SaltCritters.com

Islandoftiki's Hawaiian adventure!

Islandoftiki

Keep up the updates! ... makes a nice change to read up on your adventures rather than focus on the 2 straight weeks of fall-temp drizzle we've been dealing with here.

How about this picture from this morning... Worst. Sunrise. Ever. Amiright?

20151110_061624_zpswsk5p2dt.jpg

That's Mauna Kea on the left; it's the one that has all of the observatories on it. And Mauna Loa on the right. Mauna Loa is the largest subaerial and second largest overall volcano in the world. From seafloor to summit, it's taller than Mt. Everest.

• Like 6

So, here's the updated pictures of the ohana renal unit in it's final form. These pictures were taken last Sunday after we had our first renters. New renters coming tomorrow! And more a couple days later!

hdr_00052_1_zps7t1gndji.jpg

hdr_00053_1_zpsza343mjm.jpg

hdr_00054_1_zpsi04j3boi.jpg

hdr_00055_0_zpsoonizeed.jpg

hdr_00056_0_zps0pytnqr2.jpg

hdr_00057_1_zpsiavvjp9y.jpg

And here's a little sunset action for you...

hdr_00059_1_zpstqdv0x5r.jpg

So, the other day, this rolled into the shop. And, yes, it's an authentic real one. Slope-nose 911 Porsche. This is a very rare bird that was the subject of many 1980's pinup posters. If you were a teenager in the '80s, you probably had a poster of this car on your wall... next to a poster of a Lamborghini Countach and a Ferrari Testarossa.

2015-11-11%2015.26.51_zpsuadgqjzk.jpg

20151111_151142_zpscv2huxyg.jpg

And... The chickens are going wild! Five eggs in one day. No less than three so far.

20151112_180449_zpsn6siwpym.jpg

There was/is a fire up the road from us. I'm hoping it's out by now. The last brush fire we had here got pretty scary.

http://bigislandnow.com/2015/11/13/vehicle-crash-fire-fire-closes-kawaihae-road/

So, that's all of the excitement and fun for now. Stay tuned! The weekend is here!

• Like 8

That's it! One day, when I have money for a trip I'm coming over! I'll bring my snorkel equipment and love of omelets!!

I'll happily extend half-price accommodations (about $60/night) for any nano-reefer in the off season (Summer) since we're pretty well booked up through the winter already. If anybody is interested, this is a really inexpensive high-end rental for Hawaii: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8537732 or Contact me personally if you want to visit. I promise amazing cocktails on the lanai and plenty of fish talk while you're here.

• Like 6

That's it! One day, when I have money for a trip I'm coming over! I'll bring my snorkel equipment and love of omelets!!

I already told my husband and showed him pictures... told him we should save up :P

• Like 2

I'm in my own process of moving to a townhome 12/18- 12/31, only 2 miles away, but difference from rent to mortgage saves me $100 or so, I'll have to save up. I definitely want to go. I've never been.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

You're living the dream man.

I'm preparing to build out a guest house to use partly as an Airbnb rental as well. It's a 400sqft space, formerly a detached masonry garage. I've been working with an architect friend to design it together, he's really into building 'tiny homes' so he has lots of space saving design ideas. I talked my neighbors into listing their small guest house on Airbnb a few months ago and they've been booked solid ever since. It's already paying their mortgage, in fact.

Your guest house turned out great, its really bright and the high ceilings make it feel even larger. I use Airbnb often when I travel, yours looks like a perfect rental.

• Like 2

That is just sooooo sweet! I've always wanted to do a tree house, just the one room like yours, for rental. That would pay for trips/travel. I think it would be rented a lot also, even though we are just out in Central Texas hill country. We have 6 resident Gray fox we feed every morning, they would love that and all the deer passing underneath. And we could connect to our septic system on the side of the yard the largest Oak is on.

We watch Tree House Masters and Cedar Kings a lot.

We will be able to visit in 2017. We have 2 cruises scheduled 2016 and then we can come out again....this time just stay with you guys for a week!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Pamela finally got her custom designed Wonder Woman decals for her Mini! We spent several hours getting them properly aligned and applied. They look spectacular. Of course, she had to break out the costume for the photos!

Mini%2004_zpsuxmyku9b.jpg

Mini%2005_zpsvvcoiebe.jpg

Mini%2002_zps04rc6mb7.jpg

Mini%2003_zpsfcleyvpg.jpg

Mini%2006_zpsekpyttmo.jpg

Oh yeah, and before the Thanksgiving holiday, we got to use our new kayaks for the first time! They were awesome! Sorry for the potato quality pictures, my phone was in a plastic bag.

20151122_145158_zpskmxvcnf4.jpg

20151122_145219_zpswgybjoch.jpg

20151122_145223_zps2adnvm06.jpg

• Like 10
  • 2 weeks later...

800 Christmas lights up! 200 more to go on the ohana building this weekend.

hdr_00002_1_zpsybipvj8c.jpg

And, this is a new one to me. I didn't know aloe plants had flowers. Many of you probably don't know this either. It apparently takes special circumstances to get them to show their goods. Here's what aloe flowers look like:

2015-12-13%2013.52.51_zpskzfi5s31.jpg

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Wow, your living the dream. Love how the ohana turned out and man that scenery is killer. Can't wait to see a tank up and running. Now I've just got to convince my mom that a trip to Hawaii is what we want to do next year :)

• Like 1

Just looks so peaceful and lovely. Thank You for that! 66 here in Western N.C. raining, sticky, had the patio door and window open but just too humid so I closed them. Don't need the heat. Unseasonably warm here. And my family & I celebrate on Christmas Eve per Polish tradition so I stayed home here, except for going to IHOP for some banana topped crepes with Nutella and coffee. Just moving some boxes into the garage for my closing soon. Moving 1.5 miles away and I as given approval for early occupancy on the 30th they think, if the disclosure statement comes from the USDA for my loan and due to the holidays the closing would be like Mon 1/4. Moving along. Getting there.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Must be busy with renters and gathering eggs and watching the tidal pools and being mindful of volcanoes. Yes, would love an update!

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

I apologize, I am delinquent in updating this thread. I will try to get everyone up to speed by the end of this week. AND... I have a GoPro camera on the way, so expect some awesome updates soon.

• Like 3

I apologize, I am delinquent in updating this thread. I will try to get everyone up to speed by the end of this week. AND... I have a GoPro camera on the way, so expect some awesome updates soon.

It's good to learn you're still with us. We were beginning to think that you might have been abducted by a roving band of Taliban warriors. If that had happened it probably would have turned out like "The ransom of Red Chief". Hahah

• Like 1