ReefCleaners.org

Islandoftiki's Hawaiian adventure!

Islandoftiki

Mr. Microscope

Wow! Congratulations!!! Very nice. I can't wait to see what you guys do with the place. I'm thinking in-floor tide pool. lol Best of luck to you in the new year!

• Like 1
Dr.Brain Coral

By the way, it's whale migration season and this part of the island is a major hotspot for whales!

You lucky Bastard

The View and house are beautiful by the way. Have you given any though as to what critters you want in your tank? That sea hare would be pretty cool

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

We got a whopper of a storm the other night. 40 mph winds and so much rain that I couldn't see 20 feet out the window. It had pretty much blown over my 11am yesterday morning, but the seas were still pretty rough. Here's a video we took about 5 minutes from the new house that shows just how rough the surf was. The ocean is a powerful thing.

• Like 5
SquishyFishy

Hey we will be in Hawaii in May, can we come visit Betty????? LOL

No seriously, we are cruising there and will be on the big island first at Hilo and then Kona around May 20th I think.

No seriously, we are cruising there and will be on the big island first at Hilo and then Kona around May 20th I think.

Sadly, he couldn't take Betty due to Hawaiian laws so she has a new owner.

Islandoftiki

Yeah Betty was a non-endemic species and Hawaii is really strict about importation of anything that isn't native. That said, once we get this new house renovated, I'll be on the hunt for an O. brevirostris mantis shrimp.

Regardless of mantis or not, there aren't a lot of folks to talk tanks with, so I'd be happy to meet up with you for cocktails and some chit-chat when you're here. PM me and I'll give you my details.

Islandoftiki

It was a flurry of activity at the Kohala house this past weekend. Mostly yard work and cleaning up all of the trees and shrubs that died when the irrigation was shut off years ago.

This wax leaf ficus shrub was overgrown and blocking our view when sitting on the lanai...

20150104_121901_zpslnmucugm.jpg

And after half a day of pruning and chain sawing, we got it down to a reasonable height and will let it grow in. Now we need to lop off that mesquite tree in the background.

20150104_164731_zps9g0182pl.jpg

So many dead trees...

20150104_164700_zps4veyambh.jpg

They started piling up into a mountain of debris.

20150104_164649_zpsavgjikee.jpg

Between Pamela and I, we managed to create three massive 6 foot high 15 foot diameter piles, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. We have professionals coming in to do the big stuff... like 30 foot high dead trees. Three of them.

20150104_164607_zpsamhbrn56.jpg

I'll tell you this. I'm going to lose that 10 lbs I was hoping to get rid of.

• Like 5

I absolutely love this thread and look forward to your updates with photos. Keep it coming with news of the house, the islands, and of course a build thread somewhere down the road after you guys are settled in.

This is like watching a friends travelogue and ocean adventures all rolled into one.. AVIATOR300

• Like 2

Ok folks, the renovations are well underway at the new house. Most of the demolition is completed and construction has already started.

For us, this past weekend's project was to remove all of the carpeting from the garage. Well, the carpeting, the mouse poop, the cockroaches and about 20 million spiders.

20150111_161633_zpslpshlitq.jpg

20150111_172630_zps7r4sfgha.jpg

If you think crossfit is a good workout, try removing this much carpet and carpet padding and throwing it all in a 7 foot high dumpster.

I found this jacket in the back room of the garage. It says, dry clean only. I'm thinking burn it...

20150111_165346_zpsh3f1koqx.jpg

Today, the landscape crew came to start work on trimming back all of the overgrown and dead trees... many dead trees. The irrigation was shut off years ago and this area is a desert environment.

20150111_171459_zpspuxvhseu.jpg

It's not autumn... this one is dead.

20150111_171506_zpsnbnx5xj1.jpg

This ridiculous commercial range hood that some idiot installed in the kitchen was so stupidly huge that it nearly sucked my fiance in when we turned it on! It's getting taken down and replaced with a normal range hood.

20150111_174526_zpscybmgaoa.jpg

I'm going to try to get a video of everything this coming weekend. Much has been happening!

This place has to be inhabitable by the 15th of February. The owner of the place we're renting is going to sell and has given us 45 days notice to vacate.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Hard to tell what kind of shape that hood is in from the picture but those things are pretty pricy, ($1k+) you could probably sell it for a fat stack of cash. I'd personally be tempted to keep it and re use it for an outdoor kitchen. also, I've heard that firewood is super expensive on the island so you might want to stack some of those dead trees in case you ever want to have a fire pit.

Super Jealous man, your living the dream. Keep us posted.

This past weekend I took some visiting friends to the Kapoho tide pools on the other side of the island. Now, when you think of tide pools, you rarely think of ones that are large enough to snorkel in, but here you go... it is a magical place. Bonus points for identifying as many species of fish and coral as possible!

And there's been a flurry of activity at the house in Kohala. I did a tour video for friends and family that you may also enjoy...

Enjoy and stay tuned for more exciting adventures!

• Like 5
Mr. Microscope

So much fun! That tidepool video was really cool. Did you notice any LPS in the tidepool? I only saw montis.

Your house is coming along well! Thank you for sharing. It's really exciting to see you living out your dreams.