinity. I have dosers and an apex, just seems like it is unnecessarily high. I am currently keeping Alk between 8 and 9. Just looking for hands on experience with this particular salt.

Ah, I see. I've only got experience with Reef Crystals and RSCP, and you're right about the high alkalinity. Hopefully someone can chime in about the HW.

A lot of people keeping ULNS tanks with alk around 8dKH use the original Red Sea salt (blue bucket), so that may be a good choice. It's just a bit harder to find. Bulk Reef Supply sells it, though, and for a pretty good price.

People have been very successful with SPS before Marinemix and with many different salts. I think all that matters is finding one that mixes to the alk/ca/mg you want. Stability is #1.

I use coralife because I wanted something with a lower alk and its only $45 for 200 gallons. Ca mixes up 500+ and Mg is around 1350 (red sea kits). I think alk was around 8 or 9. My SPS tank is new but they are growing and holding color.

I tried the regular red sea salt (blue bucket) but found the ca/mg mixed up lower than I liked for SPS so no more of that for me.

I am happy with coralife but ordered some Kent just to compare since it is the same price. I wouldn't mind finding something around 1400-1450 mg but low alk. I hear Kent might fit that bill.

Many people love reef crystals but it isn't an option for me as I like to do a little carbon dosing.

People have been very successful with SPS before Marinemix and with many different salts. I think all that matters is finding one that mixes to the alk/ca/mg you want. Stability is #1.

I use coralife because I wanted something with a lower alk and its only $45 for 200 gallons. Ca mixes up 500+ and Mg is around 1350 (red sea kits). I think alk was around 8 or 9. My SPS tank is new but they are growing and holding color.

I tried the regular red sea salt (blue bucket) but found the ca/mg mixed up lower than I liked for SPS so no more of that for me.

I am happy with coralife but ordered some Kent just to compare since it is the same price. I wouldn't mind finding something around 1400-1450 mg but low alk. I hear Kent might fit that bill.

Many people love reef crystals but it isn't an option for me as I like to do a little carbon dosing.

Will definitely look into coralife salt. Thanks. Why can't you carbon dose with Reef Crystals?

I am in the school of "most all QUALITY salts are good" as long as you use them for long periods of time and let your livestock become acclimated to each one.

But to answer your question, I use hw-marinemix reefer and have no plans to change. It mixes up almost instantly with no left over residue and each batch tests exactly the same in 10 or 12 times I have checked. Its a very fine powder and no clumping so far. I especially like it because the levels are where I keep my tank and it's the main reason decided to give it a try, a huge plus too me. I have no use for some of the popular salts that mix up with ridiculously sky high levels.

My mix tests at: (salifert)

SG 1.025 (1/2cup+1tbs per gal)

ALK 9.0

CA 430

MG 1360-1380

(your mileage may vary)

I have tried a few different salt mixes and hw-marinemix is probably my favorite, my corals seem think so too. They are happiest immediately after a water change. Good enough for me.

NirvanaandTool

Wow didn't know Coralife had numbers like that. I'll have to give it a shot next time I need salt.

I normally stick pretty religiously to Oceanic b/c of the price but I've tried RC and Seachem reef in the past. Both seemed ok but I've had great SPS growth with just plain old Oceanic.

If I had a small pico or nano I would probably try Marinemix Salt. The alk/ca/mg levels they report look good. Many salts are synthetic but I do like that there isn't an anti-caking agent in it.

One of the benefits of having a nano is being able to buy better equipment (or in this case try $$$ salts) without breaking the bank.

Will definitely look into coralife salt. Thanks. Why can't you carbon dose with Reef Crystals?

Running a tank with high alk + carbon dosing = burnt tips so I keep my tank at a lower alk and try to use salts with lower alk.

I am in the school of "most all QUALITY salts are good" as long as you use them for long periods of time and let your livestock become acclimated to each one.

But to answer your question, I use hw-marinemix reefer and have no plans to change. It mixes up almost instantly with no left over residue and each batch tests exactly the same in 10 or 12 times I have checked. Its a very fine powder and no clumping so far. I especially like it because the levels are where I keep my tank and it's the main reason decided to give it a try, a huge plus too me. I have no use for some of the popular salts that mix up with ridiculously sky high levels.

ALK 9.0

CA 430

MG 1360-1380

(your mileage may vary)

I have tried a few different salt mixes and hw-marinemix is probably my favorite, my corals seem think so too. They are happiest immediately after a water change. Good enough for me.

Huh... I've been running with ReefCrystals for the past few months to decent results, but I wouldn't mind getting back down to a more reasonable alkalinity level come water change time.

Especially given that mine's a softie tank... I don't see any reason to fuel yet more coraline growth.

Kent salt arrived. Here are the results using red sea test kits:

Mg: 1420

Ca: 500+ (kit only tests up to 500, so not sure exact value)

Alk: 8.7

So similar to Coralife but higher Mg.

ALK 9.0

CA 430

MG 1360-1380

(your mileage may vary)

Thanks for the reply. So I think I am going to start up my tank with regular IO salt or Red Sea Blue Bucket, and at some point before I start introducing SPS I will dose to get parameters stable and switch to HW-Marinemix. I know a lot of systems can be very successful with any quality salt, but if it is something I can control to make it that much better, I am going to do it, that is just my approach to the hobby. The cost difference may add up over the long run but I can always switch it up in the future. Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

So just opened the box of HWMarineMix Reefer and mixed up a bucket.

First impressions:

• Salt is super high quality with zero clumping. Looks like high quality sugar from the supermarket.
  • The bag holding the salt inside the box fits absolutely perfectly in a 5 gallon bucket for storage.
  • It mixed up clear in under 5 minutes!!

This stuff seems amazing. I'll try to run some tests tonight.

Update:

Tests done on batch after 2hrs mixing. 34ppt salinity. Red Sea test kits.

• Alk: 7.7dkh
  • Calc: 480 (seems crazy... need to retest later)

So just opened the box of HWMarineMix Reefer and mixed up a bucket.

First impressions:

• Salt is super high quality with zero clumping. Looks like high quality sugar from the supermarket.
  • The bag holding the salt inside the box fits absolutely perfectly in a 5 gallon bucket for storage.
  • It mixed up clear in under 5 minutes!!

This stuff seems amazing. I'll try to run some tests tonight.

Update:

Tests done on batch after 2hrs mixing. 34ppt salinity. Red Sea test kits.

• Alk: 7.7dkh
  • Calc: 480 (seems crazy... need to retest later)

Cool. Interested to hear the final numbers.

Mixing up a new batch now. Planning to test 1hr after mixing and 12 or 24hrs after mixing.

4.5ish gallons with 75deg F RODI water. After 1hr the water bucket looks like RODI water. Sg at a perfect 35 w/ using 680g of salt mix. Testing with Red Sea kits.

Updating post as I go.

• Sg: 35 ppt
  • Alk: 8.1 dkh
  • Calc: 500 ppm
  • Mag: 1360 ppm

I wonder if my batch is off, if this is the intended values, or if the components in the salt settled and separated somehow? 8.1/500 is no where near a balanced alk/calc (not that you have to have balanced alk/calc, but its desirable).

On BRS's website it says alk of 9, calcium 445-450, and mag at 1380 for the reefer, so not terribly far off I guess, alk a little bit out of range though. Thanks for checking it out, let us know how the corals respond.

On BRS's website it says alk of 9, calcium 445-450, and mag at 1380 for the reefer, so not terribly far off I guess, alk a little bit out of range though. Thanks for checking it out, let us know how the corals respond.

I sent a message off to BRS about it. I'm ok with things being below promised but above is a challenge. You can easily supplement to bring parameters up but dropping them is hard. Not sure I want to maintain 500 calc in my tank. Anyway i'll be testing again this morning after it having mixed overnight, maybe some of the calc precipitated off.

Mixing up a new batch now. Planning to test 1hr after mixing and 12 or 24hrs after mixing.

4.5ish gallons with 75deg F RODI water. After 1hr the water bucket looks like RODI water. Sg at a perfect 35 w/ using 680g of salt mix. Testing with Red Sea kits.

Updating post as I go.

• Sg: 35 ppt
  • Mag: 1360 ppm

I wonder if my batch is off, if this is the intended values, or if the components in the salt settled and separated somehow? 8.1/500 is no where near a balanced alk/calc (not that you have to have balanced alk/calc, but its desirable).

Hobby grade test kits don't always match up. My Salifert, Red Sea, and API all give me different readings. They are more of an estimate than an actual value. Reagent kits aren't super accurate so that could be part of the discrepancies.

Hobby grade test kits don't always match up. My Salifert, Red Sea, and API all give me different readings. They are more of an estimate than an actual value.

This is very true but in this case I think the calc values is close. I just recently tested my tank water at the same time I sent off a sample to Triton Labs and my calc reading was 10 high and mag was 70 low.

Results after 12hr of mixing:

• Alk: 8.7 dkh

Using some of this water to replace acclimation water from my tank this morning. It is interesting that ORP drops very much when added to the tank. Must be all the amino acids and such added to the salt mix. Not sure I like that...

Completely mixed up the dry salt in the storage container and made up another 5gal batch. Results a tiny bit different this time but pretty much same as before. This is 2hr after mixing.

• SG: 35ppt
  • Calc: 480 ppm
  • Mag: Did not test

So I would say the alk seems to be between 8-9 and calc between 470-500 for this batch I have. I'm getting a Hanna Alk tester at the end of the week and it's worth noting my Calc test for my tank came out about 20 ppm higher then Triton lab results stated.

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted a new topic here about switching from IO to hw-Marinemix Reefer salt. I was a bit abrupt with my change, but my livestock (see my post for the stock list) seemed to love it instantly. I'm getting polyp extension that's better than ever, for some reason. I will check my levels later and see where I'm at. I feel like this one is quite promising, and I agree with the comments about the apparent salt quality, lack of clumping, speed of mixing, and how clean it mixes.

Archived