Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What type of fish?

robbie_boy

I went to my LFS and they had these 2 odd looking fish. They looked like a goby but the guy said he doesn't remember unpacking them. So he had no idea where they came from so being the brave soul that I'm I decided to take them home with me.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows what type of fish they are?

imagejpg1_zps83440ad8.jpg

imagejpg1_zps9aeabdf3.jpg

I really can't tell if it is a blenny or a goby I am looking at the shape of the head and it looks more like a blenny. The coloring looks more like a shrimp goby of some type.

Looks like a juvenile red scooter dragonet or red scooter blenny. It has some red mottled markings on a white background, but what gives it away for me is the double dorsal fins, the wide oval pectoral fins, and the shape of the face with the eyes set high up on the head.

First pic - bottom right is a Yasha Goby. Upper left is a common rock-dwelling goby that inhabits tidal pools here in Malaysia. Did this shipment come from the Indo-Malaya/Cebu (SE Asia) region by any chance? Because the rock-dwelling goby is commonly caught here, but no one keeps them because they find the colors bland and 'not-pretty enough'. Nice score on the Yasha though. You could pair that one up with a Candycane Pistol shrimp. :)

Thank you everyone. The rock dwelling goby would make sense. As much as they look like a scooter Blenny I would have to say no as they are very thin and don't hop around like scooters. And they might not be the prettiest colours but they are very active and they seem to really like each other as they don't travel more then 2 inches apart.

And yeah my yasha is very pretty and quick and he will not be getting a shrimp lol I like my corals that sit on the sand haha

Thanks again everyone for the help

Rob

Nice score imo. Who cares about the colors, its nice to see different fish. I love how in this hobby I get to see new things all the time.

I love these 2 guys they are so funny to watch eat and they are just hanging out under the small rock over hangs on the sand beds. They never really swim around the tank anywhere just kinda hang around the sand bed all day waiting for food like most gobies

Archived