ReefCleaners.org

Getting spouse interested in the hobby

hey

My girlfriend loves when I'm passionate about anything, including my reef tank. We both love the beach and ocean. We live very close to the shore, and behind her house is an inlet with boats and docks. It's a beautiful bay area! She begged me for my freshwater setup (not planted) and I obliged, since I was getting tired of caring for two tanks :) She agrees with me when I say that my reef is a living work of art... I couldn't imagine life without my tank. We've already been to two aquariums in the area (Atlantic City and Camden.) She's a photographer and loved the opportunity to take pictures of the incredible creatures we saw. I'm hopelessly in love with her... I also sing, play guitar and drums, and many other instruments. She likes that passion too ;) haha

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My girlfriend loves when I'm passionate about anything, including my reef tank. We both love the beach and ocean. We live very close to the shore, and behind her house is an inlet with boats and docks. It's a beautiful bay area! She begged me for my freshwater setup (not planted) and I obliged, since I was getting tired of caring for two tanks :) She agrees with me when I say that my reef is a living work of art... I couldn't imagine life without my tank. We've already been to two aquariums in the area (Atlantic City and Camden.) She's a photographer and loved the opportunity to take pictures of the incredible creatures we saw. I'm hopelessly in love with her... I also sing, play guitar and drums, and many other instruments. She likes that passion too ;) haha

better start saving money for a wedding ring soon =).

I don't really mind that my wife doesn't care about the tank anymore.

My 4 year old daughter really loves it tho, she helps me out when doing maintenance or feeding the tank, etc.

So it has become a father-daughter thing and I think my wife knows that so she tries to not get involved.

My wife and I also have our little hobby (Otakus). And she has a hobby I don't get involved.

And I'm ok with that. :)

My wife used to hate it when I tried to hide how much stuff costs (dumb when she has just as much access to the bank statements as I do lol), but has come around HUGE, to the point where she told me "if you want your 180 in the wall you should do it this week while your off).... a day after we came home from the hospital with our 1st son.... It doesn't hurt that our boys both like the tanks either I am sure. She shows more interest in the fish and has mentioned setting up dual massive tanks, a reef for me and a FOWLR for her whenever we have the room for two 300-500g tanks LOL

I just placed an order for a 48"x30"x24" 3 side starphire tank from Miracles, and am working on an even bigger multi system set up right now as well...... She knows I have a problem, and doesn't mind :)

NorthGaHillbilly

My wife is cominig around, but still generally thinks its a waste of $. That being said, of all the hobbys Ive had its the one that keeps me home more, going fishing 30 hours a week was alittle less than optimal for her. Shes got control of the fish in the tank, ive got a veto but no other vote, and has started picking out a coral every now and again, so thats progress.

My wife likes the tanks. When we first got together she had some sand, tank and filter and was going to set a SW tank up, until I told her the cost and how to take care of every thing. Now she just enjoys looking at my tanks. But we've went though a few tank crashes so she is kinda pessimistic about the tanks I have. When things are going good she is happy. She doesnt care for learning stuff but has picked up a few things over the years. She isnt the type of person to have really invovled hobbies so she would never have her own tank.

I did get scolded yesterday about salt crusties being on the stand and entertainment center. Whoops... Oh and buckets, I aways get it for buckets. Six tanks in the living room takes a bit of time to do water changes. Not a fan of the HOB skimmer either. All of our outlets have been taken over by my tanks so around holidays it's tough to find spots for holiday lights.

GL with that. My wife hates my tank and only tolerates it because I let her buy shoes and nail polish.

Yep my wife is definitely tolerant at most. She liked the clowns when I first got them, but she wants nothing to do with the tanks. She thinks I should be doing other things when it's maintenance day, and views the fish as just another mouth to feed.

My girlfriend thinks my tank is awesome. She loves to feed things and see the responses. When I had my clowns she was a HUGE fan of hand feeding them, she thought it was the coolest thing ever and she's asked me a few times about setting a tank up in her room at her house. She also got me hooked on SPS, by picking out an awesome frag of Birdsnest for me. I now have a second frag of another variety.

She stays a girlfriend for now though because who can afford a ring when they have a reef?:)

When I started this hobby my parents and friends were totally against this 'waste of money'. After seeing the result, and letting my parents pick out a few pieces/livestock that they liked I have won them over. Sometimes I come home to my mother watching the tank intently as she teases the clown fish with food. She also feeds the tank for me sometimes before i get home from work becasue she feels sorry for them haha.

I wanted a saltwater tank since I was a kid. My family had freshwater tanks that I always found boring and not as colorful.

I started dating my BF before I knew he had a saltwater tank, but was super excited when I found out he had one and also services them for a living!!

I got his help and advice in setting up my tank. Sometimes though, he gets a little burnt out on tank stuff, which I can understand. He calls me crazy when I worry about every little thing in my tank, but that's just cause everything is crazy and new to me!

My fiancé started out hating it. She now loves feeding them, and will sit and stare at it with me but she hates how much I spend and rarely cares to go to the fish store. If there not into it don't force them or they will learn to hate it. If you let them do what they enjoy they might eventually come around. If not find something else to do with them and keep the reef for yourself! :)

I greatly enjoy my husbands tank! I pretty much took it over…. so much i made a profile on here before him. I love watching it at night and discovering things i haven't seen before, it is almost magical to watch. Feeding time is also a fav of mine, watching the coral eat is a total trip. Let your wife/ gf pick out a couple things of her own to put in your tank. Educate her on what she picked and hopefully she will grow to like it! Show her the fun side of a tank not how to do a water change!

My husband thinks its cool looking and likes to feed the fish but also says it is a waste of money. I think he would be more receptive if it didn't cost so much. He puts up with it cuz he knows I love it, plus he has to. :P

He does come with me to the LFS and frag swaps (I bait him with food).

I bought my peacock mantis shrimp and a mandarin dragonet after he showed interest in them and started a SPS tank because he only likes neon colored corals. Maybe once it grows in, I can get him hooked. I now mostly just try and buy things I know he'll like.

My wife used to hate it when I tried to hide how much stuff costs (dumb when she has just as much access to the bank statements as I do lol), but has come around HUGE, to the point where she told me "if you want your 180 in the wall you should do it this week while your off).... a day after we came home from the hospital with our 1st son.... It doesn't hurt that our boys both like the tanks either I am sure. She shows more interest in the fish and has mentioned setting up dual massive tanks, a reef for me and a FOWLR for her whenever we have the room for two 300-500g tanks LOL

I just placed an order for a 48"x30"x24" 3 side starphire tank from Miracles, and am working on an even bigger multi system set up right now as well...... She knows I have a problem, and doesn't mind :)

This is pretty much how it goes for me too. She tolerates it mostly and hates the money I spend on it, but realizes she will have to live with it, so might as well make an effort to make it less painful... Funny story about the week your son was born. We scheduled my new (2nd)tank to be delivered the day after my 2nd son's scheduled induction this Wednesday... Just as you put it, she knows I have a problem and doesn't mind!

Polarcollision

I took Tim to aquarium stores and tide pools. When he showed interest in the PJ cardinal, I got it for him and encouraged him to name it. Now that he has ownership in my reef, he's cool with reasonable expenses. He never knew all the cool things in tide pools. That's what finally hooked him into buying a cold water setup. He'll never be the guy who tests the water and all the stuff that goes into it, but at least he loves having it in the home and sometimes tries to talk me into a small one for the bedroom.

This is pretty much how it goes for me too. She tolerates it mostly and hates the money I spend on it, but realizes she will have to live with it, so might as well make an effort to make it less painful... Funny story about the week your son was born. We scheduled my new (2nd)tank to be delivered the day after my 2nd son's scheduled induction this Wednesday... Just as you put it, she knows I have a problem and doesn't mind!

Thats awesome! Congrats on both the 2nd son, and the 2nd tank :)

Pretty sure the way she sees it is I could be addicted to far worse and really far more expensive things. Yes reef goodies aren't cheap, but I could have a german car collection instead LOL

My GF loves animals even more than I do so when I mentioned setting up up my old freshwater tank when I moved in with her a few years ago she agreed immediately, on the condition all maintenance work is for me.

She enjoyes watching the fish in there and can spend a lot of time just staring at it (even tho it's just a simple guppy tank) and has over time become the decision maker on stocking it. I still get to maintain it, ofcourse.

This year she wanted to redo the kitchen so I said 'OK, if I get to upgrade the tank' but she countered with the argument I should get a second tank for the study area as I spend a lot of time there.

So I set up a SW pico and I've caught her just sitting and watching that a lot too, makes me wonder why I bought her a new TV last year really ;)

ofcourse it helps to know her tastes a bit so adding a green clown goby (was doubting between a yellow and green) and some green zoas lately surely helped to up her interest in it, green being her favorite color.

She also likes coming to the LFS with me because she enjoys watching the tanks, the only complaints so far have been about time spent (she didn't realise that smaller second tank would take 10x the maintenance) and the fact that I told her a 5G is too small for a clown upon which she stated 'You should have gotten a bigger tank then'.

I admit tho, I'm really lucky to have found a girl like that.

Come to think of it, her love and interest for animals was one of the reasons I set up that old FW again.

ChickenoftheC

My boyfriend thinks I spend too much time staring at our anniversary tank but he doesnt touch it unless I ask him to shove his arm in it to move something because I have perfume on my wrists. He does really enjoy picking corals with me though so its great to go to the lfs with him and we can share the hobby together. He gets really excited to see the live rock inhabitants :)

he, in turn, does marathons and triathlons for

a "hobby". no thanks. i think i'd rather give

birth again. :rolleyes:

Cindyp,

OMG that is so funny. I just burst out laughing!!

Lots of interesting posts on this thread but that one really got to me.

My wife does not hate my tank but is really not interested. There have two exceptions though. She told me that Mandarins are her favorite fish

So, I got one and he is doing great. The other exception was campaigning to save the Firefish. Both me and son were disappointed because he hid all the time. We were going to take back to the LFS. But, my wife is a social worker (therapist). Social workers always choose

the underdog or down trodden. She made us wait and sure enough the Firefish is coming out more.

he, in turn, does marathons and triathlons for a "hobby". no thanks. i think i'd rather give birth again. :rolleyes: Cindyp, OMG that is so funny. I just burst out laughing!!

i'm being completely honest too. ha!

glad it gave you a laugh. and i love those

mandarins too! but i think my new 8g is too small. =(

Over the last 10 years I have managed to get all 3 of my girlfriends (including my most recent) into the aquarium or reptile hobby. One of my exes still keeps her 20 gallon anemone tank even after we split up.

Archived