Coral Vue Hydros

Clown goby not eating, tips?

Genie382

Hi all, so I recently got this clown goby from Liveaquaria, and he doesn't seem all that interested in eating. He's only been in the tank for about 3 days and still seems a bit spooked, so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. I've tried brine shrimp and mysis shrimp (soaked in seachem garlic) and while he'll seem to pick up the occasional piece, it looks like he'll just spit it out. Food will float in front of his face and he'll just ignore it.

I stocked my tank w/ some copepods prior to getting him (though I've not seen him really eat any of those guys either), b/c I heard that they can be hit or miss w/ feeding. I heard they like cyclopeeze and my I'm gonna order some online. Do you guys have any advice?

Imo give him/her a few days. They like to dig holes. I used to worry about mine at the start (like you), but if they get real hungry they'll come out for the food bits. The problem was they tend to like the back of the tank where you could never see them /shrug (well, ime). I was able to see mine from the side, but barely, stupid goby)

My guy tends to stick to the front of the aquarium, but he hasn't really perched on any of the rock/corals, he just keeps swimming up against the glass, which is why I think he may be still just freaked out about being in a new tank. :/

I'll keep on trying, hopefully, he'll start eating soon (maybe I'll try and track down some live brine shrimp).

Mr. Microscope

Clown gobies can be tough to get started and can be finicky when you first introduce them to your tank. I had a YCG in my pico and it took me about a week to get him eating. What finally worked for me was Cyclope-Eze. He responded to that right away. It's not very nutritious though. If you try it, start with the cyclope-eze. Once he starts eating it, try mixing it with mysis the next day. Eventually, it should start eating straight up mysis or whatever else you feed it.

Good luck!

Mine took a few days as well, he was real timid and hid in the rocks at the back of the tank. I never really tried to do anything "special" to get him to eat, just the daily routine. One day he must have just been hungry enough and started going after the pellets. Now he is front and center in the tank and is ready for mealtime with the rest of the crew.

Clown gobies can be tough to get started and can be finicky at the start. I had a YCG in my pico and it took me about a week to get him eating. What finally worked for me was Cyclope-Eze. He responded to that right away. It's not very nutritious though. If you try it, start with the cyclope-eze. Once he starts eating it, try mixing it with mysis the next day. Eventually, it should start eating straight up mysis or whatever else you feed it.Good luck!
+1 to this. I also crumble up flake food for mine. Mine eat Reef Roids also which is Cyclope-Eze <--- thanks for spelling that for me Scope ;).

I have yet to see any fish not eat Larrys reef frenzy. I have a friend that got a yellow clown goby and when he put him in I said feed it. He thought I was crazy he tried a little food and the fish took right to it. I always feed the fish a tiny amount when I introduce them to a new tank even if it is going from one to another of mine.

I have yet to see any fish not eat Larrys reef frenzy. I have a friend that got a yellow clown goby and when he put him in I said feed it. He thought I was crazy he tried a little food and the fish took right to it. I always feed the fish a tiny amount when I introduce them to a new tank even if it is going from one to another of mine.

I tried this food, the reef frenzy and none of my fish touch the stuff.

I tried this food, the reef frenzy and none of my fish touch the stuff.

Strange since it is made mysis and a lot of other variety of natural foods. What do you feed then?

I try to keep the diet varied so I feed spiralina brine, mysis, coral frenzy, reef roids, flakes, and pellets. I soak all my food in selcon as well. LFS had reef frenzy available said it was good stuff. Dropped it in the tank after making it smaller bite size and the fish just looked at it.

My inverts (hermits, porcelains, shrimp and rock flower anemone) go nuts for Larry's nano blend... my fish, meh. My yellow clown goby will aggressively grab pieces, but by and large they're all too big unless I really, really mince it up. The mandarin... well it's normal for it to not recognize food as, well food. :rolleyes:

Nutramar, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, small amounts of masago (capelin/flying fish eggs) will usually do the trick. Another trick that worked for mine before I had the smorgasbord available was crushing pellet food to make bite sizes small enough. It took to that readily without any more "spit-outs" pretty quickly.

Success! Sort of...

I had some reef frenzy that I hadn't tried yet and dropped some in the tank (soaked in garlic). My goby ignored it at first (actually swam away from it when some of it fell on him). Seeing as I had a bit left I decided to just spot feed my corals w/ the remainder. I walked away and next thing I know, I returned I spot the little bugger stealing bits from my hammer coral!!!! He also finally started perching on the dry rock (he also thumped his fat booty into my hammer coral, after stealing from it and evicted my sexy shrimp!). So cute. Thanks for all the advice folks. I'm still gonna pick up some Cyclop-eeze as that seems to be a popular choice for these guys. I'll keep you all posted.

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Eugenia88/media/b6c7e48d-52dc-4fcb-89d2-c7a48b2db1af.jpg.html'>b6c7e48d-52dc-4fcb-89d2-c7a48b2db1af.jpg

Here's the little guy.

Success! Sort of...

I had some reef frenzy that I hadn't tried yet and dropped some in the tank (soaked in garlic). My goby ignored it at first (actually swam away from it when some of it fell on him). Seeing as I had a bit left I decided to just spot feed my corals w/ the remainder. I walked away and next thing I know, I returned I spot the little bugger stealing bits from my hammer coral!!!! He also finally started perching on the dry rock (he also thumped his fat booty into my hammer coral, after stealing from it and evicted my sexy shrimp!). So cute. Thanks for all the advice folks. I'm still gonna pick up some Cyclop-eeze as that seems to be a popular choice for these guys. I'll keep you all posted.

b6c7e48d-52dc-4fcb-89d2-c7a48b2db1af.jpg

Here's the little guy.

So cute! Glad he's eating a little bit!

Just a quick nitpick... that's a citron goby. Somewhat different temperament than a yellow clown goby.

But it looks like it's in great shape! Probably just "settling in to new tank" stress... great news that it's acting more at home.

:happydance: Happy the little guy is eating finally. It is hard to see the new fish not eating. I always mince up Larrys my friend got the nano thinking it was minced finer but it wasn't.

Yeah, I have the nano version too and those are some pretty big pieces of meat they have in there. I may have to chop it up finer next time.

Thanks again guys, he's got a pretty nice personality so far (doesn't seem to spoke very easily), so fingers crossed!

Builder Anthony

Fish eggs from freshwater fish recently caught.They go nuts.I gave some to a pet store near me to save their staveing clowns.I threw it in his tank and the skinny go by ate it right away.I never tried caviear but maybe thatwould work as well.my brother caught some cropies that were pregnant but he didn't know till file ting them.I took the eggs and figured my coral would eat them and at the time I had a clown go by and he went after it so I froze the eggs and they make a great reef food in my opinion.I'd maybe try caviear that's plain but I don't know much about the store type.it works and is my number one choice.I trained my ycg to eat table shrimp that I tore little strips out of but its dead now by lethal rich which in my opinion they are able to catch very easily.I think your water has to be very clean for them to live a full life.

Archived