Top Shelf Aquatics

3 Gallon Almost-Budget Pico - new fts and video #105

rocksmom

Even though I'm still working on getting my 5 gallon going, I decided to start a "budget" 3 gallon to house some of the extra frags I have, plus a couple things I still want that just won't fit. This thing is going to be very low tech, and I'm trying to use as much of the stuff I already have as possible. Here's a quick rundown of what I already have:

Cadlights 3 gallon zen series tank (low iron, rimless)
2 AZOO mini hob filters (1 for floss, 1 for carbon)
marco rock
small rio pump or rw4 if I can make it fit

What I need:

Light

Things I won't be using are a skimmer, controller, heater (wouldn't want to use one without a controller and we keep it between 76 and 78 in here), and probably no ato. I do have a jbj ato, so it might go on either this or my 5g.

Here's the tank:

15221235655_aa512fcb87_c.jpgDSC00563 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

And where I plan on keeping it:

15221234475_454cccde9b_c.jpgDSC00565 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

I got a can of textured spray paint today to do the bottom since I'm going to run the tank bare bottom. I had to spray it in my shower since I'm in a condo and don't really have any outdoor space. Here it is drying:

15043741718_f9a103c91d_c.jpgDSC00569 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Still have to do the back tomorrow. I'm just going to roll it, I didn't want to risk any black overspray. From past experience I knew that textured stuff doesn't have much overspray, I think because it's "heavy" from the texture. I had already bought some marco rock for my other tank that I ended up not using, so I put together a scape today:

15207289296_504b32e34d_c.jpgDSC00566 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Stocking plans are primarily lps. I have a few rainbow acans that will definitely be going in. They were the whole reason for the tank. I really want to get some teal trumpets. My husband used to have some in his tank before we moved and I loved them. I also drool all over the screen every time I see gena's. I also want to get a maxi-mini and some clove polyps. Maybe an octospawn. I had a pretty blue one before, but I'd like to find a pink one.

My biggest issue concerning this tank is the lighting. I know there are plenty of options out there for a tank this size, but my two biggest considerations are budget and finding one that is low profile. I could go super inexpensive and get something like the Finnex Marine+ Fugeray. It's only $55 on Amazon and it says it's like 9 watts or something like that. My issue with that is that it's not adjustable in any way. Color spectrum, height, and intensity are all fixed. Next step up would be a par30, but I don't want anything with a lamp or gooseneck because of the location. Big jump to the next price range, a buildmyled fixture. That would be 3-4x the price of the finnex by the time I got the manual dimmer and legs.

The fixture I'd really like to try is the reefbreeders nano, but I'd have to rig some sort of hanger or legs for it. The legs they sell look really tall and are expensive for what they are.

Suggestions on lighting options are more than welcome, but I don't plan on doing any DIY and I'd prefer something that sits on the rim rather than the clamp on IM type lights.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are willing to deal with the hassle of getting something from outside the country, might want to check out the company Aqualighter. I have not seen them in person but they look pretty awesome and I think they are cheap. Unfortunately I think you have to write or call them to buy, can't just do it online.

Here is a link to the nano marine fixture, they also have larger ones that sit on the tank

http://www.aqualighter.com/aqualighter-nano-marine-8228.html?language=gb

ive seen people use the 120w evergrow ebay units successfully on lps' and sps'. hell i even bought one myself. even a par30 or par38 bulb would work well for this tank. best of luck and i look forward to seeing it's progress.

Thanks for the light suggestions, but I think I'm going to use the Kessil I already have. I didn't want to do anything with a gooseneck, but if my best options are a par30 or par38 then I might as well just use the Kessil. It's on the frag tank now, but I also have a Viper 150w so I'm going to put that over the frag tank when the time comes. I did order the 90 degree adapter for the kessil though. I figure with that and if I move the picture up some it shouldn't look too bad.

That means so far I spent $20 for the adapter and $6 for the textured spray paint. Not bad.

I got the bottom and back painted, but the back paint isn't adhering very well from being rolled on. I might just peel it off and go with the frosted background I had on there before. It won't camouflauge the powerhead as well, but the wall is pretty dark so it shouldn't be too bad. Here's a pic of the tank as it is now (old hard water stains and all) with the rock in it:

15215882576_2e4a67b09d_c.jpgDSC00574 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

I'm going to get the rock cycling today. I'll put some liverock in with it to speed things up. This build should move pretty quickly, which means I need to get that cabinet ready. Need to make a mount for the light too.

Checked Morgan's site and unless I missed them somehow it looks like she's out of the teal trumpets. <_< I wanted to place an order this week for those and a maxi-mini. I'll have to look again, maybe she'll have more available soon.

Checked Morgan's site and unless I missed them somehow it looks like she's out of the teal trumpets. <_< I wanted to place an order this week for those and a maxi-mini. I'll have to look again, maybe she'll have more available soon.

What is the url for Morgan's site?

I'm guessing manual topoff?

Most likely. I do have a JBJ, but I'll probably end up either not using it or putting it on my 5 gallon.

What is the url for Morgan's site?

She's a sponsor here. Her site is reefgardener.net.

Why do you do this to me Rocksmom? It seems your always two steps ahead of me. Haha

About a week ago i decided to pull my old 3 gal Picotope out of the closet and do a secondary build on it BUT NOOOOO, do you think i'd be able to get mine running first.....NOOO, not with good ole Rocksmom out there. LOL.

Well i'll follow yours if you will follow mine?

Why do you do this to me Rocksmom? It seems your always two steps ahead of me. Haha

About a week ago i decided to pull my old 3 gal Picotope out of the closet and do a secondary build on it BUT NOOOOO, do you think i'd be able to get mine running first.....NOOO, not with good ole Rocksmom out there. LOL.

You guys are twinsies!

Heh heh heh. Maybe I'm just psychic. Your 5g cycled waaaay faster than mine, so we can race again on this one. I already have mine wet tonight. You better get going!

What plans do you have for stocking? Mine will be LPS dominate and hopefully a mini-maxi with some sexy shrimp.

That actually look pretty good. Do you plan on any fish? I want a flaming prawn goby and sps. I cant see a fish with bare bottom. And i cant see a AQ70 with sand in my 5.5g with out creating a sandstorm

That actually look pretty good. Do you plan on any fish? I want a flaming prawn goby and sps. I cant see a fish with bare bottom. And i cant see a AQ70 with sand in my 5.5g with out creating a sandstorm

I'd like to do a black clown goby, but I'm afraid the anemone will eat it. Still a possibility. A flaming prawn goby isn't a shrimp goby so it will be fine with a bare bottom. He'll spend most of his time hiding in your rock anyway :P

I dig it! Great looking little tank. I really like the rock you used, as well. What epoxy did you use to get it together?

Thanks! I think it's just the TLF stuff in gray. The cardboard is long gone though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Geez, I'm surprised nobody's asked about my "one big purchase," especially you tibbsy. Let's just say I sent a pm this morning to someone whose name rhymes with Mave from Manobox.

I'd like to do a black clown goby, but I'm afraid the anemone will eat it. Still a possibility. A flaming prawn goby isn't a shrimp goby so it will be fine with a bare bottom. He'll spend most of his time hiding in your rock anyway :P

Thanks! I think it's just the TLF stuff in gray. The cardboard is long gone though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Geez, I'm surprised nobody's asked about my "one big purchase," especially you tibbsy. Let's just say I sent a pm this morning to someone whose name rhymes with Mave from Manobox.

I was wondering if that might be the case ;)

Good call. Now you'll have 2 killer picos

Just couldn't resist could you??

You may start a trend with painting the bottom like that. Nice Job

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. I got the idea from some blog a few years ago.

Just couldn't resist could you??

Nope. My justification was that I will be able to sell that kessil and gooseneck when I take down the fragtank, plus that 90 degree adapter was going to be $20, PLUS I would have had to get supplies to add some sort mounting bracket to the back of my cabinet. That would be pretty darn close to the price of the Eco. I have the option of upgrading later too, which is nice. Something I couldn't do with any of my other options.

Archived