Pod Your Reef

Blue sps

atrox

It all depends on the particular species. Med-bright lighting and medium-high flow for most acros, Oregon tort tends to be a slow grower. Cali tort, blue tenuis, blue echinata, various blue staghorns etc. tend to be faster growers. As a general rule I would avoid any blue hoeksemai as they tend to be a bit more delicate unless you are fairly experienced with sps. Also captive grown frags will tend to grow faster and be hardier in general. Hope that helps!

Go with an ORA blue acropora species. They have a lot of blue species if you find a vendor with what you want. One of my personal favorites is the borealis. Has a bit of green in it.

I got a two different pieces of free blue acro and they have been really easy to care for and are growing steadily. I lost some birdsnest in an alk swing but the acro's never batted an eye.

Nice thanks for the replies! It's true what they say about sps once you start you can't stop.

SPS species are in general the most difficult to keep successfully so when you do find success in keeping them it is indeed more rewarding.

Pick what you like - if you give it the proper requirements it'll grow fast once it is established. Most torts are pretty tough and will take a beating and tenuis are tough too. "Fast Growing" is a relative term and will be totally dependent on your tank, conditions, and available food. Identical frags cut from the same colony can grow 3-4x faster in one tank compared to another due to available food alone - not to mention having it in a proper spot, stable conditions, and the required lighting. In fact, just being in different spots in the same tank will effect growth a lot.

Just be prepared to move the acro about in the tank if the spot you choose isn't to it's liking.

SPS species are in general the most difficult to keep successfully so when you do find success in keeping them it is indeed more rewarding.

Meh - some acros are tough and baffling from time to time, but I have much more trouble keeping sensitive zoas and chalices in general. I think they are more rewarding because of how insanely fast they grow and how loudly they will tell you when you do something they don't like - changing color, PE, and growth nearly instantly.

Meh - some acros are tough and baffling from time to time, but I have much more trouble keeping sensitive zoas and chalices in general. I think they are more rewarding because of how insanely fast they grow and how loudly they will tell you when you do something they don't like - changing color, PE, and growth nearly instantly.

That goes to show how different individual tanks can be. I have far less trouble with my chalices and zoas than finding the happy spot for my sps. :)

Archived