SaltCritters.com

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any brown fuzz on the rocks. LIES AND MADE UP FACTS.

:D

Lol, it's there. I hope it's not cyano. I think it's either diatoms or brown hair algae-stuff. It's easy to clean off the glass and such. Just kind of a pain. I really need to get a new CUC.

jedimasterben

Lol, it's there. I hope it's not cyano. I think it's either diatoms or brown hair algae-stuff. It's easy to clean off the glass and such. Just kind of a pain. I really need to get a new CUC.

That's nothing. When your rocks look like this then you can complain :P

IMG_9678.jpg

IMG_9590.jpg

jedimasterben

Lol, oh I know. It's just going through the "Hi, I'm a new tank and I'm adjusting to a new bioload." uglies

I don't think you've even reached that stage yet. Your rock is white in that picture lol

White in the pictures, definitely brown in person. Not terribly brown, but there is fuzziness all over.

I think I have too much rock, to be honest. The scape was a compromise between me an my wife (she loves it right now, btw, even liked my coral placement). I may end up removing some of if to free up water space and allow for more coral placement. I'm realizing the vertical stack in the rear left is VERY linear and vertical. There are not many outcroppings.

I'm with Jedi - I suspect you have more brown loveliness to enjoy before it gets better. But it will get better!

I do see what you mean about the rockscape - I think it's really pretty but there aren't many place to glue corals without going sideways :)

Yeah, I really like the LOOK of the rock scape. It's the first scape I've ever put together that I like to look at. It's very pretty, imo. It's not functional, though. I need to rethink the whole thing. I need rock and plenty of space to plant coral and allow for flow, but this one isn't it.

This is probably a silly question, but how do you guys change the name of your topics......and add FTS to the first of the topic so that if someone were to click on the topic they see your most current FTS first?

Sorry, I'm not really computer illiterate, but clearly, my forum skills are lacking :-)

jedimasterben

This is probably a silly question, but how do you guys change the name of your topics......and add FTS to the first of the topic so that if someone were to click on the topic they see your most current FTS first?

Sorry, I'm not really computer illiterate, but clearly, my forum skills are lacking :-)

Just edit the first post, and when it changes to edit mode, click 'Full editor' and it will allow you to change the title.

Ok so tonight my goal is to redo me rock scape. I am trying to figure it out now. It's tough because I really actually like my rock scale but it isn't functional.

Doc you can draw till your fingerprints rub off but it won't match the actual scape. Go with a basic idea, then just play with it.

Oh I know, I'm just trying to get a feel for a general lay out to allow for maximum space for coral. I don't have much room, basically 12x12.

:slap:

My pico is 7X7

right but you had that tree thing. And the pico was temporary. I am trying to make a reef that looks great, with plenty of diversity, that will last and thrive.

You are also a fashion/design person. You have an eye for these things. I am a scientist - I experiment and try to optimize everything. I see things in numbers and flow and color etc.

I'm the same way. When I got my uncured live rock, I cut out a 12x12 piece of cardboard and started playing with the rock on the workbench to see if I could come up with something I liked. It did help show me how much I needed to break up some of the rocks so they would fit, but after an hour I couldn't come up with anything I liked.

Then I panicked because my live rock had been sitting out dry for an hour. So I dumped it all in the tank and somehow in five minutes I came up with the scape I've got now, which I'm pretty happy with and haven't needed to change yet.

In hindsight I can't really say whether playing around with it on the workbench helped me with the final arrangement through some subconscious process, or if it was just dump luck :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm going home from work in a few minutes and will be trying to get an idea of where I want my rock to go. It'll probably just end up one big ol' lump in the middle on the tank, lol.

On another note, I think this is a great article. A lot of these things I have been scratching my head about since I started in the hobby - namely the prices some people charge for their corals "morphs," or phenotypes as I prefer to call them.

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/12/11/reefers-code-formally-mike-paletta/

Awesome upgrade! I jumped around, didn't hit every page, but I like the scape you came up with. Are you still planning to change it up?

Thanks! I am. It's too much. It blocks flow and I can't get down near the glass in most places to clean off the brown algae that's forming everywhere. I am still working on it, but I removed 2 big chunks and have the others just sitting in place until I figure out an option for them.

dIvD04f.jpg

LNTfEU5.jpg

I'm thinking of placing the one biggest piece with the tunnel shape on it in the back, with the tunnel shape facing down. Then I will likey put the skinny arrow piece that currently has the hammer in the back right standing up higher, and then the fat flat piece in the front center between the 2 other pieces. I have a couple of small bits I can use to stack up a bit of height in the rear for some extra depth and coral space.

Before I took out the 2 pieces I removed, my wife looked at the tank and said she liked this MUCH better. I'm still figuring it out.

Thanks! I'm still working on it, heading home from work here shortly to do more.

I'm thinking I am going to put the kenya tree on the left side, the hammer in the middle left, the zoas anywhere I feel like, the ricordea in the front where the flow is a bit less, and then the GSP on the right side/back. I'll plce some xenia back there too if I can find it ;)

love the new scape. get some gorgs to fill in vertical space and it will be one sexxxxy build

Thanks. I'm not ready for gorgs yet, lol. I need to actually learn to take care of this tank first. Fish are up next when the holiday break ends and I get back in town.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived