Cultivated Reef

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

Yeah, I think we get a little bit anti-algae heavy, and I am one of the worst. I always try to keep it simple stupid, but the tinkerer and the optimizer in me tries to keep fixing things to make the tank the best it can be. Really, I just need to leave it alone, but it's hard!

We finally finished the room up a bit more so I can actually go in there and sit and relax, read, watch the tank. I'll be spending more time in there now.

lol cleaning glass doesn't even come to mind with me until I actually can't see the fish lol
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so here is my little room now, not all of it but the important parts, lol.

c4HuPSE.jpg

New tank shot tonight with the nano box back in action and everything

HmiFlNZ.jpg

Lots of brown on the rocks, but the corals seem happy. Just gonna roll with it for now

Seems like a lot more light than the temp replacement you had, ramp it down maybe if the corals look like they're hurting.

The coral seem to be happy, but I was wondering about this anyways. I have my light set to 115 blue and 108 white, but I wasn't sure if that was power percentage (don't know how one could have 115% power)...

it's 115 out of 256, not 115%

If you want percentages, you go to "manual" or "sim". That changes the dimming equally on all channels and can be set to for example 50% light intensity.

Ahhhh, right. I knew it wasn't percentage but I had never tried to max out the controller/light. So I'm sitting at about 45% intensity per channel.

Cheers for the Ikea chair! I have a pair of the blond wood ones with black cushions. ;)

Seriously, the poang chairs are the best chairs ever. I love them. So comfy.

Update:

Tank is settling out. I have only been running SeaChem Matrix and the filter floss, plus the skimmer. The skimmer isn't really pulling anything, but I swapped out the old limewood airstone for some cheap ones from PetCo. I think the issue is that they are the smaller ones, so they may not be pushing as many bubbles into the tube as the larger ones would. Hermie and the CUC are doing well, it seems. Beyonce loves the green kenya tree now, and all the rics, shrooms, and watermelon zoas are doing great. The hammer looks good. The punk rocker zoas, or whatever they are, are pretty much closed all the time now. I have no idea how they are still alive, but they are still unhappy. Blergh. Palys are great. I think one of my rics is splitting at the mouth into 2! Diatoms are starting to recede from the rocks. Gorg's polyps are being all grabby and such, which is great. I also am seeing the pulsing xenia (can't see in the pictures) that I transferred from the pico starting to grow again and pulse. The others, the cespituleria, are doing better - they aren't as closed anymore and are starting to stretch back out and wave in the water flow.

I've been bad about water changes - i haven't done one in almost 2 weeks! I do feed every day or so with my food concoction. Everything seems to like it.

wZ1rIc8.jpg

71qxXQm.jpg

Seriously, the poang chairs are the best chairs ever. I love them. So comfy.

Yep. But they do wear out. Mine are like 12 years old and they're 6" lower than the new ones (I measured). I need to buy new ones someday.

If your skimmer isn't pulling anything, have you considered just running skimmerless? My 9g hasn't had a skimmer for a while and it's doing great. I do have a bunch of macros in it though, but I feed heavily and between them and the Purigen I have no detectable nutrients. I don't think the Purigen is doing much, since it ran a month without going dark. I recharged it finally anyway just to prevent bacteria buildup.

Beyonce loves the green kenya tree Nepthea now,

FTFY

I've been bad about water changes - i haven't done one in almost 2 weeks! I do feed every day or so with my food concoction. Everything seems to like it.

I would either incorporate a water change or feed every other day Doc. This is how you had a high nutrient spike in the first place which then you tried to fix by stripping the system completely of nutrients. Either add a water change or reduce the feedings.

FTFY

I would either incorporate a water change or feed every other day Doc. This is how you had a high nutrient spike in the first place which then you tried to fix by stripping the system completely of nutrients. Either add a water change or reduce the feedings.

Nephthea is a kenya tree ;)

As for the water change, I have plans to do one, but I haven't gotten a chance to do it. So far so good, but tonight I plan on doing one, about 2 gallons (~25%). Got everything ready to go.

Yep. But they do wear out. Mine are like 12 years old and they're 6" lower than the new ones (I measured). I need to buy new ones someday.

If your skimmer isn't pulling anything, have you considered just running skimmerless? My 9g hasn't had a skimmer for a while and it's doing great. I do have a bunch of macros in it though, but I feed heavily and between them and the Purigen I have no detectable nutrients. I don't think the Purigen is doing much, since it ran a month without going dark. I recharged it finally anyway just to prevent bacteria buildup.

I would go skimmerless but I really want it to actually WORK. I'm still fine tuning it on the tank because I think they do a lot for AIOs.

As for the chair, yes they do wear out. This one has gotten light use in the last 6 months or so since we've had it.

Kenya Tree is the Capnella sp. though sometimes referred to as Nepthya as a common name, probably just the green ones.

Nepthea is Nepthea, bright green and nearly extinct in the wild. Probably Nepthea erecta?

I have a bright green Nepthea in front of a common Kenya Tree. Similar, but you can tell the difference.

Looks like you have the same combination in nearly the same location as I do in my 29.

I really like the cube, looking good! :)

Kenya Tree is the Capnella sp. though sometimes referred to as Nepthya as a common name, probably just the green ones.

Nepthea is Nepthea, bright green and nearly extinct in the wild. Probably Nepthea erecta?

I have a bright green Nepthea in front of a common Kenya Tree. Similar, but you can tell the difference.

Looks like you have the same combination in nearly the same location as I do in my 29.

I really like the cube, looking good! :)

Nope. Nephthea is not the same as Kenya.

Kenya is Capnella sp. Nephthea is Nephthea sp.

Oh, Mark beat me to it

I see. Both are tree corals, one is kenya and the other is not, according to the Googs. They belong to the same family, the Neptheidae, but are different species.

Anyone know if the Tunze 9001 will fit in the rear chambers of the IM 10? Or if the Ghost skimmers are any good?

It should fit. its about 2.5" x 4". I havent been able to get my 9001 dialed in my 8 gallon. It seems to produce very wet skimmate

It should fit. its about 2.5" x 4". I havent been able to get my 9001 dialed in my 8 gallon. It seems to produce very wet skimmate

Hmmm, I'll have to measure exactly. Also, i don't want wet skimmate.

The Tunze is ~$35 cheaper than the Ghost Skimmer, and Tunze has a better reputation for skimmers than IM does... BUT, the IM 10 was designed to work with the Ghost desktop skimmer, so maybe it'd be worth it? I just see so many crap reviews full of microbubbles and incredibly wet skimmate regardless of fine tuning.

CronicReefer

Have you looked at the Red Sea Prizm? I'm not sure if a HOB is something you are interested in or not but it does have great price and good reviews. I use their Berlin 60 skimmer (uses an airstone) and am still impressed at how well it works.

Have you looked at the Red Sea Prizm? I'm not sure if a HOB is something you are interested in or not but it does have great price and good reviews. I use their Berlin 60 skimmer (uses an airstone) and am still impressed at how well it works.

I'm not opposed to an HOB skimmer, I was looking at the aquamaxx HOB-1. I'll look into the RS Prizm. Thanks for the idea.

The Tunze 9001 will not fit in the rear chambers of the IM 10. The 2nd chamber, the only real place that it would work, is too narrow. It's ~3.8" wide and 2.5" deep, but the Tunze 9001 is about 4" x 3". Womp womp.

I have a RS Prizm pro and it did alright on my reef tank. I found it inadequate for my seahorse tank but they are way dirtier than reef tanks.

615736.jpg

Goodmorning Doc :flower:

lol, morning kat. Still a tree coral, but not a kenya tree ;)

I have a RS Prizm pro and it did alright on my reef tank. I found it inadequate for my seahorse tank but they are way dirtier than reef tanks.

For the price point, I think I am going to go with a Ghost Desktop if I change from the PicO Skim 2.0

Tank is starting to look normal!

2GyRzIk.jpg

CT8hfpp.jpg

There is some small white hair/root-like strands showing up, though. They are hard to picture as they are all in areas my phone camera won't focus on (of course...) Kat says not to worry too much about it, that she doesn't think it's invasive, so that's good.

The hairs are there in the center of this picture

fKJZn6t.jpg

The roots are also here under the gorg/epoxy (sorry for the awful picture - they are really small and hard for the camera to focus on)

Z9i3H8l.jpg

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived