ReefCleaners.org

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

THIS MANY :D

3830527685_762de6ba9d.jpg

Good call!

In all seriousness, I'm in a bit of a pickle. The diatom bloom is getting worse, I think it might be cyano. Hard to beat it back. I've slowed feeding to a few pellets or flakes every other day. Fish seems happy. Corals seem happy, but the gorg is probably toast. I glued everything down on the rocks, but left the gorg. Its tissue is sloughing off.

I think I may now have to swap to CPE and purigen or CP-blue. I don't think the carbon is enough on its own with the skimmer. The skimmer works, but because of the way the tank is designed and the water level, it doesn't work as well as it should.

My light has also started making a strange noise. Every week for the last 3 weeks, when I turn off the light and all the equipment for my weekly water change/tank clean, when I turn the light back on, the fan is REALLY loud. Like it's off track or something. I've found that turning the light upside down for a few seconds sometimes fixes it, but not always. I'll have to contact Dave to see what's up.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My light has also started making a strange noise. Every week for the last 3 weeks, when I turn off the light and all the equipment for my weekly water change/tank clean, when I turn the light back on, the fan is REALLY loud. Like it's off track or something. I've found that turning the light upside down for a few seconds sometimes fixes it, but not always. I'll have to contact Dave to see what's up.

Sounds like the fan to me, the tide on Emmas tank is doing the same thing. Gonna take it apart this weekend to clean it and try to find where it is rubbing. I've had hers apart before so it's probably something that I did.

The LFS is having a sale this weekend on yellow and blue tangs. I think I am going to get 2. Maybe 3.

Man, tangs are so 1984.... go with a baby humpback whale and a hammer head shark. TOTM in no time :)

jedimasterben

Cyanobacteria can be red-orange, red, blue, green, yellow, pretty much any color you can think of depending on what pigments it uses most efficiently ;)

The water/tank smells. I hope its diatoms and not cyano. Not hard to physically remove but a pia

Sounds like the fan to me, the tide on Emmas tank is doing the same thing. Gonna take it apart this weekend to clean it and try to find where it is rubbing. I've had hers apart before so it's probably something that I did.

I haven't messed with anything and I don't plan to

You can blow cyano away with a turkey baster. That's another clue.

From the picture on the previous page, it's diatoms. It is what will eventually get your dead rock to color up. Critters get overtaken by other critters, life overtakes other life. This is normal.

IMG_20111229_204103.jpg

Look how nasty that rock is.

This is that same rock today. (the bottom one)

20150102_115008.jpg

I have a suspicion it is likely diatoms (growing in the back where there is no light). I would like it to go away. Blech.

Guess I should arrange for a ReefCleaners order, huh?

Indeed! Get some nice little crabs and snails to clean that mess up for you :)

I'll order from John again. I will ask, as always, for no hermits, though. I do not like those little things. They have made my troubles worse rather than better. Kill too many snails.

I have a suspicion it is likely diatoms (growing in the back where there is no light). I would like it to go away. Blech.

Guess I should arrange for a ReefCleaners order, huh?

I thought you had a substantial CUC, no?

I should have asked for no hermits last time. I got half a dozen micros and they did indeed kill a bunch of snails. But I'm too softhearted to dispose of them and too lazy to catch them to go to the LFS :(

I thought you had a substantial CUC, no?

Perhaps. I have the sexy shrimp, porclain crab, and a couple of nassarius snails with one nerite left from the CUC from John. I picked up 2 bumblebee snails, an astrea snail and a stomatella snail from the LFS when I went there last. I have some small and medium ceriths, too from reefcleaners, but so far they aren't really doing much. I clean the glass weekly and the sandbed when I gravel vac. The rocks are covered in diatoms and the CUC seem largely uninterested.

I should have asked for no hermits last time. I got half a dozen micros and they did indeed kill a bunch of snails. But I'm too softhearted to dispose of them and too lazy to catch them to go to the LFS :(

I used to be this way, too, for them. But after they decimated my snails in my 12g, no more. I find them and get rid of them -preferrably to the LFS.

I'm a fan of crabs, it goes without saying that if you have crabs then some of your snails will end up biting the dust but I don't mind too much. They are just doing what they have always done, if my reef tank wants to act like a real reef, I have no beef with that. I can always buy more snails to let the cycle of life continue.

I'm a fan of crabs, it goes without saying that if you have crabs then some of your snails will end up biting the dust but I don't mind too much. They are just doing what they have always done, if my reef tank wants to act like a real reef, I have no beef with that. I can always buy more snails to let the cycle of life continue.

That's definitely true to some extent, but I find that the snails are better at cleaning overall and I want them to be able to do their job in peace. The crabs would be better suited in a tank that prefers them, like yours! So I try and keep them out of my tank and in tanks that want them :)

New fts this morning. Water change was crazy last night - very dirty, but I got the corals placed where I think they will do well. The gorg had 6 or 7 polyps opened up this morning so I've shifted the stick into the rock in the front turning the polyps towards the light. Here's hoping a recovery occurs soon.

Lru7Buk.jpg

That's great news on the gorg! I think the diatoms will go away in a few weeks once your clean up crew gets a chance to catch up and tank starts to mature a little bit. It looks like the standard bloom that always happens as part of the ugly new tank syndrome :)

• 2 weeks later...

Diatoms are still everywhere. I was at a conference this past weekend/early weekdays, and it went really well. I unfortunately didnt have much time for the tank. Diatoms are everywhere, still.

Gorg is doing much better, polyps really starting to show. I think I counted 10 last count?

On another note (I can't remember if I wrote this or not) but I've been doing a lot of digging on bacterial supplements for tanks again. I can't help it! I love microbes. If you recall, Brightwell gave me a bunch of BS answers about proprietary crap when I asked some simple science questions. There is a youtube video of the Microbacter7 by ReefDVMs looking at the contents of Microbacter7, and it seems like there is SOME validity in their claims. They did about as good as I could do, though they reached conclusions that I wouldn't go as far to say.

Dr. Tim was a bit condescending in his answer, but his points were valid. He actually engaged in a somewhat scientific explanation of his product. In addition, it turns out he has publicly available papers and patents on his products and the research that led to them. He has his PhD in microbiology (yippee!) and he came out of Ed DeLong's lab. That's HUGE. Ed DeLong is a very prominent scientist in the marine field. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences. I'm willing to give Dr. Tim's a shot again. I may even be convinced it's not some crazy gimmick. Sure he's trying to make money, but if I had the research findings he did with a passion for aquariums, I would have done/would do the same.

Dr Tim was the original inventor of Bio Spira and I know that works. I used to use it when it came in refrigerated packets for setting up freshwater. Algae on the glass by evening, no ammonia detected ever. I used it plus Seachem Prime (just in case) when I setup my 29 again (this time not refrigerated) and no issues, though I did use some rock from another tank.

So for what it's worth I think that product is solid and I'm guessing his other products are as well. At least as solid as you can get in this hobby.

I actually think I am going to recommend people with the rapid tissue necrosis, STN or whatever it's called, to use his Eco-balance product. That is often caused by Vibrio spp. in the wild, and his Eco-balance has strains of Bacillus that actively inhibit Vibrio. The data are on his site. Simple but elegant.

I wonder if his "Waste-away" would help with my diatom problem?

In the wild, tissue necrosis and bleaching in coral are often caused by various Vibrio species. There are many factors that lead to disease, but the bacterial infection is what is actually killing the coral.

I really want to try the Dr. Tim's stuff out on a small pico tank... Something like a JBJ 3g. I would LOVE to see how well the stuff works. I just need to try and find a cheap JBJ locally, lol

The only problem would be that it would all be anecdotal... I don't have the time or money to do multiple set ups to test them all. Professional aquariums have used him for help setting up - The GA aquarium, London Aquarium in England, etc. I'll probably just get a couple of the 4oz products (notably Re-Fresh, Waste-Away, and Eco-balance) and see how they work in my tank.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived