ReefCleaners.org

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BRS rox?

OK so the stand...

I filed the shart out of the supports tonight and I have it as good as I can get it. I reassembled the stand and it's level all the way around but....

qkm6OJB.jpg

Rmfwxs0.jpg

The tank sits like a mm or two in the front corners off the top of the stand... Womp womp.

Can I just get some foam and place it below to even it out?

http://www.norit.com/products-and-services/products/norit-rox-0.8/

But a few different places do sell it. I can't remember where I got mine, but it's rebranded as 'Vertex' and I got it on sale.

BRS says their premium 0.8 carbon is ROX. Vertex sells theirs on amazon for like 20 bucks for 1000mL.

Ok, more importantly right now - my stand. I think I can get a yoga mat or something like that to help the bottom of the tank. I hope so anyways... Thoughts? For reference: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350986-tibbsys-38l-stand-building-is-a-pain/?p=4864287

I could be wrong, but that foam piece that is on the bottom of the tank should flatten out a bit when the tank is full with water and level the tank, thus eliminating the need for something more under the tank. My tank was the same way until I filled it up, and it seems to sit perfectly level now. With the low volume of water these tanks hold, it shouldn't be an issue.

I could be wrong, but that foam piece that is on the bottom of the tank should flatten out a bit when the tank is full with water and level the tank, thus eliminating the need for something more under the tank. My tank was the same way until I filled it up, and it seems to sit perfectly level now. With the low volume of water these tanks hold, it shouldn't be an issue.

That may happen. I just would rather be safe than sorry. I'm not sure though as I've heard some people saying using foam can cause more problems than not? Blergh.

That may happen. I just would rather be safe than sorry. I'm not sure though as I've heard some people saying using foam can cause more problems than not? Blergh.

Lowes sells kitchen cabinet liners that are a rubbery foam material in thinner sizes than like a yoga mat many people use. It's actually pretty good for smoothing out surfaces without any uneven points.

Somehow after I finished my stand I ended up with this nearby... Weird. I've never seen something like this in a reef before...

IMG_20141029_192442.jpg

His name is Tucker. He's about 1.5-2 years old. He was a stray, but our adoption papers went through and he lives with us now! Very excited to have him. So far he's GREAT inside, but outside he needs some work. Gotta get his leash manners and his manners when he sees other dogs in tip top shape.

Yeah a bit. Bought a file this weekend and used it some. It works, but it's a HUGE pain in the ass. Not very smooth, carves the wood pretty bad. Oh well. Almost there!

I'm glad the file worked and you got the stand done. The only other option using hand tools would have been a hand plane with a shooting board which would not have been worth the extra effort. There's a good reason power tools are so popular :(

Love the new dog! He looks like a sweetie.

Cool- what type is he? That's a great thing your doing adopting a stray

Well, I thought he was a fuzzy limpet at first with all that hair but I'm not sure now... ;)

He's a beagle/hound/terrier/pit mix. The said he didn't have pit in him, but there is no way he's a dense and solid and strong as he is without a bit in him. If you see him from far away he looks like a little pit bull. But, he's got a LOT of beagle (especially the tail and coloration). His face is Terrier/beagle. Fortunately he doesn't have the beagle bark - at least not yet. He stands like a hound outside and he's a hunter for sure.

I'm all about rescue/adoption. No breeders for me. Fine for some, but too many great animals need homes and are put to sleep because someone wants a "pure" dog. I call BS. Best dogs I've ever had/worked with have all been mixed rescues. Doesn't mean breeder dogs are bad, doesn't mean I dislike them - I love all dogs, but for me, I only want to own rescues. Someone else can have the breeders.

He's cute.

Very. He's a cuddlebug, too :)

Very cute livestock you have there ;-)

Right?

Love the new dog! He looks like a sweetie.

He's pretty awesome. Great with people so far, eats well, plays a lot (already got him working on fetch), listens, doesn't bark (yet), no accidents (yet), loves to cuddle and play. He's got leash manner problems, though. We need to work on that. When he's inside he's very responsive and playful and will listen well - he follows us everywhere. Gets in his crate on his own, no problem. Outside is a different story. He pulls the leash, he completely ignores ANYTHING. Inside he's a food/treat magnet which has been great for training so far. Outside you could throw a bag of meat in front of him and he'd ignore it to try and get squirrels or other animals. We need to work on that.

Cool puppy!

About the tank. A drawer liner should work great to level out. I use them all the time.

For carbon. I know a lot of people use rox, but I've found it to be really strong. Depending on how your tank runs, you might want something that's not so harsh. I use the ESV carbon and also the brightwell pellet carbon with great results. A lot of people love the esv carbon.

Terriers are terrors. Terriers and beagles are both hunting dogs good luck with curbing that instinct. I am happy for you looks like a wonderful dog.

I have a beagle and a corgi. No squirrel, rabbit, or bird is safe in our yard. I've had a lot of dogs over the years but nothing beats a beagle. Mine didn't tongue for over a year. I thought she was broken then I played a you tube clip to her and she started doing it ever since lol. It was like she knew she had a voice in her somewhere but needed someone to show her how to let it out.

Terriers are terrors. Terriers and beagles are both hunting dogs good luck with curbing that instinct. I am happy for you looks like a wonderful dog.

I have a beagle and a corgi. No squirrel, rabbit, or bird is safe in our yard. I've had a lot of dogs over the years but nothing beats a beagle. Mine didn't tongue for over a year. I thought she was broken then I played a you tube clip to her and she started doing it ever since lol. It was like she knew she had a voice in her somewhere but needed someone to show her how to let it out.

I had a beagle terrier mix as a kid, he basically kept the mole population at my parents in check as well as rabbits, ground squirrels and groundhogs. Never seen a braver dog lb for lb, and thats with me having a boxer pit mix that put her head through a window to deter someone from breaking in. Love mutts lol.

I'm not worried about his interest in squirrels, but he needs to learn how to be on a leash.

Unfortunately we had to make an unexpected vet run this morning. He's been kind of stuffy the last day or two, and last night he got really lethargic. When I got up this morning to take him on a walk, there was blood in his cage :( Took him in, they don't think it's serious, but he's not eating much and he clearly doesn't feel that well. We've been swapping time at work with each other so one of us is always here.

Blood is not a good sign. Animals will get kennel flu which is basically them getting a cold, sneezing, runny nose and eyes from being in a kennel. But not blood. Please be vigilant, he may not have had his vaccines. Parvovirus and distemper cause the symptoms you mentioned. I would also be extremely careful to avoid getting scratched, he may also not have had timely rabies. Just be careful and I hope there is good news.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/canine-distemper

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/parvo-parvovirus-dogs

I agree with Kat... Hopefully you have nothing to worry about, but just be aware of how he's acting. I worked at a vet for a number of years, not as a tech, but I picked up on a lot.

Good luck man, I hope the pup is ok. I hate seeing animals not feeling well. Both of my (jerk) cats have had major medical procedures, one has had a bowel obstruction surgery, and almost had a paw amputated as it was strangled by a toy while we were out for the day, the other cat just had an ACL repair...ugh. Yall thought reefing was expensive.

Good luck man, I hope the pup is ok. I hate seeing animals not feeling well. Both of my (jerk) cats have had major medical procedures, one has had a bowel obstruction surgery, and almost had a paw amputated as it was strangled by a toy while we were out for the day, the other cat just had an ACL repair...ugh. Yall thought reefing was expensive.

I have a really good insurance plan. They are a good company and don't jip you. if you want to get a quote, PM me your email and I'll send you a referral link. The company is petplan.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived