inTank Media Baskets

Emerald Crab Died in Molt

MMK1

So my emerald crab had been in the process of molting for 3 days and today when I came home I discovered him in two pieces, very obviously dead. You can clearly see his old molt, but it seems that he didn't develop his new shell fully. IS there anything I can do in the future to ensure my crab has a quicker, healthier molt?

Crustaceans like your crab need stable water conditions. I noticed any time i did a big water change or if i added top off water which didnt circulate well. It would cause my peppermjnt shrimp to molt. They should not be molting often. If they molt every 3 days thats bad. Chemical imbalances within the water may cause them to molt.

Crustaceans like your crab need stable water conditions. I noticed any time i did a big water change or if i added top off water which didnt circulate well. It would cause my peppermjnt shrimp to molt. They should not be molting often. If they molt every 3 days thats bad. Chemical imbalances within the water may cause them to molt.

I think MMK1 was saying the crab had been molting FOR 3 days.

I haven't had much luck with emerald crabs myself.

^^^ you are correct and i think that it shouldn't take 3 days. It seemed to be fine and was just working its way out of its old shell. I know its extremely vulnerable, but I don't have anything in my tank that would have torn it apart. I really did like him and he did a great job cleaning, so I guess i'll just get a new one.

Should I have been dosing in order to help him? Like iodine?

^^^ you are correct and i think that it shouldn't take 3 days. It seemed to be fine and was just working its way out of its old shell. I know its extremely vulnerable, but I don't have anything in my tank that would have torn it apart. I really did like him and he did a great job cleaning, so I guess i'll just get a new one.

Should I have been dosing in order to help him? Like iodine?

Nah, I killed my emerald crab after dipping a zoa in an iodine dip and not washing it properly. Forced the crab to molt too early and he didn't make it.

Archived