Pod Your Reef

need some advice

baksreef5

hello, my name is randy and i just started a nano 15g reef tank. Have some questions. Its been like 27 days and I'm not sure if my tanked is cycled. So i started with some dry rocks my friend gave me and with live sand, adding small amount of fish food a day to start my cycle. About 2 weeks later i tested the water and it showed all showed 0. So i added cuc but all died. Then i added some live rocks and then about the third week I tested the water and it was 0 again.So my friend gave me some pulsing xenia to try but they dont look good either. So my main question is if the test show all the right numbers, does it mean ur cycled? And if test shows good numbers why r my cuc's and xenias dieing? thank u in advance.

EDIT: Welcome to N-R :welcome:

Need some additional information. What does your temp and salinity look like? What test kit are you using? What tests are you performing? Adding small amounts of food is a fine way to start a cycle, but the amount of food needed to cycle 15 gallons is probably more than what you used. Also, what CUC did you add to the tank? Snails, hermits, cleaner shrimp, etc.? It is awesome that your friend gave you some sand and live rock, but this will not instantly cycle the tank for you. Did you ever see a spike in Ammonia, Nitrites, or Nitrates? If not, it is very safe to assume that your tank has not yet cycled.

I would suggest reading up on the "shrimp method" of cycling, or using one of a number of chemical additives that jump start your cycle.

thank u for a quick reply. My temp is at 78 to 70. Salinity 1.024. I'm using api test kit.I did ammonia, nitrite, ph, and nitrate. For clean up crew, i had hermit crabs, turbo snails and nassarius snails. I saw lil spike in ammonia and nitrite but now its at 0. I'm starting see i guess diatoms on rocks now. u think its ok to add shrimp in now?

Test for Nitrate again and see if it shows up. Probably not the case, but is there a chance your test kit is expired? If you're seeing diatoms, you should be at the end of the cycle.

now that u mention the expiration date, ill never really checked. goin to soon as i get home. thanx again. i will try to post some pics later. last time the nitrate read like 15 to 20

The thing about api you really have to shake up the bottles, I got several different readings using the same kit I found out it if the bottle isn't shaken well enough you get a false reading.

Using dry rock will make your cycle take longer usually. If you are now just getting diatoms you are towards the end of the cycling period. That is the sign I watch for to know when to add the cuc.

I'm using RO water. Just had the filters change. haven't done that for a while. Yes, just starting to see diatoms on the rocks and some on the sand. Should i put the cuc now or wait little longer. I couldnt find the date for the expiration on the test kit, but i know its been longer then 6 to 7 yrs. But i tested again and it read 0 for ammonia and nitrate. Goin to get new test kit this weekend. Thanx again u guys!!!!!!

Remember, if you keep adding "dead" live rock, you'll have mini cycles while the bacteria grows. I wouldn't add any more live rock till a few months down the road, and i would never add any corals until the 6 month mark. Invest in a good test kit, then get back to us with your parameters. BTW, :welcome: to the forum!

So i added cuc's and a damsel and all died. So am i still cycling? But my water perimeter still looks good. I even look it to my lfs and he tested good too. What should i do now? thanx u guys

Archived