Cultivated Reef

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

Glad the job is working out Tibbs...hope it is all that you wanted it to be.

Have fun with the tank...struggling right now as I am still under weight restrictions from my back surgery. Both tanks are a mess really.

Hey Evan, how are you?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Evan, how are you?

Hey Kat! Thanks for the note.

Healing still and under activity restrictions. Nerve pain still problematic, but slowly improving.

My tanks sadly neglected. Can't really bend and stoop or carry car boys of water...

The ONLY AIO that's worth a damn are the red Sea tanks. I've heard nothing but complaints about others. I have a 12g Aqua pod that I'm playing with. It was going to be my red scooter blenny's house, but we couldn't find him anywhere yesterday. :( I see quite a few people modifying the CPR fuges to be the filtration systems.

Glad the job is working out Tibbs...hope it is all that you wanted it to be.

Have fun with the tank...struggling right now as I am still under weight restrictions from my back surgery. Both tanks are a mess really.

It's... different. Not being at a lab bench is really really hard. Also I am not sure I like the more computer-driven side of research. I am barely interacting with the science at all right now. I'm basically a paper pusher who is able to make some other decisions because I have an advanced science degree. I'm already looking for moves in the next couple of years.

Sorry to hear about your back. I hope you recover well and soon! Also sorry about your basketball team :(

The ONLY AIO that's worth a damn are the red Sea tanks. I've heard nothing but complaints about others. I have a 12g Aqua pod that I'm playing with. It was going to be my red scooter blenny's house, but we couldn't find him anywhere yesterday. :( I see quite a few people modifying the CPR fuges to be the filtration systems.

I started with an AP12! So many mods for that thing. I can give advice if you want it

Cubicle move day got bumped sooner than expected... Also some things may have "accidentally" gone missing from my for sale thread and they all are useful for a pico build... Mysterious... Maybe I WILL be setting up a desktop pico?

:happydance:

Patiently waiting :)

Took my wife to the LFS I go to around here, and she said "I think you should set up a tank in our son's room when he arrives. I think that would be really nice for him to grow up with." Mwahahahahaha

Ok - let's be critical of Tibbs right now and tell him everything he did wrong so that he doesn't make those mistakes again when this pico gets going...

Of the 2 tanks and one interim 10G I think, that I know you had, they both had flow problems, nutrient problems, you hated the rock work, it was all very frustrating for you.

At first the algae/diatoms were unstoppable.

To combat that you cleaned the tank too much so corals started getting upset.

Then the flow wasn't right and you changed a bunch of things around.

You're a worry wart and detail oriented, but I think it has to be balanced with the unknowns in the hobby such as a diatom bloom that wont go away.

Ordering CUC from reef cleaners is cost prohibitive for such a small tank so paying retail local prices might be better for a small CUC.

You had very little growth in all your tanks, maybe have been an imbalance of cal/alk I can't remember.

When you go in for a pico sized tank, again, you must keep into account that filtration is compromised due to a lower water volume. For this reason I would probably suggest a canister filter or oversized HOB aquaclear.

If you want to start with bare rock then it takes longer to seed, to color up and the bare feeling persists for a long time.

A zoa garden with a gorgonian or leather and a couple of gobies instead of clowns is probably my suggestion. For zoas I would go with bullet proof morphs like nuclear greens, watermelons, and such. You could also have just a "pieces of the reef" kind of rock and eliminate all aquascaping troubles altogether.

Of the 2 tanks and one interim 10G I think, that I know you had, they both had flow problems, nutrient problems, you hated the rock work, it was all very frustrating for you.

At first the algae/diatoms were unstoppable.

To combat that you cleaned the tank too much so corals started getting upset.

Then the flow wasn't right and you changed a bunch of things around.

You're a worry wart and detail oriented, but I think it has to be balanced with the unknowns in the hobby such as a diatom bloom that wont go away.

Ordering CUC from reef cleaners is cost prohibitive for such a small tank so paying retail local prices might be better for a small CUC.

You had very little growth in all your tanks, maybe have been an imbalance of cal/alk I can't remember.

When you go in for a pico sized tank, again, you must keep into account that filtration is compromised due to a lower water volume. For this reason I would probably suggest a canister filter or oversized HOB aquaclear.

If you want to start with bare rock then it takes longer to seed, to color up and the bare feeling persists for a long time.

A zoa garden with a gorgonian or leather and a couple of gobies instead of clowns is probably my suggestion. For zoas I would go with bullet proof morphs like nuclear greens, watermelons, and such. You could also have just a "pieces of the reef" kind of rock and eliminate all aquascaping troubles altogether.

I don't really remember anything. More flow, less touching it I'd say. :D

Perfection - music to my ears (eyes?)!

Kat - definitely flow and rockscape were 2 of my largest issues on my end of unhappiness, but I think you nailed my husbandry problems, too. My over-analysis and constant need to optimize everything, lack of patience and never leaving things alone is a problem. I'll need to keep these in mind as I move forward. I am going AC70 for my pico simply because I have one and I can take the whole thing off if it needs cleaning.

I definitely didn't have growth much, and I have never figured that out - feeding, cal/alk, not sure.

If I go CUC I'll likely pick up a couple of snails from a LFS simply because they are easier and I don't need hundreds of tiny little things. I'll get a few small, a few medium, and a larger snail (quarter sized). Fish will be a goby at most - no clowns or anything like that. Going cured live rock for this tank and possibly a piece-of-the-reef kind of option. Rockscaping is always a problem for me, but this time I would like to make it look nice.

Ben - Definitely less touching. There is a joke in there somewhere, too.

too many pages. so whats the deal, are you going to have another tank or not? are are you at emory now?

Yes and hopefully in the next week.

Not at Emory - became a corporate shill ;) Where are you at these days? What became of your pico?

industry. and it died. im gonna start a new one soon. corporate shill =$$$$

Wish this particular industry gig paid better but it is a start. You still in Cali? You doing the PicO 5 again?

yeah, got picked up by a local company. you should still be making $$$ in industry, at least in california. An industry postdoc is ~65 on the low end and 80 on the high. PhD scientists start at something like 80-100k.

the pico design proved to be stellar, especially when i needed to take extended vacations. but it suffered from neglect and im shutting it down for a move. It's going to be replaced by something even simpler. Dunno what I'm going to do with the pico though.

so you got a new tank or what? spill it

yeah, got picked up by a local company. you should still be making $$$ in industry, at least in california. An industry postdoc is ~65 on the low end and 80 on the high. PhD scientists start at something like 80-100k.

the pico design proved to be stellar, especially when i needed to take extended vacations. but it suffered from neglect and im shutting it down for a move. It's going to be replaced by something even simpler. Dunno what I'm going to do with the pico though.

so you got a new tank or what? spill it

Daaaaaamn, yeah industry in GA doesn't pay the Cali rates unfortunately. Much better than an academic postdoc but not 100k, not even close. On your scale I'm on the lower end of the industry postdoc. Sucks, but had to make the jump out of academia. Planning my next move for a year or so from now. This job is ok, but not particularly ideal.

Looking forward to your new setup!

No I don't have a new tank yet - I'm debating on which tank I actually want. Probably just a deep blue 12" cube but we'll see what I can dig up ;)

im fan of the 18x11x12 ADA tank. with sand and waterline, you can create a roughly 1:1.618 ratio tank. it's also wide enough to allow negative space and has enough depth for equipment. Not a big fan of cubes, most people don't do them right.but thats just my opinion

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived