Pod Your Reef

3 Gallon Almost-Budget Pico - new fts and video #105

rocksmom

Got another package in the mail yesterday, this time from the lovely gena. It was PACKED with ochtodes as well as my first little hh/cuc member. It's a tiny little brittle (or serpent? I don't know the difference) star that was clinging to the ochtodes. He's now in the tank along with a few clumps of the algae that I tried stuffing strategically into certain crevices. Then of course little bits flew around the tank and landed everywhere! Lol. So much for that. The stuff is beautiful though, so I don't mind.

15301834277_1a49391119_c.jpgDSC00699 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

The light I have on there right now is only 7K, so the color isn't great. It was the light I used on the tank when it was freshwater. I put the rest of the ochtodes in my messy frag tank where it's currently making pretty purple tumbleweeds. You can see the color much better under the Kessil:

15301513429_6ef4d39e89_c.jpgDSC00706 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Nanobox should be here soon, I saw Dave post a picture of what I'm pretty sure is my eco. Once it's here I can start moving corals in. I put the Miami Hurricane in my 5G and the cyphastrea didn't make it, but the other two chalices look great. I also have candy canes, micros, acans... I almost placed an order with saltcritters this morning for a pink octospawn and a rfa. I have to keep reminding myself this tank is only 3 gallons.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking fantastic, planning any fish?

Thanks. Hopefully even better when I get some corals in there this weekend. ;)

I'm either going to do a fish or an anemone. Right now I am strongly leaning toward a black clown goby. I am just worried about it jumping. I might contact Chris from PicO to see if he can make me a lid like the the ones he offers for his tanks. The lid that came with this tank is glass and leaves a fairly large gap around the perimeter.

Got the corals moved in yesterday!

omgomgomg

14908472393_34c1c42a24_c.jpgfts101314 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Everything is looking pretty happy except the zoas (palys maybe?) on the bottom right. The one at the top of the frag facing the light is open, but you can't really tell in the pic. They are a bright green with a thin pinkish ring and a purple skirt. There are also some tiny blue and green ones halfway between the two acans on the left in the shadowy area, and these guys that can really only be seen from the top:

14908464763_e1ed4644fe_c.jpgDSC00722 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Dem leds:

15506339676_9787a30428_c.jpgleds by rocksmom9, on Flickr

So far the only coral bought specifically for the tank was the candy canes. Everything else was leftover. I do want to get something tall for the left side like a gorgonian. I think it would be nice to both hide the pump and cord as well as fill in the whole V/Triangle scape I have going on.

Looking sharp!

good looking pico!

Loving the light!

Thanks!

I love what you've done with this tank !! I follow your other tank,and love that one too. Both are so clean :)

I really like your choice in chalices,they look awesome. That skittles one Is sexy !! How do you like the color of the 13up with a lime ? I've been debating getting one and redoing my light ;)

I love what you've done with this tank !! I follow your other tank,and love that one too. Both are so clean :)

I really like your choice in chalices,they look awesome. That skittles one Is sexy !! How do you like the color of the 13up with a lime ? I've been debating getting one and redoing my light ;)

Thank you!

Both of mine have the lime so I don't really have a direct comparison to make. I will say that even when I make my the color spectrum of my controllable one visibly similar to my kessil that the colors in the coral look a lot better. I could be totally wrong because I know virtually nothing about leds, but I think it's because it allows you to have more of the blue spectrum that brings out the color while the lime makes it look "whiter" which is more visibly pleasing. Same pop, less windex. Of course you probably already know the real reason behind it if you are planning on redoing your own light. :lol:

Loving the tank and light!

So much win with the new corals in! :)

Thanks! Makes me a little sad that it's pretty much done in one. Not much updates unless something goes terribly wrong. Haha.

Thanks! Makes me a little sad that it's pretty much done in one. Not much updates unless something goes terribly wrong. Haha.

Hehe that's how my thread is right now. It's a ghost town in there. :lol:

Oh okay. You're like me then and like a more blue spectrum. Which I'm sure the line definitely helps add some brightness.

I'm debating between a NBR 13up or a StevesLED's 14up board. I think I like the one from Steves because it's long like 7.5" long because I think I'm going to order 2 24" Sunblaze single t5 fixtures and run 2 Coral+ or a Purple+ and a Blue+ idk yet lol.

Went to a lfs store today to pickup a black clown goby, but they were DOA. :( Ended up getting a few things for my husband's tank though. A fire shrimp, porcelain crab, and a tailspot blenny! I love him so much. I want to steal him. I considered it. I thought about putting my tiger goby in this tank and putting the tailspot in my 5g, but I don't think I will. Trying to keep bioloads down and mp10 = blenny blender.

I guess I'll keep trying, but now I have to wait until the TSB is out of the QT.

Oh okay. You're like me then and like a more blue spectrum. Which I'm sure the line definitely helps add some brightness.

I'm debating between a NBR 13up or a StevesLED's 14up board. I think I like the one from Steves because it's long like 7.5" long because I think I'm going to order 2 24" Sunblaze single t5 fixtures and run 2 Coral+ or a Purple+ and a Blue+ idk yet lol.

Those ATI bulbs are nice. We ran the same 4 bulb combo on a 20 gallon, but without the addition of the leds.

I really like this tank!

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Made a couple changes in the tank. The little blue and green zoas weren't getting any light from the acan shading them, so I moved a couple things around. Added a tiny frag of bird of paradise and idaho grape monti. Had to take out my pink micro. :( I noticed some gelidium growing on the plus and didn't want to risk it. It's now in my husband's tank which already had gelidium. He has a couple turbos in there that eat it though.

Need to get another coral or two to fill in the empty spots. I'm thinking two more acans and really roll with the whole acan garden thing.

Here's a fts from tonight:

15461391970_b1df5a2aa2_c.jpgfts102714 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

And two of the three sexy shrimp:

15460309779_68f6052da5_c.jpgshrimp by rocksmom9, on Flickr

And just for the heck of it, my husband's nano in 90 tank where my pink micro (plus some of my zoas from my 5g) now resides:

fts102714.jpg

That thing is packed. Yes, I know that stylo is bleached. It wasn't happy about the transition from a kessil to a mh, but is now lower in the tank and gaining back some color.

The eco has been working out great over the tank. No bleaching or recession on the acans. No reaching from the zoas. Even the BOP and monti seem happy so far. They've been in there a little over a week now and the monti frag is already showing some tissue growth where it was cut. Seems to be a very good balance for everything. Still very happy with the color too.

Tank is looking awesome,ma'am !!! I like how puffy and happy the Acan's are. Also,how do you keep your Chalice's happy ? I've been spot feeding mine,and it keeps losing flesh... I've never had a problem with him in the past but now they are giving me prooo'lems... :rant:

Tank is looking awesome,ma'am !!! I like how puffy and happy the Acan's are. Also,how do you keep your Chalice's happy ? I've been spot feeding mine,and it keeps losing flesh... I've never had a problem with him in the past but now they are giving me prooo'lems... :rant:

Thanks! I don't do anything with my chalices, so I guess benign neglect. Are yours maybe getting too much light? When I first put my miami hurricane in my other tank it started getting a bad spot on it so I moved it into the shade and now it's fine.

That could be my problem. My light is pretty strong,even turned down. I moved it into the shade,and tissue was still fading,I don't know if I'm not giving it enough time or what ( its been about a week already ) but we'll see.

I got two new acan frags for the tank today from Gonzo's Corals. He sent me a nice micro as a freebie too. The one new one is pink with light blue stripes, but it looks darker in the picture. The other is green and purple.

15058392414_fc66f495fa_c.jpgfts103114 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Close up of the free micro:

15492451669_44a6a20a5f_c.jpgmicro by rocksmom9, on Flickr

I think the shrimp might go back to the store this weekend. They've been bothering my acans enough to make them show their mesenterial filaments. I also saw one picking at the bird of paradise and now it looks like it's missing some polyps. Not sure what I should replace them with though. I really like shrimp, but IMO a cleaner or fire shrimp would look ridiculously oversized. A harlequin would be neat, but I don't want to "farm" asterinas or chocolate chips for one. Any other invert suggestions? I already have a pom pom in my other tank and my husband has a porcelain which we never even get to see.

Loveeee your fts! :)

Awesome! Keep it up!

This is looking really nice! I like the clean look and the minimal equipment approach.

Great looking tank. I love the stand!

Thanks everyone!

Sexies went back to the store AND they finally had my black clown goby!

They actually had a few to pick from, so I chose a larger one because it didn't have a sunken stomach or anything. Its fins are a little bit tattered, but I'm guessing it was getting picked on in the tank. They probably had a dozen or more various clown gobies in the same tank and there was some definite chasing and bickering going on.

Haven't been able to get a picture of him yet, he's still hiding. Cute little guy though. :wub:

Archived