Coral Vue Hydros

How I got rid of a Eunice (Bobbit) worm

MadiMac

I bought my husband a 14 gallon Bio cube for his birthday. Oh the joy it brings… but also the work! We have had our fair share of "what is that… Google that" research, research, research. I love sitting at night with a red light and watching the tank. It amazes me what goes on in there. I noticed this worm in my tank about 2 weeks ago. I tried to identify him but sometimes that can be so hard. I thought maybe he was a bristle worm, i decided to let him be and keep an eye on him. I started to notice him more and more. He started picking up sand shells and blocking off holes in the rock, then i saw antennas WTF. I googled some more and learned it was a Bobbit worm. Theses guys can be no good. I watched him some more the next couple days while reading and reading forms and trying to figure out the best way to rid him from my tank. i noticed he was chomping away at my Zoanthids and i decided enough was enough. I tried to coral dip the rock again… got a couple small bristle worms and one large one but no Bobbit. Then i tried chiseling the rock, figured he would be inside. That didn't work either. No more playing around. I had read that club soda worked so i figured i would give that a try (didn't have any club soda but i have tons of tonic) poured just enough tonic water to cover all the rock on the sides but not touch the zoanthids on top. The bobbit worm literally jumped out of the rock like it was fire in mere seconds after the tonic water covered the rock sides. If you have one in your tank i wish you the best of luck!

post-85682-0-21699200-1410150032_thumb.jpg

post-85682-0-46318700-1410150049_thumb.jpg

I don't have any closer pics :( all i had at the time was my phone. But i know for a fact it was eating my zoas. I sat there with a red light and watched him take bite after bite (crazy to watch!!!!) I stuck a kabob stick near his hole and he would lash out at it. I know he was small in sized compared to how big they can get, he was only 1 1/2 inches long.

Dr.Brain Coral

I don't have any closer pics :( all i had at the time was my phone. But i know for a fact it was eating my zoas. I sat there with a red light and watched him take bite after bite (crazy to watch!!!!) I stuck a kabob stick near his hole and he would lash out at it. I know he was small in sized compared to how big they can get, he was only 1 1/2 inches long.

That is awesome!! Well not the zoa eating part but the kabob stick haha

Archived