Innovative Marine Aquariums

Getting spouse interested in the hobby

hey

If you have a lonely reefing household, just have a kid or two...

I don't know of any kids that don't like fish tanks. My 9 year old daughter is like a fish and coral encyclopedia at this point.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm being completely honest too. ha!

glad it gave you a laugh. and i love those

mandarins too! but i think my new 8g is too small. =(

Oohhh................beautiful tank! The LFS where I got my Mandarin has kept them in 12 gallon tanks.

But, I think it was the only fish in there.

Where did you get your rock flower anenome?

David

Of you have a lonely reefing household, just have a kid or two...

I don't know of any kids that don't like fish tanks. My 9 year old daughter is like a fish and coral encyclopedia at this point.

True, quite true. My 7 year old son is really into the tank as well.

Most of his classmates like aquariums too.

Of you have a lonely reefing household, just have a kid or two...

+1 my 3.5 yr old and 10 month old both enjoy the tanks :)

Over the last 10 years I have managed to get all 3 of my girlfriends (including my most recent) into the aquarium or reptile hobby. One of my exes still keeps her 20 gallon anemone tank even after we split up.

So what you are saying is you should hook up some single reefers with your ex's in exchange for corals ofc.

Oohhh................beautiful tank! The LFS where I got my Mandarin has kept them in 12 gallon tanks.

But, I think it was the only fish in there.

thank you!

if you mean my sig foto, that's my pico 3g

that took a real beating when i recently left

it with my LFS to babysit in august for two weeks.

they have no AC and i suspect temps reached too high.

my blue cloves melted, and my mushrooms are transperant,

and my gsp are shorter and anemic. =( very sad. but at

least they are alive.

i'm upgrading to an 8g cadlights and one reason is i'd

love to get a rock flower anemone!

Yes, the sig photo. I thought the coral on the right was a RFA? My eyes are going bad, LOL!

Have you checked out the RFA thread that Mirya started? They did a group buy in July and are talking about doing another one around Thanksgiving.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/342744-rock-flower-anemone-information-and-appreciation-thread/page-11

I picked up two in July and they are doing well.

Hopefully I can post photos of them and start a tank thread soon. Still trying to figure out my wife's camera?!

David

My wife had zero interest in any of my tanks up until I had a semi-crash a couple of years ago. We had an extended power outage and lost most of the fish in the tank. I was at work at the time and walked her through what needed to be done to save the remaining fish. She pulled it off but felt really bad about the fish that didn't make it. She said she never realized how much she enjoyed the tank until there was a major problem and it was essentially gone. That said, she's also the main reason why set up a display tank again. I've got plenty of tanks, fish, and corals to keep me occupied, but she insisted on having a tank in the living room again :).

Brewing beer is "my" thing. My wife appears to be interested in the new setup so we will see.. She is excited to get fish and coral once the cycle is over so it's a start. I've been trying to find something we can enjoy together. Hoping this is the one that sticks. Other than that, I'd have to take up reading...

I took my old one down before i got married due to moving around so much. Feels good to get back at it. Stuff got so much more expensive since I started... Trying to keep the start up costs a secret.

My wife is the reason I don't have a tank at the moment. There, I said it. I feel better now.

(Great thread, I thought I was the only person that had to deal with a non supportive spouse when it comes to this hobby)

So what you are saying is you should hook up some single reefers with your ex's in exchange for corals ofc.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying... :blink:

:P

My girl friend likes my reef tank and likes to look in and see what's going on, but her thing is freshwater. She likes breeding guppies and has adopted one of my planted tanks for it. Going to the LFS, she goes to the freshwater section and I go to the corals. She also goes to frag swaps with me just because its fun to see all the interesting corals for sale. She might mention if there is a coral that looks cool that I should buy until I tell her the cost of it. That's the only thing she doesn't like. My excessive spending which I have cut back on. We have our separate hobbies that we share with each other which is nice, but when it comes to engaging in the hobbies, we do it on our own. Otherwise it wouldn't be our own hobbies.

NirvanaandTool

My wife enjoys the tanks but wants no part in the planning/stocking/maintenance, etc. Fine by me, I enjoy working on the tank on my own. Her one request of the 90 was "some pretty swimming fish and not all lazy predators". :lol:

Archived