Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Questions before I buy the Glass.

fishstick41

I finally figured out the size of the tank I want. its going to be a 30" x 30" x 14" it should be a ~50 Gallon tank. But because I'm going rimless I plan on using 3/8 inch glass. Will 3/8 inch glass be enough to hold ~50 gallons of water?

I finally figured out the size of the tank I want. its going to be a 30" x 30" x 14" it should be a ~50 Gallon tank. But because I'm going rimless I plan on using 3/8 inch glass. Will 3/8 inch glass be enough to hold ~50 gallons of water?

not entirely sure what the pressure is at 14 inch height prolly 13 inches of water but my 18" height tank uses 10mm glass

Id suggest checking out some tank manufacturers that make a similar depth over a similar span to judge it.

I kind of want to make this tank shallow. but you're saying since the height is low the down pressure will make the base break?

nono i mean the depth of the tank usually determines glass thickness in aquariums less than 3 ft. im sayin my 50gal with 18 inch depth needs thicker glass than a 50 with 14.

you should probably find comparable depth aquariums to compare if you dont want to pay too much for an unnecessary glass thickness

I'd say he would be fine with 3/8 inch if your aquarium uses 10mm. 10mm is only slightly thicker. My only thing is if this is your first time building a tank, I'd try something smaller before I go to a 50 gal. Thats a lot of water to go all over the floor if your seams aren't perfect.

Oh yeah, when I ask to Drill holes into the glass what is the preferred place to drill? 4 inches away from the end of the glass? I plan on using 1 inch PVC as the pipe going to the sump and 3/4 inch as the return. The return pump is going to be a Mag MD9.5 so I should have about 800 going into the tank.

Oh yeah, when I ask to Drill holes into the glass what is the preferred place to drill? 4 inches away from the end of the glass? I plan on using 1 inch PVC as the pipe going to the sump and 3/4 inch as the return. The return pump is going to be a Mag MD9.5 so I should have about 800 going into the tank.

1 inch ID isn't going to get 800 gph gravity fed, takes 1.17 minimum to get that so you will either have to dial back the pump or drill for a larger bulkhead.

Also I am assuming this is a standard type glass-holes overflow on the side of the tank?

edit: That is for a herbie style overflow though you would never see that kind of performance with a gravity fed no siphon effect overflow. you are looking at probably 300-400ish gph overflow limit on a 1inch.

ill look into it. if i do a Herbie overflow ill have to make one myself i rather not have a hanging one.

do you know anywhere that I can find how to make one?

dose anyone else have a input about an overflow?

Archived