SaltCritters.com

Cyano Help!

MathewD

ok so ive noticed a little cyano in my tank (blue) and its on live rocks kind of and I've been syphoning it off the sand and doing about 20% water changes every 3 days or so and was wondering is it was ok to take my live rock out, sort of take the cyano off of it and then put it back in. all the while it being in water that was freshly takin out of the tank. Let me know if i sound like a complete noob ass. Thanks :scarry:

It's a bacteria, so removing the mat outside the tank isn't really going to help.

Try to figure out what's feeding it and limit that. Keep siphoning the actual sand bed in case decaying matter is decomposing and giving the cyano a buffet. Try to bring up flow around the cyano-filled areas because if it can set down a mat, you probably don't have enough.

And if you want to, get Chemiclean?

You can also try shortening your lighting for a few days. I had a cyano out break and cleaned it off the sand by siphoning it as much as I could. It started comming back and I dropped my lights to run for about 7 hours a day for a couple days and it went away.

Archived