Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rebuilding a diy, questions

Skuba

I have a aqueon 8 as my display fuge but its more like macro tank/pico now since I've thrown some zoas, Xenia and a sunburst BTA in.

Currently I have a 6" makers sink with 3 RB, 3 CW, 3WW, 1 OCW. The look of the spectrum looks awesome and most people think its a halide at first glance.

Since its about 2 years old and there's better LEDs out now in thinking of refurbing it and adding some uv.

Any suggestions on a layout that will keep the nice natural look but provide a spectrum to grow macros and keep my nem happy?

jedimasterben

If you've got it set up and you like how it looks now, then I don't think I would change anything. If you just want to tinker with it (which, hey, I don't blame ya, I love to tinker with mine :) ), then I would buy a few Rebel ES lime and LEDgroupbuy 430nm violets and start mixing and matching and see if you can find a different combo that works.

For an 8g tank you've probably already got plenty enough light, so I'd be cautious adding any more than what you have.

If you've got it set up and you like how it looks now, then I don't think I would change anything. If you just want to tinker with it (which, hey, I don't blame ya, I love to tinker with mine :) ), then I would buy a few Rebel ES lime and LEDgroupbuy 430nm violets and start mixing and matching and see if you can find a different combo that works.

For an 8g tank you've probably already got plenty enough light, so I'd be cautious adding any more than what you have.

You see rite through me lol. I just like to tinker. Plus I have them all on one driver dialed down around 500ma bc of the ocw. So I planned on adding another driver anyway. Since the LEDs are the cheap part I figured y not redo my cluster with some newer better quality LEDs
jedimasterben

What LEDs are in it now? If they're Cree, then things really haven't moved forward much on their end, the XT-E are still in use, and the XP-G2 are only slightly more efficient with white (royal blue there is nothing newer).

I prefer the color from Philips LEDs to Cree, so they are worth looking into :)

What LEDs are in it now? If they're Cree, then things really haven't moved forward much on their end, the XT-E are still in use, and the XP-G2 are only slightly more efficient with white (royal blue there is nothing newer).

I prefer the color from Philips LEDs to Cree, so they are worth looking into :)

I have to look into which model but they are all cree and ocw from led group buy.

I was thinking maybe even the limes could take place of the cool whites since they brighten things up. Or would the warm whites still be reddish looking. I'm not opposed to adding to my existing cluster with uv and lime and just separating some channels to tweak it. But I figure what's another 50$ maybe on new LEDs while I got the soldering gun out anyway. BTW this is the tank. Don't mind the old pic and the fact it wasn't pruned for the shot but its only pic I have at the moment.

CD465EC5-F84B-4296-9619-F26F8B53FA51_zps

jedimasterben

But I figure what's another 50$ maybe on new LEDs while I got the soldering gun out anyway.

Now that's what I'm talkin about! :lol:

If you're thinking a full overhaul, then I'd recommend the following:

2x 4000K Rebel ES

4x RB Rebel ES

2x lime Rebel ES

Either keep the OCW you have or get a new one with Rebels

2x hyper violet

2x 4000K Rebel ES

4x RB Rebel ES

2x lime Rebel ES

2x hyper violet

Overhaul it is lol. The ocw and hv you reccomend Steve's or any other in particular?
jedimasterben

Now that Steve's is using genuine SemiLEDs for violets they are good to use, but the LEDgroupbuy hyper violet is still a chip that can't really be matched, has a very wide spectrum and almost a watt of radiometric output.

Now that Steve's is using genuine SemiLEDs for violets they are good to use, but the LEDgroupbuy hyper violet is still a chip that can't really be matched, has a very wide spectrum and almost a watt of radiometric output.

How about ocw?

While I got you dumping knowledge, I got a xr15w pro over a 18x20. Really wanted to retro a t5 with it for any shadow areas. Is there any 18" bulbs worth even considering?

The OCW will be similar from either place.No, no T5 that are less than 24" that are worth purchasing.

Guess ill go with my other plan and try angling the fixture to minimize shadows. Really wanna upgrade tanks but this ones establishing itself so well it's a shame to tear it down.

The OCW will be similar from either place.No, no T5 that are less than 24" that are worth purchasing.

Any reccomendations on where to order the rest from

2x 4000K Rebel ES

4x RB Rebel ES

2x lime Rebel ES

2x hyper violet

Seems like the same layout as Dave's 13ups. I guess one of those is a option as well? But maybe on a tank with macros I'm better suited having independent control of colors?
jedimasterben

Macros really don't care too much as long as they just get enough light. Dave's pucks will also significantly diminish color banding, so that's another plus for them lol

Macros really don't care too much as long as they just get enough light. Dave's pucks will also significantly diminish color banding, so that's another plus for them lol

One thing I've noticed on my current setup is blending is great. with the makers sink having the clear diffuser maybe or just the tightness of the cluster.

Archived