Pod Your Reef

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a clown with a sixline. It really depends on the fish some sixlines can be butt heads but then again some clowns can be too. A possum wrasse or a pink streaked wrasse would work in a small tank like yours and probably take care of your pod problem. They do cost more that is the only downside.

Hmmmm... To be honest now that I've slept on it, I think I'll just have to wait it out. I'll be dipping the corals individually before placing them in the new tank, and I won't be using any old rock save for maybe some seeding of the cycle. Hopefully that will limit the little buggers in the new tank. I think I'll worry about setting up a fuge of some kind in the back and get the clown/goby combo I was planning before.

Also, it seems that some of the folks im friends with here are testing out new items for companies. I need to get in on that... Anyone need microbiology stuff? Lol

sixline will get too big for a 10 gallon tank. and they are a pita to get out. i used to actually take a long chopstick or wooden skewer to kill amphipods running around on the rocks =P.

Lol, yeah I was wondering about that myself, but they are always on my coral so I dont want to try that yet.

This morning the zoas were vacated of any pods. They were closed, but the 5 on the outer ring seemed fine. Only the middle one that was messed with seems off - the others still have that purple coloration, but the tip of the middle one is white? Maybe that head is dead/wounded now?

My wife has an appointment on Saturday for around 2.5 hours. That appointment happens to be 10 minutes from one of the LFS... It's going to be AWESOME! Too bad it's one of the ones that is kind of crappy. It is 1 of 2 stores in the area that share a name, and the other one is where I purchased the first emerald crab, the YCG that both died. This particular one is where I bought much of my hardware and I like them a lot.

The mantis pico is on hold for a while. I don't have the space for both the pico and this current tank in my place. I thought about it at work, but I probably can't keep it at work. We can eat at our desks, but we work with a waterborne pathogen as part of our lab, and 1.) the tank could get infected, 2.) If the water gets contaminated and I don't autoclave it, I'd be releasing super antibiotic resistant microbes into the public realm 3.) because I wouldn't KNOW that means I WOULD have to autoclave the water before dumping it and that's just a lot of resources and time that I don't have and 4.) I don't really have a way to put a decent light on the tank at my desk. Besides, my boss probably wouldn't like it. EHS would pitch a fit.

So for now, this will be my only tank. My ultimate goal will be to have a 20L drilled and sumped to a 40B sump, with a mantis/macro forest fuge in the center chamber. It'll be a pod haven and a place for a mantis. I think a G. smithii.

Do you have your tank wet yet? I have to say, so far I am pretty impressed with this little beast. I got my livestock all moved over today, and it looks very sharp. Much better than my Spec V. I still have to tweek it a little, and rearrange some corals, but the tank itself is nice. :-)

Do you have your tank wet yet? I have to say, so far I am pretty impressed with this little beast. I got my livestock all moved over today, and it looks very sharp. Much better than my Spec V. I still have to tweek it a little, and rearrange some corals, but the tank itself is nice. :-)

Nope. Still need to brace the stand and haven't had time to get to the hardware store. Need to rinse my sand, figure out rockscape, make up water, etc.

Wow that's nice.

Right? They originally said they were going to have 8 kessils above this thing and make it a massive frag tank, but I think they realized they didn't need that many :D

Right? They originally said they were going to have 8 kessils above this thing and make it a massive frag tank, but I think they realized they didn't need that many :D

lol thats nuts, my lfs had a 500g with 12 radions over it before they moved locations. seemed a bit excessive

jedimasterben

lol thats nuts, my lfs had a 500g with 12 radions over it before they moved locations. seemed a bit excessive

Not really, when you take spread into account. Ecotech will say that the Radion covers a 36x36 area with no problems, but any stony corals in the tank will really only receive light on one side, so their growth will be strange and they'll be most colorful only on the side that faces the light.

More sources of light = more coverage = more better :)

Not really, when you take spread into account. Ecotech will say that the Radion covers a 36x36 area with no problems, but any stony corals in the tank will really only receive light on one side, so their growth will be strange and they'll be most colorful only on the side that faces the light.

More sources of light = more coverage = more better :)

the tank is like 40 inches deep or something so i think its 40x40x72, are they effective at that depth was more my thought... he had the spread easy.

I've been a bad reef-keeper. I'm 2 weeks behind on my water change... lol I can see the stringy bacterial gunk in the AC70 again. Womp womp. I'll just do what I've been doing - vinegar and a toothbrush. I'm just sort of letting it slide before the new tank is completely set up... My zoas are furious, but everything else is doing well. The punk rockers are open except the middle, main polyp which is still closed up and white. The others seem to have fewer tendrils on their polyps. Now the watermelons are doing the same, just not as bad. They are pretty hardy, so I think they are just closed up. I'm going to dip them heavily when I swap to the new tank, just in case I somehow have a nudi.

As for fish - how does a clown and a rainfordi goby sound?

I think I'm having an issue with my nanobox?

Last night I did my delayed tank maintenance and turned off my power strips, one of which houses the nanobox power cord and the storm controller power cord. After I finished and got everything taken care of, I turned the light back on (i.e. I turned the power strip back on) and noticed the tank looked teal and not blue. I did a quick check and it looks like 4 blues are on, a cyan-esque one, and the lime is on.The rest of the LEDs are "glowing". I went back into the settings to see if the Night PWM had changed, but channel 1 is still at 1 and the rest of the channels are at 0. I checked the plug for the light into the controller and it's plugged in properly. I posted in the NanoBox Storm Settings thread. I'm not sure what's going on?

Im in your world tibbs

attachicon.gif20141007_094111.jpg

Only wimps use biosafety hoods!

jk ;)

I love biosafety hoods - they keep my cell cultures nice and happy and not contaminated. I don't use them much except for cell culturing now. All my bacterial stuff is at the bench or in the anaerobic chamber.

So Barry 2.0 died. He had been getting more pale over the last couple of weeks and being less active. I thought he was getting ready to molt, but he died. I found him Thursday morning curled up on his back twitching his arms and legs. I still wasn't sure if he was dying or molting. I got back in town last night to find a dead, dismembered crab. Womp womp.

Beyonce is doing well. Something ate my blue sympodium, as there is literally nothing there, not even the epoxy I put it on when I glued it down. Cousteau scared the crap out of me this morning as I thought he was dead, too. But it was just a fresh molt. Everyone looks good except those punk rocker zoas and they are at least open. They only have a few orange tendrils, the rest are gone, but they are open and trying to recover. The middle one is still closed and white, but beginning to open again. I think a couple of drops of phytochrom will help the whole tank ;)

Jedimasterben is amazing and has sent me some dry rock, which I will be scaping as soon as I get it. Should have gotten it today, but there is some thing about some jerk who killed a bunch of natives and turned them in to slaves and ravaged them with disease and torture that we are celebrating so the USPS isn't working today.

jedimasterben

funny you mention the dead crab. I lost my strawberry crab several months ago, but i moved a rock the other day and found one of his molts inside it, lol. Made me double take.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived